What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I'm reading Oathbringer currently. Oathbringer's not a good thing to dedicate yourself to a few weeks before finals....... Anyways, I have around 480 pages left, but due to school I'm probably going to end up taking longer than I would like to read it. I'm planning to read The Martian and do my Harry Potter re-read with my best friend after I finish Oathbringer.

On 07/12/2017 at 6:48 AM, Briar King said:

Probably close to heresy on this Board but I’m really struggling with Oath... 

I too struggled with it. But when "you might not know who" appeared, and "you might not know what" happened, I quickened my pace, and withdrew my hands from the book only after finishing it. 

Just as Ernest Cline let me down with his second book Andy Weir did as well with Artemis. I loved The Martian and was looking forward to his second book. The premise sounded good and the plot wasn't horrible but the characters.. Especially the main protagonist. She is a young women written like a 15 yea old boy. Just horrible and completely unbelievable. Mr. Weir clearly does not know how to write women. I think if he would have written the main protagonist as a man it would have helped but still not the level of quality The Martian was.Disappointed. 

I also read a Sci-Fi classic I've been meaning to for a while Rendezvous with Rama. It was good but one of those books you are supposed to draw your own conclusions from the ending. Not a bad thing but I typically like a little more resolution. I found out there is a sequel but apparently it is co-authored and has horrible reviews so I will stop her. 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:09 PM, Steeldancer said:

Um.... read faster? 

Because part 5 is quite a ride. I really hope you enjoyed part 3, but thats something you can discuss in the part topics 

In my experience, reading faster is the WORST way to handle a book when you're struggling with it.  I'd say set the book aside, and come back when you're in the mood.  

12 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

In my experience, reading faster is the WORST way to handle a book when you're struggling with it.  I'd say set the book aside, and come back when you're in the mood.  

I'll second this.  there are 2 or 3 books I can think of where I couldn't get into it the first time I tried it, but on setting it down and picking it up again a while later, I found myself really enjoying it.

Rereading Matter by Iain M. Banks. Its one of the better Culture novels in my opinion, but it usually seems to fly under the radar when people talk about there favorite culture novels; I think thats because its Special Circumstances heavy and doesn't offer any of the glimpses into the day to day life of The Culture. I am currently about 75 pages in and am really enjoying it; its been several years so I hardly remember any of it. Its both a blessing and a curse to have a bad memory and rereads feel almost like the first time.

Here is how I would rank the culture novels (I know most people are higher on Use of Weapons than I am, but I appreciate the unconventional way of telling the story even if it didn't work for me):

1. Player of Games/Surface Detail

2. Hydrogen Sonata

3. Matter/Look to Windward

4. Excessions

5. Use of Weapons

6. Consider Phlebas

7. Inversions (Only technically a Culture Novel. I was tempted to leave it off the list)

After finishing The Way of Kings (It was great!) and all of Arcanum Unbound (Edgedancer excluded)...

I now startet a reread of Die unendliche Geschichte (The neverending story). It was the book that brought me into reading and has a special place in my heart. (Which means a reread every other year)

Prompted by the movie preview of Annihilation I am reading The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer. I finished the first book and just started the second. I don't even really know how to describe it besides oddly satisfying without feeling like I really know anything about what is going on. It's weird but I like it so far.  

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Finished Oath. Can finally breathe and get back into my other reads. I did not like that book... Now I can finally get on the threads for it but I suspect I won’t have good things to say there.

Bonehunters is a thing of beauty at 260 pgs in!

We may have to commiserate. I believe I like it waaaaay more than you did, but am also not nearly as enamoured as other people are. 

My friend is breezing through them back-to-back. It will be interesting to see what he thinks since he hasn't read any other Sanderson books. 

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

Finished Oath. Can finally breathe and get back into my other reads. I did not like that book... Now I can finally get on the threads for it but I suspect I won’t have good things to say there.

@Briar King: I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the book. I personally have mixed feelings over it and, based on what I have seen, I can't say it has been as well received as WoR. As such, I am collecting other readers thoughts in order to figure out if they all match one with another. You can PM me if you want.

Read the book Tanya the Evil: Deus lo Vult. I loved the anime and was excited to try the book it was based on, but either something was lost in translation or the anime is just a far superior way of telling the story.

I am giving a independent author a chance with The Path of Flames by Phil Tucker (with my brand new Kindle Paperwhite!). It is the first of a completed series and it hasn't blown me away, but its pretty decent so far. He is still introducing new characters so its way to soon to make any conclusions on its quality yet.

4 hours ago, Briar King said:

100 pgs exactly left of Grace. So good. Will be jumping into bk2 right afterward. 

So happy to be free of Oath...

A lot of people think Wall of Storms is better than the first one; for me it was still a very high quality book (and I can see why many people say its better) but Grace of Kings is still my favorite. I do love the ambition of Wall of Storms though.

Hah I am just imagining you as the Ancient Mariner, but instead of a albatross around your neck its a copy of Oathbringer*

*if you have no idea what I am talking about I was referencing Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge

Edited by Ammanas

I finished The Sandman main line of comics. It’s taken me almost a year, but I’ve really enjoyed it and do believe it is a masterpiece of modern storytelling. There were so many disturbing and provoking and delightful stories, and I could never stop reading the series for long. 

I also read Ringworld by Larry Niven, and I wasn’t really a fan. The characters just haven’t aged well, and it makes the story seem more like a macho adventure than a grand sci fun novel. 

I’m working on the collected novellas of Ursula K. Leguin, and I’m adoring it. She’s such a fantastic author, and I wish she had a greater popular fan base.