What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

2 hours ago, DSC01 said:

More the latter, I suppose. I was well into the fourth book of a series, and I still didn't really care very much about any of the characters (in fact, I stopped caring about characters that I had started to become invested in because the story didn't really go anywhere interesting). There were a couple of mysteries built up and everything, but I just didn't care to find out what the answers were. The series also goes all grimdark in ways that just didn't seem to work, for me. And I've read R. Scott Bakker, so it wasn't the mere presence of grimdark elements that bothered me. Maybe that's the problem: if you're going to do grimdark, you'd better do it in a reasonably good book. If it's just okay, then it hardly seems worth it to wade through a bunch of doom and gloom and senseless, graphic violence. There's no real payoff, and personally, I am not interested in reading about gore and murder for its own sake.

I think I have a higher opinion on Seven Forges than you, but even I admit this series is a bit like cotton candy; its tastes alright, but isn't necessarily very filling. Thanks for the detailed response!

Just finished HOA. I liked the book quite a bit, even the ending. I skimmed through the Arcanum since there wasn't much new entries and I didn't need book summaries of the first two.

My overall thoughts will be in spoiler tag just in case a newcomer reads this

Spoiler

I loved the epigraphs for all three books but this one did feel a bit info dumpy towards the end. One example is the chapter where Elend sees the Sliver of Preservation and the epigraph for the following chapter outright states that Preservation died right there. I literally said out loud "Are you kidding me?!" when I read that one.

It was awesome seeing the ballroom scenes again.

The scenes with Ruin himself were pretty interesting and fun to read.

The meetings with Yomen were interesting and had some awesome moments to them like the one where Vin is being 'interrogated' by him and he's all "I'm more than happy to trade you for the grain. Why don't you?" and Vin just says "You won't even talk to us!"

I immediately picked up the whole French Revolution vibe from The Citizen.

The deaths of Vin and Elend were sad but I loved how they are left lying in a field of flowers after Sazed tried to bring them back.

Now I'm going on a small break from my Sanderson-a-thon to read Five Nights at Freddy's The Silver Eyes in celebration of October.

well, finished the first 2 Ryria books, only to find that the library doesn't have the third.  or rather, the only version they do have is audiobook, but I don't have the patience for audiobooks.  this is exceedingly frustrating.  I'd like to finish the trilogy before I move on to something else

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

well, finished the first 2 Ryria books, only to find that the library doesn't have the third.  or rather, the only version they do have is audiobook, but I don't have the patience for audiobooks.  this is exceedingly frustrating.  I'd like to finish the trilogy before I move on to something else

I don't like audiobooks myself, I end up zoning out after a few minutes. Have you thought of going to the store and seeing if there's a copy to buy?

26 minutes ago, Draginon said:

I don't like audiobooks myself, I end up zoning out after a few minutes. Have you thought of going to the store and seeing if there's a copy to buy?

thought about it, but I don't really want to.  Probably will if I can't find it some other way.

There are a few books out there that are my "white whales" to use a Moby Dick reference. This time I will try to finish the Red Knight by Miles Cameron; it seems like it would be a good book but for some reason I can never finish it. My copy arrived at the library so I will probably start in this Saturday. On Tuesday the U.S. release of Blackwing by Ed Mcdonald comes out and I am pumped to start it.

Edited by Ammanas

Blackwing hype! 

3 hours ago, Ammanas said:

There are a few books out there that are my "white whales" to use a Moby Dick reference. This time I will try to finish the Red Knight by Miles Cameron; it seems like it would be a good book but for some reason I can never finish it. My copy arrived at the library so I will probably start in this Saturday. On Tuesday the U.S. release of Blackwing by Ed Mcdonald comes out and I am pumped to start it.

19 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Anyone read The Grace of Kings?

I have read it and loved it! It's a different sort of story focusing on plot rather than character development and is told like a chinese epic (many western readers didn't get it). The story switches from micro to macro point of view which is very cool. Its also a standalone first installment in a trilogy which I appreciate. I am a huge fan!

Ok I may look into it if I hear a bit more of that. I heard the opposite on Malazan but the Asian stuff peaked my interest when I was in store. I really liked the map in it to.

finished Dresden 2 and started 3. There was 13 F bombs which I find fascinating as 13 is quite a big deal in Harry’s world. I will count bk 3 as well.

41 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I really liked the map in it to.

I am really impressed with the physical quality of the books from SAGA press. The binding seems better than many other publishers (the books seem more sturdy) and that map is beautiful. You will be consulting the map a lot because he zooms around all over it. 

13 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I am really impressed with the physical quality of the books from SAGA press. The binding seems better than many other publishers (the books seem more sturdy) and that map is beautiful. You will be consulting the map a lot because he zooms around all over it. 

One of the only books I can think of where the entire map is used in the first book.  Really, the first book is like a whole series worth of events.  Some people hate the "cliff notes" style of story telling, but I loved it.

2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

One of the only books I can think of where the entire map is used in the first book.  Really, the first book is like a whole series worth of events.  Some people hate the "cliff notes" style of story telling, but I loved it.

I agree. If you like that way of telling the story you would probably like Glen Cook (most famous for The Black Company series). Also did you know that the second book in the planned trilogy is out? Its called Wall of Storms. I know many people who liked the sequel better (and I can see why) but I still prefer the first.

Edited by Ammanas

Yep, I just haven't gotten to Wall of Storms yet.  I figure the third book doesn't have a release date yet, so I want to put off WoS a bit so the wait for book 3 isn't so long.

I enjoy the Black Company so far (4 books in plus spin-off).  I see what you mean about the storytelling comparisons.  A lot of people can not get into TBC either.

2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

A lot of people can not get into TBC either.

Their loss *shrugs*

Also I think the third one is expected in the fall of 2018; that isn't solid though. I think the people who don't like this method of storytelling are the same ones who love Robert Jordan explaining every article of clothes, every thought that enters into a characters head, and it taking several books for people to walk to their city of destination (personally it drove me crazy, but to each their own). Personally I like it when a author moves the plot forward by summarizing some events. 

7 hours ago, Sunchicken said:

Have any of you ever read a novel where the story is told in third-person present tense? Today I started reading a Kindle freebie that does that, and it feels utterly bizarre.

City of Stairs (and I assume the whole trilogy).

I've read a handful of first-person present (Hunger Games, Red Rising, parts of Acts of Caine) and it took some getting used to in HG.  I found when it was used sparingly, like in Acts of Caine, it really elevates those sections of the book and makes it more intense.  I don't think present tense makes a lot of sense in City of Stairs, but I'm still enjoying the book for other reasons.

Edited by Who Sharded?

5 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

City of Stairs (and I assume the whole trilogy).

I am a big fan of the first two books of the series, but thought the third was a big disappointment. It seems like my view is the minority though because a lot of people really like how it ended though.

Edited by Ammanas

54 minutes ago, Briar King said:

The map in Grace is now messing with me. The poles are turned and I keep cocking my head to the north.

I thought it was a little odd myself, but I have read it twice and can't remember that oddity taking away any enjoyment. I wouldn't think about it too much. The cardinal directions don't play a major role in the story.

Just finished Blackwing by Ed Mcdonald. I was impressed by this opening book and recommend it (especially for Black Company fans). I think everyone one will be hearing more about this book, from various book bloggers, in the near future.

Edited by Ammanas