What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

12 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Should hopefully finish Memories of Ice tonight. This has been much slower reading than I'm used to. It's a combination of making sure I got everything, and 'rewinding' to watch super cool parts over again. 

I'm only just shy of 200. Been playing a lot of 360 and having the kids this 1st week of summer. I know we keep saying it but yeah there is a lot of back flipping but the true reward is seeing tiny little things thrown in throughout that you won't even pick up on in bk 1 and on till a reread down the line. There are few if any reads as great as Malazan on your 1st go but that so far has been even better. Def worth considering for you to do a few yrs down the road I promise.

3 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I'm only just shy of 200. Been playing a lot of 360 and having the kids this 1st week of summer. I know we keep saying it but yeah there is a lot of back flipping but the true reward is seeing tiny little things thrown in throughout that you won't even pick up on in bk 1 and on till a reread down the line. There are few if any reads as great as Malazan on your 1st go but that so far has been even better. Def worth considering for you to do a few yrs down the road I promise.

I believe that for sure. I've been buying everything I read in an effort to create a small personal library. So far for my efforts I have stacks of books and no shelving, lol. 

Just got off my own run of 360 gaming with the Mass Effect trilogy. Haven't enjoyed a game series that much in a long time. Played 1-3 back to back the last couple months. 

Well after a lot of delays I finally finished Elantris... wow just wow I can't belie it took me years to finally get around to crossing off the final cosmere novel from my list. and dam what a novel it's slow to start but I should have known that like seemingly all Sanderson novels (except Stormlight which doesn't wait) it gets awesome at the end. well I guess I can go read the novellas at the start of Arcanum Unbounded now.

13 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Well after a lot of delays I finally finished Elantris... wow just wow I can't belie it took me years to finally get around to crossing off the final cosmere novel from my list. and dam what a novel it's slow to start but I should have known that like seemingly all Sanderson novels (except Stormlight which doesn't wait) it gets awesome at the end. well I guess I can go read the novellas at the start of Arcanum Unbounded now.

Yay! Unlike you, Elantris was one of the first books (after the first Mistborn trilogy) that I read from the Cosmere. Now I'm to the point where I only need to read Words of Radiance. Then Edgedancer. Then I will finally be done with every published Cosmere book as of now.

Finished Memories of Ice a few minutes ago. Another tear jerker towards the end. More so than Deadhouse Gates imo. 

Spoiler

Whiskyjack... Wow. 

Itkovian's Gift... Wow. 

The Mhybe... Wow. 

Toc and Tool at the end... Wow. 

Duiker is back... Wow. 

"Very well, permit me, if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come Fist to the 7th Army... "

On to House of Chains! 

14 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Many fans consider MoI the best of the 10.

did you catch that

Reveal hidden contents

Baudin was in MoI

?

I did! I think at least. 

Wasn't he... 

Spoiler

The Knight of House Death

After 3 books, I feel like Gardens was the weakest so far. But I also get the feeling that if I were to re-read Gardens right now, I might change that opinion. 

Spoiler

It was last night, but I'm still reeling from the death of Whiskeyjack... Why couldn't he have let Mallet heal his leg? Makes me rethink a lot of the stuff I've been putting off in my own life. 

Super glad that Rake is still alive. I was worried there for a while, what with the comments about him possibly not still being in possession of Dragnipur. 

Also, the significance of the dead Tiste Andii that had been killed under pressure from opening a Warren underwater eludes me... Was it just foreshadowing that Moon's Spawn was under the sea? Or is something else going on there? 

@AngelEy3

Just in case i will put a spoiler tag

Spoiler

If I remember the scene of the dead Andii that washed up on shore correctly they said it looked like a Tiste Andii, but different. It was actually a Tiste Edur and you will find all about them and how that particular one arrived there in book 5 Midnight Tides.

Edited by Ammanas

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

@AngelEy3

Just in case i will put a spoiler tag

Hide contents

If I remember the scene of the dead Andii that washed up on shore correctly they said it looked like a Tiste Andii, but different. It was actually a Tiste Edur and you will find all about them and how that particular one arrived there in book 5 Midnight Tides.

