What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Oh more questions. Was Cislla still the Chiss homeworld? Was it located in the Unknown Regions still? Are the Chiss still described as the descendants of a colony of lost humans the minerals of the planet slowly changed their eyes and skin color?

i love Chiss. They were by far my fav EU species created. I wish that we could have gotten a Chiss Jedi or Sith in the books!

41 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Oh more questions. Was Cislla still the Chiss homeworld? Was it located in the Unknown Regions still? Are the Chiss still described as the descendants of a colony of lost humans the minerals of the planet slowly changed their eyes and skin color?

i love Chiss. They were by far my fav EU species created. I wish that we could have gotten a Chiss Jedi or Sith in the books!

I've read pretty much the entire old canon, and I don't remember those details. Yes, the Chiss are still from the Unknown Regions, though the name of the home world hasn't been mentioned yet.

I am curious to see how the Outbound Flight is going to be handled, and specifically because Thrawn mentions meeting "General Skywalker", although considering the amount of knowledge he seems to have gathered even before giving them that tidbit, Anakin might not have been a General at the time of their meeting still.

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I've read pretty much the entire old canon, and I don't remember those details. Yes, the Chiss are still from the Unknown Regions, though the name of the home world hasn't been mentioned yet.

I am curious to see how the Outbound Flight is going to be handled, and specifically because Thrawn mentions meeting "General Skywalker", although considering the amount of knowledge he seems to have gathered even before giving them that tidbit, Anakin might not have been a General at the time of their meeting still.

I took special interest in the Chiss for sure. That being said I couldn't for sure say exactly when the stuff like the mineral info came out cause that was a lot of books and events just kind of jumble together now days but I'm wanting to say it was revealed sometimes in NJO during Jacen and Danni Qui's visit to the Fel's on Cislla.

they were definitely a lost colony ship of humans that were changed over thousands of years till we were introduced to them.

think about how terrifying it would seem to someone if a Chiss with glowing red eyes with light saber was coming towards them. Jedi or Sith... there was a female dark sider under Dooku I think in a comic but not very well known or fleshed out.

Just started reading Legend of the Galactic Heroes vol 1: Dawn. These are the actual novels that are evidently a long time coming for a english translation. It's a lot of fun so far; its kind of like the Prussian military wars in space with more of a emphasis on politics and strategy rather the bloodshed.

I'm about halfway through Words of Radiance and I'm loving it so far! It's soooooo good. I love the way Shallan's character has changed so drastically, but it feels right at the same time. I'm still confused about how Surgebinding and the orders work, but there's always the Ars Arcanum.

Here are updated on reading Lightbringer. No spoilers down below :)

So huh, I do not know how to say it, but currently my favorite character is Gavin Guile.... :ph34r: and I somehow gathered I am not supposed to like his character (but I do, he is by far the most interesting character within the lot) I feel he is tethering over the edge of a sharp cliff with sharks surrounding him: sooner or later, he will plunge, his secret will blow and I can't wait for it to happen :ph34r: I am partial about Kip: his mouthiness doesn't match the rest of his character. It is odd to read. I also do not get how the kid of a drugged addict mother who failed to feed him could get fat... This isn't well explained. Other characters are fine, but Karris's viewpoints tend to be very technical which is a bit much for my personal tastes, so they aren't my favorite. 

Still, good story, a bit technical and after the first few action-packed chapters, slightly slow paced. Gavin though, Gavin is worth the whole thing. I just want to read what he'll do next.

Karris will most definitely ground out over time. She is hardest to care about at 1st. Liv also. Patience. I doubt you ll feel this way in a bit. Though a lot of that with Karris is because of her color.

not going to say much more but if think Kip the Lip has a run away mouth in bk 1...just wait. You ought to get many giggles down the road.

Edited by Briar King

14 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Gavin is one of my favorite characters in all of fantasy @maxal so I'm glad you like him. I always love the arrogant, quick-to-smile heroes, he's a less cynical Kelsier.

Oh great, so I am not the only one who likes him :) I've read some commentaries and it appears many didn't like his POV, but I find it to be the most interesting and engaging. I love the arrogance which is used to hide something... I guess everyone can figured that out based on the characters I typically end up liking.

8 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Karris will most definitely ground out over time. She is hardest to care about at 1st. Liv also. Patience. I doubt you ll feel this way in a bit. Though a lot of that with Karris is because of her color.

not going to say much more but if think Kip the Lip has a run away mouth in bk 1...just wait. You ought to get many giggles down the road.

