What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Finished reading Warbreaker earlier today. I loved how much this story was a reversal story. I knew there was something up with the priests but I didn't guess the actual reason for it. I loved seeing all the characters changing by the end of the story (Siri, Vivenna, Susebron, Vasher, Lightsong) and even loved the various Returned. The ending so screams a sequel and with the annotations I hope the sequel comes sooner than later.

Now onto The Knights of Crystallia

7 minutes ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

Is the wheel of time realy worth my time (pardon my pun)? I mean, I've trid to read the Eye of the World, but the pacing felt a bit slow to me.

Does the pace get better?

It is slow at times, but it gets faster-ish. It's a slow series in general, but gets fast at times.

11 minutes ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

Is the wheel of time realy worth my time (pardon my pun)? I mean, I've trid to read the Eye of the World, but the pacing felt a bit slow to me.

Does the pace get better?

it does...and then it gets worse again.  I don't mind it so much, personally, but a lot of people will tell you that the pace slows down to a crawl somewhere around book 7 and deosnt pick back up until Brandon takes over.  book 10 is pretty much universally considered the worst one, in that nothing much of significance happens during the entire thing(though I personally find books 1 and 2 to be the worst).  so take all that however you will.  my personal advice, if you get through book 3 and stll dont want to continue, then it is definitely not for you.

Edited by Dunkum

Finished Knights of Crystallia last night. Would've finished sooner but I went to the signing in Houston and I was driving most of the time. I love the silliness of the series and didn't see the twist villain at the end. It's hard for me to find a character in this series that I don't like since they are all so lovable!

Now I'm onto the big guy, Way of Kings.

Currently re-reading Mistborn but I've recently started reading like crazy again, - I tend to go through a frenzy of reading for a few months then slow down to almost nothing (like maybe a few books a month rather than 20 or 30 (I devour books)).

Recently read; Red Rising Trilogy, Kingkiller Chronicles, Lightbringer series, Spellslinger and several others and have now got to the slow down stage to wait for the final books of series to be released (next year for a few of them).

Have heard of the Gentleman Bastard series but not got round to it yet, might request them for a christmas present from peoples.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

No spoilers here but I’m 600+ pgs in Oath and have been having a day by day increasingly hard time willing myself read it since around the 300 mark.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have found that you really have to approach Stormlight Archives with a certain mindset.

These are not tightly plotted books that quickly move the story along. These books are all about loosing yourself in the world, getting to know characters (and seeing their development), and finding how it all relates to the cosmere.

If I recall correctly you are currently reading Grace of Kings by Liu...these two series couldn't be more different, (in terms of pacing) but I enjoy both for different reasons.

11 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have found that you really have to approach Stormlight Archives with a certain mindset.

These are not tightly plotted books that quickly move the story along. These books are all about loosing yourself in the world, getting to know characters (and seeing their development), and finding how it all relates to the cosmere.

If I recall correctly you are currently reading Grace of Kings by Liu...these two series couldn't be more different, (in terms of pacing) but I enjoy both for different reasons.

Yep I brought that up a few days ago in the Oath thread on Malazan. It’s spoiling me with its fast pace with as little bloat as is possible with short clips.

@Briar King I'm pretty sure the plan is for him (Ken Liu) to release book three in Fall of 2018...I am really excited to see how it turns out. I emailed Ken Liu and he told me it that book three will end with a complete story, but that he has ideas for other stuff to do in that world depending on if his stuff sells well enough that his publisher wants/allows him to write more in that setting.

The closest thing I have found to Grace of Kings way of telling a story is The Legend of the Galactic Heroes by Tanaka. This series is a huge deal in Japan and they have 5 of 10 translated into English with more coming soon. If the title of the series is turn off then don't let it be. This is basically The Prussian Wars in outer space and is a great series so far!

Edited by Ammanas