What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

9 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Witness! I've grown to enjoy Karsa

Told you so and you still have much yet to enjoy of him! I can't wait to start hearing your thoughts when you get to 5. 

On DT bk 1 is short and sweet but it's the worst of the bunch. Bk 4 is one of my top 5 favorite books I've ever read in my life. It's beautiful.

1 hour ago, AngelEy3 said:

My 14 year old self remembers a beach,  and giant crabs, and a magic door, and Roland being cool, and being pretty sure that the Man in Black mostly fit the mold for Hoid... And that's about it. I should go through it again before the movie. 

That's Book 2, The Drawing of the Three! 

2 hours ago, Curious Anamaximder said:

Okay please do so

I'm not some sort of depository of book summaries and analysis, here to amuse you! 

tumblr_inline_mzh2paKrqC1rjm3a5.png

Edited by Orlion On a Cob

5 hours ago, Briar King said:

How did you like it?

I ended up liking it overall. I forgave pretty much every minor issue I had when Karsa started doing what he's good at. I didn't enjoy it as much as MoI or DG, but it felt like a good end to that part of the story. Once again I walk away with many more questions than before, but I like to keep guessing, and I like that I end up being wrong more than 2/3 the time. Either going to start Kyngs of the Wyld or #5 tonight. 

Edit: This series needs an award for being the hardest rust ever to try to describe to someone. 

Edited by AngelEy3

45 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

I ended up liking it overall. I forgave pretty much every minor issue I had when Karsa started doing what he's good at. I didn't enjoy it as much as MoI or DG, but it felt like a good end to that part of the story. Once again I walk away with many more questions than before, but I like to keep guessing, and I like that I end up being wrong more than 2/3 the time. Either going to start Kyngs of the Wyld or #5 tonight. 

Edit: This series needs an award for being the hardest rust ever to try to describe to someone. 

I know nothing of Wyld so being selfish I root for bk 5. It would be understanding if you took a break but bk 5 is just so good and has so many connections to bk 2,3,4.

also now you know that a bit of that prophecy in bk 2 about blood was foreshadowing bk 4.

Edited by Briar King

4 hours ago, Briar King said:

I know nothing of Wyld so being selfish I root for bk 5. It would be understanding if you took a break but bk 5 is just so good and has so many connections to bk 2,3,4.

also now you know that a bit of that prophecy in bk 2 about blood was foreshadowing bk 4.

I've decided to go with Midnight Tides. I had about a 12 day break 3/4 of the way through House of Chains, and the ending definitely reinvigorated my interest. I want more Anomander Rake, because what's not to love about an immortal shapeshifter with a soul chaining sword, but it appears that this book is going to tell Trull Sengar's story of the Edur. Which may or may not contain Rake, but I doubt his presence since he isn't listed in the Dramatis Personae. 

Your going to be in for a treat. Glad your heading right into it fresh so you retain info easier. Trull is an amazing character and Lether is an interesting place. You should have many oh snap moments as this goes and as I said before your going to be introduced to some fan favorite characters in this one.

13 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Your going to be in for a treat. Glad your heading right into it fresh so you retain info easier. Trull is an amazing character and Lether is an interesting place. You should have many oh snap moments as this goes and as I said before your going to be introduced to some fan favorite characters in this one.

Pleasantly surprised. 

Spoiler

Not even through the Prologue and already got a mention of Rake. 

18 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Pleasantly surprised. 

Reveal hidden contents

Not even through the Prologue and already got a mention of Rake. 

If this is the part I'm thinking it is you are introduced to another really rusting cool character(though this one may have been mentioned in bk 4).

5 hours ago, Briar King said:

If this is the part I'm thinking it is you are introduced to another really rusting cool character(though this one may have been mentioned in bk 4).

So far the characters of note (as far as I can tell) I've met are the Beddict brothers and the brothers Sengar. 

Edit: I forgot to mention Udinaas 

Edited by AngelEy3

Midnight Tides is going really very well so far. It's been a bit more engaging for me than the first half of House of Chains was. Really enjoying learning about the Edur. 

Spoiler

I knew that Rhulad would be bad news... I thought I remembered him being in charge when Trull was shorn in the Prologue of House of Chains. 

I can't believe I'm only at the halfway point of this series. So much has happened already. I can definitely see how a 2nd look would be superior to the first time through. 

9 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Midnight Tides is going really very well so far. It's been a bit more engaging for me than the first half of House of Chains was. Really enjoying learning about the Edur. 

Hide contents

I knew that Rhulad would be bad news... I thought I remembered him being in charge when Trull was shorn in the Prologue of House of Chains. 

I can't believe I'm only at the halfway point of this series. So much has happened already. I can definitely see how a 2nd look would be superior to the first time through. 

Yep I enjoyed the prolong to 4 knowing what happens then. You still have yet to know everything but you may want to go back and reread the shorn after 5.

Also note if you are going to do the ICE bks read Night of Knives before starting Bone Hunters(6).

16 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Yep I enjoyed the prolong to 4 knowing what happens then. You still have yet to know everything but you may want to go back and reread the shorn after 5.

Also note if you are going to do the ICE bks read Night of Knives before starting Bone Hunters(6).

I'm a little up in the air on the ICE books. I should probably just do it right though, huh? Might be a little resource thinning atm, but it'll probably be worth it. My local library has a pitifully small fantasy section unless you want to read every star wars book or run through LOTR for the 50th time. 

I would do it. There are some missing story elements going from 7 to 8 that are covered in ICE and hey it's more Malazan just not as on the lvl that SE writes though I heard he gets better as he goes, I only read NoK but it's very small. The others aren't. 

Fun fact before MT hit stores and all we had was the cover blurp fans were getting up in arms at another new setting(I may have been one of them)and not going back to the 1-3 characters but that went away so fast after it hit it was kinda amusing. MT was awesome!

Yesterday I finished Revelation and Authority, a book on Jewish theology and scriptural study. And today I finished Nothing Left to Lose, the last John Cleaver book. It was good, and yet somehow unsattisfying. It was....too happy? Like, Dan Wells was in just too good of a state of mind to really get into writing another John Cleaver book. That and most of the mysteries in the series were mostly wrapped up in the last book. 

Next up I need to read some more Sandman.