It isn't Karris which I mind, just how her viewpoint is thick with technical details on drafting and well... I prefer when technical descriptions are more sparse. I actually like Liv, I forgot to mention her, but she might be my second favorite viewpoint.

Kip... Ah... The mouth doesn't match the rest of the character nor his background.

47 minutes ago, maxal said:

Oh great, so I am not the only one who likes him :) I've read some commentaries and it appears many didn't like his POV, but I find it to be the most interesting and engaging. I love the arrogance which is used to hide something... I guess everyone can figured that out based on the characters I typically end up liking.

It isn't Karris which I mind, just how her viewpoint is thick with technical details on drafting and well... I prefer when technical descriptions are more sparse. I actually like Liv, I forgot to mention her, but she might be my second favorite viewpoint.

Kip... Ah... The mouth doesn't match the rest of the character nor his background.

Stay away from those. Someone may give stuff away ahead of its proper time which would for this particular series would verge close to a criminal act Imo. It will payoff being as clueless as possible.

Gavin is probably my favorite character in Lightbringer as well.

I have some issues with the series, but the worldbuilding in the last couple of books has been very different and excellent.  I look forward to the conclusion, even though I worry that Weeks is falling into a similar trap as GRRM, Jordan, and Rothfuss where his books become bloated.

3 hours ago, Briar King said:

Do we have any members fluent in Polish? If so and they have read the original Witcher books how is the translation for these books that are recently coming out States side? I'm really curious to read these now I'm playing W2.

@Mestiv and @Oversleep are both Polish.

6 hours ago, Briar King said:

Do we have any members fluent in Polish? If so and they have read the original Witcher books how is the translation for these books that are recently coming out States side? I'm really curious to read these now I'm playing W2.

Can you give us a sample chapter maybe? 

On 5/29/2017 at 9:41 PM, maxal said:

Here are updated on reading Lightbringer. No spoilers down below :)

So huh, I do not know how to say it, but currently my favorite character is Gavin Guile.... :ph34r: and I somehow gathered I am not supposed to like his character (but I do, he is by far the most interesting character within the lot) I feel he is tethering over the edge of a sharp cliff with sharks surrounding him: sooner or later, he will plunge, his secret will blow and I can't wait for it to happen :ph34r: I am partial about Kip: his mouthiness doesn't match the rest of his character. It is odd to read. I also do not get how the kid of a drugged addict mother who failed to feed him could get fat... This isn't well explained. Other characters are fine, but Karris's viewpoints tend to be very technical which is a bit much for my personal tastes, so they aren't my favorite. 

Still, good story, a bit technical and after the first few action-packed chapters, slightly slow paced. Gavin though, Gavin is worth the whole thing. I just want to read what he'll do next.

Gavin is the man. That is all. 

I loved the first Legend of the Galactic Heroes book so much that I started the second in the series "Ambition". The second one is continuing the high quality of the first this far and its nice to just jump into the story (as compared to the first where there was about 20 pgs of "how we got here" to go through).

I have to precise when I say I love Gavin Guile, I mean...

Spoiler

The man who names himself Gavin but really is Dazen, not the crazy guy in prison which gives me the creeps :ph34r:

Kip is really a weird character: he doesn't sound realistic to me. Each time he speaks, I cringe as I feel it breaks the immersion. Am I the only one with this issue?

2 hours ago, maxal said:

I have to precise when I say I love Gavin Guile, I mean...

Reveal hidden contents

The man who names himself Gavin but really is Dazen, not the crazy guy in prison which gives me the creeps :ph34r:

Kip is really a weird character: he doesn't sound realistic to me. Each time he speaks, I cringe as I feel it breaks the immersion. Am I the only one with this issue?

Kip is actually my favorite character. Mostly because he reminds me of myself at around 15. Saying smart chull rust to everyone because he thinks he's clever, and he is clever, but not clever enough to know that's it's more clever to just shut the hell up. That's my life in a nutshell up to about 24 years. 

Almost to the halfway point of House of Chains. It took a lot longer to get into than Memories of Ice. I think it got a lot easier/more familiar once I got caught back up to the relative present. 

Spoiler

This shattered Shadow Realm stuff is getting pretty confusing. As is the time line of the Emperor and Dancer ascending. I'm sure I'll get more answers there as I rafo. Not looking for any from anyone, just commenting on my struggles. 

Edited by AngelEy3