What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

About a quarter of the way through Wrath of Empire - book 2 of the "Gods of Blood and Powder" series; 5th Powder Mage book; by Brian McClellan.

Very irksome that I have to go to work all day & cannot just finish reading this excellent tome.

Mad Ben Styke!!!

This thread hasn't seen any activity for 5 days, so I hope the mods will forgive my double post...

I finished Forever Fantasy Online (it was awesome!) and have begun re-reading Oathbringer for the first time since its release.

Finished the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence not too long ago and absolutly loved it. So started The prince of fools book one of his second trilogy and loved that so much I finished it in 5 days and I usually take about 3 week to get threw a book I can't wait to get the other two. I highly recommend them to anyone into the grimdark genre. 

Edited by Hempknight

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, Storming Radiant said:

I finished A Crown of Swords and started PoD. It wasn't as boring as everyone told me it'll be. I enjoyed it quite a lot...

Hmm.  If everyone was telling you about one WoT book in particular, it should have been Crossroads of Twilight, not A Crown of Swords.  So you have that to look forward to.

My personal low point will always be Path of Daggers for reasons that are maybe slightly spoilery if I mention it:

Spoiler

No Mat viewpoint chapters.  Whatever issues people have with Crossorads, at least it had Mat chapters to liven it up.  PoD is all slog to me without him.  I also dislike the first 2 books, and book 3 may be my favorite...there is a definite pattern there.

Finished Firefight today. It was a little slow and dull in the beginning but got better towards the end. My thoughts will be put in a spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

I didn't really care for Val and Exel and wasn't all that sad when they were killed.

Dawnslight was a good character despite how little he appeared.

I've been to New York and had a hard time imagining it flooded like in the book.

It was cool seeing Megen use her powers to overpower Prof at the end.

Can't wait to see if Mizzy gets over Megen killing Sam in Calamity

Next up back to Scadrial with Shadows of Self

On WoT: Crown of Swords is actually one of my favorite of the series. My personal least fav is Path of Daggers due to a lack of something but Crossroads of Twilight is the most boring by a mile but atleast it had what PoD lacked. That may sound confusing.

I also don’t get the hate that Crown and Winters Heart get. Both were awesome. Definitely don’t get the hate that Knife of Dreams gets as RJ

finally really set the end game in motion

Just finished Brian McClellan's Wrath of Empire for the 2nd time (book 2 in the "Gods of Blood and Powder" trilogy). So excellent! Srsly, I think this is the most fulfilling book-2-of-a-trilogy I have ever read. Many plot lines have satisfying conclusions, even while they're setting up for the final book. If you haven't read any of his Powder Mage books, you're missing out. If you want to check it out with a short read, try the e-novella "Ghosts of the Tristan Basin;" it introduces several of the characters in this latest series including the marvelous Mad Ben Styke.

Hmmm ... maybe Mad Ben Styke is a bit like the Blackthorn (Dalinar in his younger days), but without the Thrill - - more in control of the bloodlust, and with a morality that causes him to protect the weak. Not an exact parallel, but some similarities - ??

But as much as I like Ben, my favorite character in "Blood & Powder" might be Celine. I would love to know if McClellan pattered her after a real little girl he knows; she is amazing!

Edited by Lump-wing
spelling

9 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

Just finished Brian McClellan's Wrath of Empire for the 2nd time (book 2 in the "Gods of Blood and Powder" trilogy). So excellent! Srsly, I think this is the most fulfilling book-2-of-a-trilogy I have ever read. Many plot lines have satisfying conclusions, even while they're setting up for the final book. If you haven't read an of his Powder Mage books, you're missing out. If you want to check it out with a short read, try the e-novella "Ghosts of the Tristan Basin;" it introduces several of the characters in this latest series including the marvelous Mad Ben Styke.

Hmmm ... maybe Mad Ben Styke is a bit like the Blackthorn (Dalinar in his younger days), but without the Thrill - - more in control of the bloodlust, and with a morality that causes him to protect the weak. Not an exact parallel, but some similarities - ??

But as much as I like Ben, my favorite character in "Blood & Powder" might be Celine. I would love to know if McClellan pattered her after a real little girl he knows; she is amazing!

Oh wow I didn’t know the second book was out! Just bought it. I liked Sins of Empire a lot can’t wait to read this one!

I needed some fantasy heist books in my life, so splurged and bought:

1) The Hover Alley Crew by Marshall Ryan Maresca 

2) The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn by Tyler Whitesides

^This is thehe one I'm currently reading, about half way through.  The heists/conning people/loveable rogue bits are fun, but then it kinda gets bogged down by too heavy "hey the world is in peril" stuff and an overly complicated plan to save it.   The magic system is interesting and reminds me a bit of Mistborn Era 2 (think magic bullets).  Characters are...eh...standard bordering on cliche. 

3) The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston

4) Steal the Sky by Megan O'Keefe

I hate feeling like this but it is how it is...on Fitz 8(Robin Hobbs Farseer books) and I’m just not digging this newest trilogy at all baring a handful of moments. 230 pgs left then bk 9 remain. Bks 7-8 have been a huge disappointment on one of my favorite series. :( I’m actually down right heartbroken about it.

Edited by Briar King

On 6/29/2018 at 7:24 PM, Zellyia said:

The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn by Tyler Whitesides

^This is thehe one I'm currently reading, about half way through.  The heists/conning people/loveable rogue bits are fun, but then it kinda gets bogged down by too heavy "hey the world is in peril" stuff and an overly complicated plan to save it.   The magic system is interesting and reminds me a bit of Mistborn Era 2 (think magic bullets).  Characters are...eh...standard bordering on cliche. 

3) The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston

The Thousands Deaths...is next on my list after the book I am currently reading. The Traitor God book I am waiting for my library to get a copy, but it looks intriguing!

Right now I am reading Empire of Silence by Ruocchio. It is a stunning debut that is kind of like a mix of Name of the Wind and Dune; it has excellent worldbuilding and very polished prose. 

Also sorry to hear that B.K...its tough when a favorite series starts to head downhill.

Edited by Ammanas

about midway thorough Midnight Tides in my Malazan reread and I may have to take a break after thos one.  I can feel myself burning out.  At the very least I may need to switch to lighter fare for a bit before I get into the next one.

I haven't been on here in a long time. I'm actually reading the Wheel of Time for the first time and I'm on book three right now. It's actually really really good so far. I don't know why I was so scared to start reading it.