What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Just finished the Black Prism. Wow kinda kicking myself for not reading their series sooner. I had read The Way of Shadows several months ago and just couldn't get in to it so I put Lightbringer on the back burner. The author has really refined his writing. Starting The Blinding Knife right away.

24 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Just finished the Black Prism. Wow kinda kicking myself for not reading their series sooner. I had read The Way of Shadows several months ago and just couldn't get in to it so I put Lightbringer on the back burner. The author has really refined his writing. Starting The Blinding Knife right away.

Yes it is a great series and FYI it bk 1 is prob the least awesome of them even though it's still awesome. Your in for a treat.

Currently reading:

The Thousandfold Thought by R Scott Bakker - 84 pages in - his usual excellent quality so far

The Ships of Merior by Janny Wurts - too early to comment

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - too early to comment

Rereading House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds - about 250 pages in - I forgot how epic and elegant Reynolds can be

Also what are your top reads for 2016?

Here are my top ten:

1. Dancer's Lament by Ian Cameron Esslemont

2. Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

3. Fifth Season by NK Jemisin

4. Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin

5. City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett

6. The Warriot Prophet by R Scott Bakker

7. Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone

8. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

9. Black Wolves by Kate Elliott

10. The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan

8 minutes ago, Andarist said:

Currently reading:

The Thousandfold Thought by R Scott Bakker - 84 pages in - his usual excellent quality so far

The Ships of Merior by Janny Wurts - too early to comment

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - too early to comment

Rereading House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds - about 250 pages in - I forgot how epic and elegant Reynolds can be

Also what are your top reads for 2016?

Here are my top ten:

1. Dancer's Lament by Ian Cameron Esslemont

2. Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

3. Fifth Season by NK Jemisin

4. Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin

5. City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett

6. The Warriot Prophet by R Scott Bakker

7. Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone

8. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

9. Black Wolves by Kate Elliott

10. The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan

You know me...I doubt I even managed 10 bks in 2016!

I'm reading this amusingly ridiculous novel called "Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge."

Bartenders are monster hunters.  No joke.  And they give themselves superpowers by mixing up magical cocktails.  There's magic booze, guys.

21 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

And they give themselves superpowers by mixing up magical cocktails.

... I stopped working on alcohol-based magic like a year ago... Heh, I thought I was original :lol:
(then I moved to a food based one (like dairies let you freely control your bones and tehir growth and they're super durable and you can turn into freakish monsters) but it got nowhere)

Just finished reading a really interesting book (nonfiction) called Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg. She's a scientist whose research on the intelligence of her African Grey parrot, Alex, pretty much broke behavioral scientists' brains because Alex proved so much smarter than most people thought it was possible for any non-primate animal to be.

8 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Haven't picked it up yet, but a little disappointed that the new Tad Williams book is only a Novella. :mellow: I was hoping for a new saga set in Osten Ard. I'll still read it though, love the guy.

I looked at it today. I'm not paying $22 for 200pg HC. I dug the new map in it though!

so I'm reading Arcanum. Everyone of these stories are new to me so I'm excited. On Emp Soul now. Love the system summary. Keeping myself in check from just reading all of those 1st! So Silverlight huh? Interesting! Very excited to read this bk.

30 minutes ago, Briar King said:

so I'm reading Arcanum. Everyone of these stories are new to me so I'm excited. On Emp Soul now. Love the system summary. Keeping myself in check from just reading all of those 1st! So Silverlight huh? Interesting! Very excited to read this bk.

I re-read them all (Edgedancer for the first time of course) and TES is still my favorite of Brandon's short works. I cheated too and read all the essays first. I mean how can you not! I'm a kindle guy both reading and listening to audio books so this was the first hardcover I've bought in years. Had to have a physical copy of the star maps. 

So finished The Blinding Knife. Just wow. Again kicking my self for passing this series over. I saw it compared a lot to Warbreakers magic (which is my favorite magic system) so I really should have read it sooner. Although I would say besides the use of colors they are not all that similar. A little more elloborate than Warbreaker but not as cool to me at least as awakening. Something morbidly fascinating to me also about the giving up of ones breath. Anyway what the heck I'm going on about Warbreaker now (the Cosmere red headed stepchild). Mr. Weeks is great with twist and keeping up the pace. I've actually noticed it slow down a bit which is allowing for more character development which is pleasant. Almost makes me want to go back and give the Night Angel books another shot. 

Already starting The Broken Eye. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Ok it's been a long time since I read Elantris. Where are the light ball things in Emp Soul? Are they only around the city state? How far away is the city from the Empire in this? I see that Sel is actually pretty dang large of a planet. A map of Emp woulda been cool.

Edited by Briar King