What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

11 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I finished book 4 of WoT last night, and I started book 5 today. I'm really enjoying this series so far and I'm pretty hooked to it now.

That's the spirit :D 

I read the entire Lightbringer series (so far) in the space of 5 days this past week. Nothing quite like binging a good series.

16 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Did you ever get to this book? If you have what did you like and dislike about it?

I'd give it 3/5.   It's interesting and easy enough to read, though slow at times.  Also super grim.  Everyone's angry and bitter while living in a city that has fallen on hard times.

There was a dual mystery at it's core regarding the death of the MC's friend and the earlier death of a god.  This was my initial interest and what kept me reading, but.....well the end reveals regarding the two deaths were a little disappointing.

Finished Wrath of Empire. Really solid second book excited for the last. Was glad to see my favorite character show up in the end wish he had more screen time though. 

Also finished a re-read of the  Kingkiller Chronicles. This is the first time I have re-read TWMF. I loved TNoTW but was less impressed by TWMF. This time around I liked TWMF a lot more. I'll tell you this though.. Man re-reading this prompted me to check in to see if there was any news on the release of the third book. I figured there wasn't or I would have already heard but still had to. Reading fan's thoughts and Rothfuss replies makes me appreciate Brandon even more. 

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Also finished a re-read of the  Kingkiller Chronicles. This is the first time I have re-read TWMF. I loved TNoTW but was less impressed by TWMF. This time around I liked TWMF a lot more. I'll tell you this though.. Man re-reading this prompted me to check in to see if there was any news on the release of the third book. I figured there wasn't or I would have already heard but still had to. Reading fan's thoughts and Rothfuss replies makes me appreciate Brandon even more. 

It's a reason why I have convinced myself that it is ok for Brandon to jump around with what he writes. If that allows him to avoid the depression, writer's block, anxiety or ennui that would affect the timely release of Cosmere novels, so be it! 

I have serious doubts that Rothfuss will finish Door of Stone. Especially since at this point, there is sooo much pressure and expectation built up that he will not meet. 

4 hours ago, Zellyia said:

I'd give it 3/5.   It's interesting and easy enough to read, though slow at times.  Also super grim.  Everyone's angry and bitter while living in a city that has fallen on hard times.

Ok thanks! I like fantasy books that are on the grim side so I will probably end up liking it more. 

2 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

have serious doubts that Rothfuss will finish Door of Stone. Especially since at this point, there is sooo much pressure and expectation built up that he will not meet. 

Rothfuss might be going down the Virgil path in all seriousness. Virgil worked for years on the Aeneid constantly fine tuning it, changing it, and trying to make it meet it satisfaction. At his death he ordered the manuscript burned...of couse, luckily, his orders were not followed.

It's a shame that such a promising author has so little clue of how to handle the situation. If he could give even two updates a year explaining the situation I feel he would be greeted with understanding and sympathy.  Instead he gives no updates, except to brag about the hours he spends on videogames and other things and gets his feelings hurt when fans get upset. I feel that I am a average fan that is pretty understanding about the need for balance in a persons life, but I do not feel like he is handling the situation well.

4 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I have serious doubts that Rothfuss will finish Door of Stone. Especially since at this point, there is sooo much pressure and expectation built up that he will not meet. 

Same. And I while I can understand why he's taking so long, the lack of updates really isn't helping him - it's making lots of fans annoyed.

Anyway, I am currently rereading:

The Raven Cycle (finished Dream Thieves yesterday and am currently working on the Raven King).

Warbreaker

I Am Number Four

And I think I'm still technically rereading Harry Potter.... I should probably get back to that.

No new books, since I have no money and I read my last 5 new books in like 2 days.

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Rothfuss might be going down the Virgil path in all seriousness. Virgil worked for years on the Aeneid constantly fine tuning it, changing it, and trying to make it meet it satisfaction. At his death he ordered the manuscript burned...of couse, luckily, his orders were not followed.

It's a shame that such a promising author has so little clue of how to handle the situation. If he could give even two updates a year explaining the situation I feel he would be greeted with understanding and sympathy.  Instead he gives no updates, except to brag about the hours he spends on videogames and other things and gets his feelings hurt when fans get upset. I feel that I am a average fan that is pretty understanding about the need for balance in a persons life, but I do not feel like he is handling the situation well.

