What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Have finished my Fitz 1-9 power read. There was some really great moments in 7-9(I steamed through the last 400+ pgs of 9 these past 3 days) but it was easily my least favorite of the 3 trilogies!

now I must focus on finishing Return of the Crimson Guard without picking up another book as well. I hope I can do this but 30 minutes after putting up Fitz 9 I already want to pick up Outlander 4.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:01 PM, daschaich said:

I'm planning a change of pace that will probably take the form of either Jim Butcher's Brief Cases or Mike Brooks's Dark Run.

Dark Run by Mike Brooks ("that scifi author with the mohawk") was just the sort of change of pace I was looking for after a lot of N. K. Jemisin.  There was a definite Firefly vibe, though not as much as I was expecting based on this review that brought it to my attention.  I have a long flight over the weekend, for which I'll move on to the next book in this series (Dark Sky).  Even though I was able to turn off my internal line editor for most of Brooks's first book, I'm interested to see if his prose gets any tighter in the second.

19 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Definitely would not be for the uncool and uncouth! ;)

Hah well the prose is a little different and its really unique how he switches between the macro and the micro storytelling methods. He will zoom out and describe a entire persons life in just a few pages and zoom in to tell what's happening presently in the story. I think he was trying to tell these ancient chinese history and stories, but in a different way to a wider audience.

Edited by Ammanas

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Hah well the prose is a little different and its really unique how he switches between the macro and the micro storytelling methods. He will zoom out and describe a entire persons life in just a few pages and zoom in to tell what's happening presently in the story. I think he was trying to tell these ancient chinese history and stories, but in a different way to a wider audience.

I saw Ken Liu in a couple panels at Readercon. He said a significant number of readers complained to him that the Dandelion Dynasty did not "feel Chinese" After a laugh from the audience he then said that he aimed to write an Chinese fantasy that "did not feel Chinese. " The implication being that he was avoiding Western expectations of Chinese culture, history and society. 

22 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I'm currently reading the Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin and translated by Ken Liu. It's an epic sci-fi novel that really, really gets you thinking about other lifeforms and the universe as a whole.

that series gets really weird pretty fast, but it was definitely interesting.

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

I'm currently reading the Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin and translated by Ken Liu. It's an epic sci-fi novel that really, really gets you thinking about other lifeforms and the universe as a whole.

I need to finish that trilogy. Loved Three Body Problem and The Dark Forest! 

The Dark Forest did kinda kill the book club I was in at the time... but I've never been part of a book club that could survive thoughtful science fiction! 

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

that series gets really weird pretty fast, but it was definitely interesting.

Yeah I've noticed haha. It's a great read and something I'd like to see on the big screen but noticed it's also in development limbo. 

45 minutes ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I need to finish that trilogy. Loved Three Body Problem and The Dark Forest! 

The Dark Forest did kinda kill the book club I was in at the time... but I've never been part of a book club that could survive thoughtful science fiction! 

The first book is a great introduction to the series but it can be a bit confusing and not appealling due to this. It's a shame though, it's one of my favourite sci-fi series. 

for couple of days now Ive been reading Star Wars Cestus Deception and about done reading it.

Dunno what else I might start reading this month.  I might start reading a little bit of Mistborn sometime tonight or start reading the Alien and Aliens movie novelizations i got from the barnes and noble store

Watching paint dry is more entertaining than Crossroads of the Twilight 

I'm reading book 2 of Otherland called River of Blue Fire. Classic Tad Williams style. It's all about the journey rather than the destination; it's a lot of fun

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Watching paint dry is more entertaining than Crossroads of the Twilight 

I'm reading book 2 of Otherland called River of Blue Fire. Classic Tad Williams style. It's all about the journey rather than the destination; it's a lot of fun

If your reading on paper make sure you check bk 3 so you don’t buy a defective copy like I did.

I just started reading the "Three body problem" by Cixin Liu and I'm about halfway finished.
My brother recommended it and I thought I could try it. It has a really fascinating setting, and some interessting characters, but I'm not sure if I like or if I don't. Somehome I don't really get a grip on the plot. Well, I plan to finish reading it and maybe read the next part too. My brother usually likes the same books, and if he recommended it, that usually means something.
Did anyone here read it?

I just finished reading Star Wars Cestus Deception 2 hours ago today.

Now I dunno what Ill read today and onward.  I have these books planned to read for this month

Dan Brown's Angels and Demons

Star Wars Dark Disciple which ill start reading today. I read Star Wars books pretty fast anyway

little bit of Mistborn to see if ill like it

Alien and Aliens movie novelizations which they;re on my to do list since last year

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

I just started reading the "Three body problem" by Cixin Liu and I'm about halfway finished.
My brother recommended it and I thought I could try it. It has a really fascinating setting, and some interessting characters, but I'm not sure if I like or if I don't. Somehome I don't really get a grip on the plot. Well, I plan to finish reading it and maybe read the next part too. My brother usually likes the same books, and if he recommended it, that usually means something.
Did anyone here read it?

I've read the entire series a couple times. I liked it but I can say it is probably not for everyone and it gets a little deep and weird the farther you go down the rabbit hole.

6 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I've read the entire series a couple times. I liked it but I can say it is probably not for everyone and it gets a little deep and weird the farther you go down the rabbit hole.

Hmm it's already weird. I plan to read the other half of the book in thursday, so that I can really her into the setting and don't have to put it away. I feel like that would make it easier to keep track with the story.

And then I'll see if I like it or not.

Just finished reading new spring by the late robert jordan.  goddess above me what that a rough read.  So storming boring!  Ugh....  The testing scene was cool though.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Hmm it's already weird. I plan to read the other half of the book in thursday, so that I can really her into the setting and don't have to put it away. I feel like that would make it easier to keep track with the story.

And then I'll see if I like it or not.

Haha yeah well it only gets weirder although I think some of the weirdness you may be up to half way gets explained by the end of the first book if I am remembering correctly. The series is kind of a story about what can go wrong (maybe a little right?) concerning the Fermi Paradox. That is probably not the best summarization but the best I can come up with. It gets more and more interesting as it goes in my opinion but if your not in to it after the end of the first book the next two will probably not help.