Chaos

What Are You Reading, Part 2

4,886 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Briar King said:

The map in Grace is now messing with me. The poles are turned and I keep cocking my head to the north.

I thought it was a little odd myself, but I have read it twice and can't remember that oddity taking away any enjoyment. I wouldn't think about it too much. The cardinal directions don't play a major role in the story.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Blackwing by Ed Mcdonald. I was impressed by this opening book and recommend it (especially for Black Company fans). I think everyone one will be hearing more about this book, from various book bloggers, in the near future.

Edited by Ammanas
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished Dan Brown's newest book, Origin, and I must say I was seriuosly disappointed. Not only did this book fall into the same basic formula as all the other Robert Langdon books, it also failed to be as interesting as Brown's other books. Felt just like your average thriller to me.

Edited by Trizee
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Just finished Blackwing by Ed Mcdonald. I was impressed by this opening book and recommend it (especially for Black Company fans). I think everyone one will be hearing more about this book, from various book bloggers, in the near future.

I'll second that. Highly entertaining. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the Wolves of Calla, part of the Dark Tower series.  Really don't like the Rolland character, and his willingness to manipulate his party-mates to achieve his ends.  I get why he does it, but it annoys me how willing they are to just simply shrug and accept the manipulations instead of calling him out on it, and voice objections.

But then, this series started in the 1980's.  So I figure maybe there's a reason I'm not aware of (being technically a millennial and all).

Still, the series grabbed me up to this point.  If this book goes the way of the others, I imagine it'll keep me entertained enough to want to pickup the next novel in the series.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Left Have you finished Psyren yet?

If not, I feel obliged to tell you that it got cancelled and author had to make ending quick and as such the end is not that great. Best to start managing those expectations now.

But, apart from that, it's a great series.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mattig89ch said:

Reading the Wolves of Calla, part of the Dark Tower series.  Really don't like the Rolland character, and his willingness to manipulate his party-mates to achieve his ends.  I get why he does it, but it annoys me how willing they are to just simply shrug and accept the manipulations instead of calling him out on it, and voice objections.

But then, this series started in the 1980's.  So I figure maybe there's a reason I'm not aware of (being technically a millennial and all).

Still, the series grabbed me up to this point.  If this book goes the way of the others, I imagine it'll keep me entertained enough to want to pickup the next novel in the series.

They may not know they are being manipulated? Cause if you know, then is it really manipulation? I seem to recall it being from Rolland's pov as well. Been a loooong time though

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reading The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.  Finally on the last (published) of the Culture books.  Been very excited for this one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AngelEy3 said:

They may not know they are being manipulated? Cause if you know, then is it really manipulation? I seem to recall it being from Rolland's pov as well. Been a loooong time though

 

They know, at least in part.  When they ask a question, and he responds with silence.  Or he lies to them, and they find out later that he lied to them.

This all happens a fair bit in the story.  And the characters just seem to shrug and go along with it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

Reading the Wolves of Calla, part of the Dark Tower series.  Really don't like the Rolland character, and his willingness to manipulate his party-mates to achieve his ends.  I get why he does it, but it annoys me how willing they are to just simply shrug and accept the manipulations instead of calling him out on it, and voice objections.

But then, this series started in the 1980's.  So I figure maybe there's a reason I'm not aware of (being technically a millennial and all).

Still, the series grabbed me up to this point.  If this book goes the way of the others, I imagine it'll keep me entertained enough to want to pickup the next novel in the series.

Have noticed the change in Kings style in bk 5? This was after he was hit by car.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Have noticed the change in Kings style in bk 5? This was after he was hit by car.

A little, yea.  But not a great deal yet.  He's still answering with a silent stare, still lying to his companions and the civies he's trying to protect.

Honestly, he keeps saying the entire party might not make it.  I'm kinda hoping Roland doesn't.  I like the other people in the party, but Roland bothers me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

I am reading The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.  Finally on the last (published) of the Culture books.  Been very excited for this one.

A lot of fans look over this one, but I feel its one of his strongest Culture books. Enjoy! My three favorites are Surface Detail, Player of Games and Hydrogen Sonata.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Only 30 pgs in Grace but man that is fun. 

Glad you like it! Whenever I hear complaints about it I always want to ask, "Are you sure you are reading Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. Because that book is awesome!"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

A lot of fans look over this one, but I feel its one of his strongest Culture books. Enjoy! My three favorites are Surface Detail, Player of Games and Hydrogen Sonata.

My favs so far are Look To Windward and Excession.  I'm lead to believe that The Hydrogen Sonata is gonna be one of the ones that I especially like (though I adore them all (except for Inversions) of course).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AliasSheep After you finish Hydrogen Sonata you might want to give Against a Dark Background a try. I believe its is strongest non culture book.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ammanas said:

@AliasSheep After you finish Hydrogen Sonata you might want to give Against a Dark Background a try. I believe its is strongest non culture book.

I'm planning on reading them all, so I will get round to that one!  The next M. Banks book I plan on reading though is Feersum Endjinn because I picked it up dead cheap at a second hand bookshop, so I actually have it to hand to start reading.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Overstorm said:

@Left Have you finished Psyren yet?

If not, I feel obliged to tell you that it got cancelled and author had to make ending quick and as such the end is not that great. Best to start managing those expectations now.

But, apart from that, it's a great series.

So I moved out to college and my university library doesn’t have it and neither does the app I usually use. That sucks it got cancelled! Now I don’t feel too bad about not being able to read it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Left said:

So I moved out to college and my university library doesn’t have it and neither does the app I usually use. That sucks it got cancelled! Now I don’t feel too bad about not being able to read it. 

Granted, it was already in the final stages of plot when it got cancelled but the end is rushed nontheless.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Glad you like it! Whenever I hear complaints about it I always want to ask, "Are you sure you are reading Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. Because that book is awesome!"

I'm a tad confused on the actual ethnicity of these people though. I was assuming Oriental based on author, character names, topknots, and various other Asian themes. but I have seen a green eyed man, pale white skin & red haired woman mentioned so I have no clue yet what mental image to fully form.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I'm a tad confused on the actual ethnicity of these people though. I was assuming Oriental based on author, character names, topknots, and various other Asian themes. but I have seen a green eyed man, pale white skin & red haired woman mentioned so I have no clue yet what mental image to fully form.

Its my understanding they are a kind of mixture of Asian and Pacific Islanders. But the pictures I form in my minds eye are always really vague so I never really have a clear picture for any books characters.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just finished reading Patrick Carr's Trilogy that starts with Cast of Stones. Pretty Good. Reminds me somewhat of Sanderson...none of the swearing etc. and is still able to tell a good story. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out the Library actually pays some attention to the suggestion box, at least for the e-book service they use.  they had the first 2 ryria books, but not the third, so I suggested it there, then moved on to start Lightbringer.  before I had managed to finish the first book of that, they had apparently added the book to their subscription,  so now pausing from lightbringer to finish Ryria.  I don't generally like doing it that way, but it worked out ok.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dunkum Where are you at with Lightbringer? I am currently over halfway through with The Broken Eye.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Dunkum Where are you at with Lightbringer? I am currently over halfway through with The Broken Eye.

finished the Black Prism, wanted to finish off Ryria (at least the first trilogy, there are 2, as I recall) before I move on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.