What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

Hmm it's already weird. I plan to read the other half of the book in thursday, so that I can really her into the setting and don't have to put it away. I feel like that would make it easier to keep track with the story.

And then I'll see if I like it or not.

I have not read the third one yet. The main thing that people find "weird", I guess is actual character development. One could argue it has little to no bearing on the story, but I would argue that if you only read for story/plot, you aren't really reading. 

With my little soapbox speech out of the way, the first two books do offer a pretty complete story. I had to go straight to the Dark Forest after Three Body Problem, but have been able to take a year break for Death's End, not because I didn't like it, but at least as far as I can tell, a lot of the major plot points get resolved pretty satisfactorily by the end of Dark Forest. Enough that I can get lost in other books!

49 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

The main thing that people find "weird", I guess is actual character development.

Can't speak for everyone, obviously, but the actual sci-fi aspects in these seemed particularly weird to me.  Everything about the Sophons, for instance

2 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I have not read the third one yet. The main thing that people find "weird", I guess is actual character development. One could argue it has little to no bearing on the story, but I would argue that if you only read for story/plot, you aren't really reading. 

With my little soapbox speech out of the way, the first two books do offer a pretty complete story. I had to go straight to the Dark Forest after Three Body Problem, but have been able to take a year break for Death's End, not because I didn't like it, but at least as far as I can tell, a lot of the major plot points get resolved pretty satisfactorily by the end of Dark Forest. Enough that I can get lost in other books!

What I like best atm are the characters and their changes and motivations. I find the actual plot a bit hard to understand, with the game they're playing and the research and so on. I have a good guess what is going on, but then there are those historical scenes and I can't fit them in the picture.

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

What I like best atm are the characters and their changes and motivations. I find the actual plot a bit hard to understand, with the game they're playing and the research and so on. I have a good guess what is going on, but then there are those historical scenes and I can't fit them in the picture.

Ok that’s what I was thinking was probably bothering you, the game. It will make a lot more sense by the end of the book!

Just finished Shadows of Self. Here are my thoughts:

It was a good story and had some parallels to both FE and WOA with the riots and Kandra twist at the end.

Reading the broadsheets here and in AOL I wonder what the point of Allomancer Jak is and how important he actually is to the Era 2 history. This is Sanderson we're talking about, everything has a point and a reason behind it.

It's kind of sad how Wayne treats Steris, especially when he point blank tells her that he hates her... while we're reading in her head.

Spoiler

That metal that Marasai and MeLaan discuss at all he end, which Shard could it possibly come from that allows it behave like any of the 16 metals in hemalurgy and why is this Shard making their presence known on Scadrial? I've seen the theories about it possibly being Autonomy but the effect of the metal doesn't seem to fit with what is currently known about her power on Taldain, unless each Shard gives a different effect on different planets.

Next up is Elantris 10th Anniversary Edition. Going to be nice getting a refresher on Sel before AU later

Edit: Probably would've finished a lot sooner but summer is the worst time of year for me to do anything. I can't function properly during summer, the season always makes reading a chore more than anything and when I'm in a vehicle during summer I become so sleepy (which is bad if I'm driving at the time when that hits). One of my coworkers said it sounds like how everyone else feels during winter, which is interesting since I'm more active then.

Edited by Draginon

7 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Because it's fun.

I kind of mean he's developed this character up that it feels reminiscent of the epigraphs from Era 1 so I'm wondering if Jak will pop up at some point or turn out to be a known character.

On 8.8.2018 at 1:17 PM, StormingTexan said:

Ok that’s what I was thinking was probably bothering you, the game. It will make a lot more sense by the end of the book!

Yes it did. I just started the Second one and now it makes more sense. Good book, really like it now. It was a while since I got so confused....

On 8/4/2018 at 8:33 AM, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Grace of Kings by Ken Liu

I'm a little behind, but yes! I loved that book and it's sequel. The series is weird at first, but pretty easy to get into once you get past the "unconventional" storytelling method.

just started on Dust of Dreams in my Malazan reread.  Pretty sure the last 3 books took me longer than the first 7 the 1st time I read through it, and it is looking like it will be the same this time.  I like the series, especially the earlier books, and these last few books have their moments, but overall I find them to be a slog.

44 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

just started on Dust of Dreams in my Malazan reread.  Pretty sure the last 3 books took me longer than the first 7 the 1st time I read through it, and it is looking like it will be the same this time.  I like the series, especially the earlier books, and these last few books have their moments, but overall I find them to be a slog.

The Crippled God is my new favorite after finishing my reread a few weeks ago. Lots of action and stuff happening. 

5 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

The Crippled God is my new favorite after finishing my reread a few weeks ago. Lots of action and stuff happening. 

i'll reasses when i get to it, but I recall it being slow going.  though by that point it could just be that I was burned out on reading the ~10,000 pages of the series

I started a reread of N.K. Jemisins "The fifth season". It really touched me the first time. The characters are well developped and the world building had something new and interessting. Sometimes it was a bit hard to read, because it depicts humanity and human actions in dire situations in very realistic and cruel way, but I liked it even because there was no overall untouchable hero, but all the characters were simply human.

Afterwards my brother is hopefully back from his holiday and can give me the third part of the Three body problem.

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

I started a reread of N.K. Jemisins "The fifth season". It really touched me the first time. The characters are well developped and the world building had something new and interessting. Sometimes it was a bit hard to read, because it depicts humanity and human actions in dire situations in very realistic and cruel way, but I liked it even because there was no overall untouchable hero, but all the characters were simply human.

Afterwards my brother is hopefully back from his holiday and can give me the third part of the Three body problem.

Another series I need to finish! Fifth Season was fantastic! 

Read

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a storm by Mark Manson

Recently i traveled somewhere with someone and she had this book which she wasn't in the mood for reading so i ended up reading it. It is essentially a self-help book (which usually i dislike and find pretentious/uneffective) but this one is actually good. It doesn't make you pretend to be happy or positive but rather accept your circumstances which is good to me as advises goes.

Might be the only self-help book that i actually would recommend.