That's right. I forgot that distinction had been made. 

Around 100 pages into House of Chains. 

Spoiler

Karsa is an A-hole.... But I'm starting to enjoy his presence. 

7 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Hide contents

Karsa is an A-hole.... But I'm starting to enjoy his presence. 

Karsa grows in you as the series progresses. By the end of the series you will probably love him. He is horrible at first though. I think I ended up liking him by book 6.

Edited by Ammanas

7 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Karsa grows in you as the series progresses. By the end of the series you will probably love him. He is horrible at first though. I think I ended up liking him by book 6.

for me i was about 3/4 of the way through his section in whichever is the first book he shows up in.  he was awful to start, but by the end, he was one of my favorites.

Edited by Dunkum

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Karsa is a complete boss! I wonder if you realize something about him yet but I'm not sure exactly when this info is revealed in bk 4 so I won't say what it is.

Its probably best to just let the reader WITNESS! :lol:

I finished Sins of Empire yesterday! Dang, Brian McClellan has gotten even better. The worldbuilding is strong with this one. The magic played second fiddle to characters in this latest book, and honestly that's probably a good thing for the series.  The multiple factions and characters were juggled better than I've seen in most books...maybe better than Brandon can do. It was really quite a delight to read. 

Currently I'm working on Thrawn, and it's been pretty good so far. Sandman is coming along too. 

6 minutes ago, Left said:

I finished Sins of Empire yesterday! Dang, Brian McClellan has gotten even better. The worldbuilding is strong with this one. The magic played second fiddle to characters in this latest book, and honestly that's probably a good thing for the series.  The multiple factions and characters were juggled better than I've seen in most books...maybe better than Brandon can do. It was really quite a delight to read. 

Currently I'm working on Thrawn, and it's been pretty good so far. Sandman is coming along too. 

Oooh I want to read thrawn I heard it was fantastic. Can't get my hands on it at the moment though 

51 minutes ago, Left said:

I REALLY liked Sins of Empire as well. I'm excited about this series I think it will be better than Powder Mage. 

So, I'm about 200-ish pages into Words of Radiance right now. Loving it so far. I'm gonna have plenty of time to read it tomorrow, as I'm driving down to Austin from the general Dallas area, which is about 3 and a half hours, probably more with traffic.

I finished Thrawn. It was good, maybe not as good as I'd hoped. Pryce really bored me, and while she could be important in later books, she contributed very little to the main plot. I think having PoV's from other members of the imperial navy, the Emperor, Vader, or a few of the insurgents like Nightswan would have been much more interesting. 
There was so pretty good worldbuilding, and it seems as though the cannon on Thrawn has changed. It isn't really a spoiler, but apparently in the Disney EU, Thrawn wasn't actually exiled from the Chiss. He was sent out to investigate and gather intel on the empire to see if the empire could be a worthwhile ally or if it was dangerous. It sounds like they also changed it so that when he met Anakin in Outbound Flight, Anakin was fullgrown and a general, instead of a still learning padawan. 
I'm not fond of the second change, but there's some interesting potential in the first, so I'm hoping for some more Thrawn books in the future. Hopefully around the episode 6/7 time so we can see him reacting to the end of the empire and the establishment of the first order. 

19 minutes ago, Briar King said:

So Outbound Flight and Jorus Caboth are still included?

It wasn't very specific, and there definitely is a change in canon. Basically it references two or three times that Thrawn had previously met General Skywalker during the build up to the clone wars, and that Thrawn returned to the Chiss after meeting him before eventually returning and joining the Empire. So since they crossed paths in Outbound Flight, that at least seems to be the same. But if Anakin was a general, then Obi-wan and Jorus Caboth wouldn't neccesarily have had to be involved. I'm starting to figure out why people freaked out so badly that the EU was scrapped. I thought the interactions between Anakin and Jorus Caboth were better than all of his character building in the prequel trilogy put together. So if that didn't happen....It'd make me kinda frustrated.