Not sure if you follow his blog but he does not help himself any there either.  I agree I think he is stuck in endless revisions. I completely respect that he wants the book as perfect as possible. I hope he gets there but loosing a little faith it will ever be released. Then what kills me is he says "this is only the begging of the stories in this world". 

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

I do not feel like he is handling the situation well.

I worry we might be derailing this thread a bit, but I want to say that I think Pat is handling the third book better than he did the second one a decade ago.  Back then he promised a (stupidly over-optimistic) deadline, and issued updates and apologies that were so self-effacing they could be uncomfortable to read (examples here and here).  Later on he revealed that he had been working basically 15-hour days seven days a week for months on end to try to meet his self-imposed deadline, which perversely produced slower progress than if he had recharged by spending some time playing a video game every day or two.

So the announcement he made during the Wise Man's Fear tour, that there is no deadline for the third book and he's working hard on it even if he doesn't constantly advertise that fact, strikes me as a much better way to go.  The updates I've seen make it clear that the book remains a priority and continues to progress.  I'm fully confident it will be finished, and I'm not bothered about when that happens.

(In some of those past updates, Pat also clarified why his revisions are not amenable to steady updates and progress bars the way Brandon's are---instead of blasting straight through each draft, he pulls apart scenes, settings and characters that have problems, tries to rework them in some way that hopefully helps, reincorporates them into the manuscript, and then has to deal with the new problems that these changes have caused.  This is an example I noticed while surfing around.)

Pivoting back to "What Are You Reading", well, I'm not reading anything at the moment.  I've been too busy since finishing N. K. Jemisin's Kingdom of Gods last month.  It ended up my least favorite volume in her Inheritance Trilogy, so instead of moving on to The Fifth Season I'm planning a change of pace that will probably take the form of either Jim Butcher's Brief Cases or Mike Brooks's Dark Run.  This should happen after I get through my fourth and final major July deadline next week.

I can't find anything with the search bar so my apologies but has anyone read Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio? Looks to be a cross between Science Fiction and Fantasy in the essence of Dune? First in a planned series that was released in the last few months. It's got good reviews and I have it ordered but just wondered what anyone's thoughts are if they have read it?

@Wander89 I have read it and really liked it. It reminds me a bit of Name of the Wind where the protagonist has a legendary past and he is now chronicling the real story. There is a bit of Dune with the distrust of technology, some philosophy, and the great houses who rule under a empire, but I found the prose to be much easier than Frank Herbert. A lot happens in the book, but not a lot happens. What I mean is that the protagonist does a bunch of things, but it is very much a origins installment and he doesn't touch on any of the things that he is famous for; although I am sure he will get to it in later books of the series. I dont know how many books will be in the series, but he has mentioned that he is already outlining the third book.

Edited by Ammanas

12 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Wander89 I have read it and really liked it. It reminds me a bit of Name of the Wind where the protagonist has a legendary past and he is now chronicling the real story. There is a bit of Dune with the distrust of technology, some philosophy, and the great houses who rule under a empire, but I found the prose to be much easier than Frank Herbert. A lot happens in the book, but not a lot happens. What I mean is that the protagonist does a bunch of things, but it is very much a origins installment and he doesn't touch on any of the things that he is famous for; although I am sure he will get to it in later books of the series. I dont know how many books will be in the series, but he has mentioned that he is already outlining the third book.

Thanks for the response. I think it's enough to get me interested or to give it a try at least so i'll see  how it fares :lol: The Dune and Name of the Wind references are enough for me!

13 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I don't know, but I'm still mad about that. He was becoming one of my favorites and Robert Jordan had to just go and kill him like that.

There is a very unnecessary (in my opinion at least) death at the end that still bothers me. Edit: I think Brandon was against it but it was in Jordan's notes so it happened. 

Edited by StormingTexan

51 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Who killed Asmodean?

Spoiler

The Glossary of Towers of Midnight says of Graendal: "A ruthless killer, she was responsible for the deaths of Aran'gar and Asmodean and for the destruction of Mesaana." In the book itself, Shaidar Haran states that Graendal's actions have led to the deaths of three Chosen: "Three Chosen, destroyed by your actions." Towers of Midnight makes it clear that two of these are Aran'gar and Mesaana. As no other Forsaken's deaths are attributable to her, this can most reasonably be taken as confirmation that she did in fact kill Asmodean.

Edited by Ammanas