What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

2 hours ago, Briar King said:

I don't think it really got going till bk 4 then it was just straight fun imo. I bought 1-4 after watching 1-3 and finished 4 as the trailers for 4 started to come out.

been a bit since my original read through, but I do recall liking book 5 a lot more than the eariler books (though Harry himself annoyed me through the entire thing).  part of the point of rereading it was to try to reasses the series from a different standpoint, so we will see how that ends up, but so far it is not wowing me.

9 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I got a copy of Warbreaker from the library (I read it previously, but only the version he posted online, which still needed editing, so I wanted to read the final version), but I haven't even cracked it open yet, while I got the notification that Arcanum Unbounded is ready for me to pick up at the library as well. :D

Wait, Jond, your library has AU

My city's public library is pretty bad. We only have two Sanderson books (AoL and WoR; we used to have WoK but it's gone now <_<). We do, however, have the Night Vale novel, so that's a plus.

4 hours ago, bleeder said:

Wait, Jond, your library has AU

My city's public library is pretty bad. We only have two Sanderson books (AoL and WoR; we used to have WoK but it's gone now <_<). We do, however, have the Night Vale novel, so that's a plus.

Yep, it's our county library system, and they're pretty good about that. The ebook library through them isn't quite as good, but they have most of Brandon's stuff in the library itself.

Finished reading Tales from Shadowhunter Academy tonight. Now starting on Michael Vey #6, Fall of Hades. I'm also participating in the group Cosmere re-read that was proposed in General Brandon Discussion and have gotten 5-ish chapters into Elantris.

Let's see.. Read Arcanum Unbounded of course. Edgedancer was a great appetizer for Oathbringer. I completely forgot how much I liked The Emperor's Soul. I think it's Brandon's best short. Also enjoyed reading Secret History again. Really enjoyed reading all of the shorts again. 

Read a few sci-fi books. We areLegion (We are Bob). Fun read about a guy how frezes his head wakes up a century later and is inserted in a computer for interstellar travel via a von neumann probe. Also read Leviathon Wakes never really got in to that one. Finally read a book on my list forever The Forever War (see what I did there?). Interesting to see the ramifications of relitivity in space travel. It was however written in 1974 and set in the near future of 2007 so it seemed pretty dated. Entertaining enough though. 

Also read 14 by Peter Clines on the recommendation of several friends. It was really in to it all the way until the last 1/4 and just didn't like it. I may still give his Ex Heros series a shot I dunno. 

Next up The Black Prism! This series has been on my list for a while now looking forward to digging in. 

Did I mention how much I can't wait for Oathbringer? 

Just finished Warbreaker. Wow, that was awesome. I feel like it's very underrated. I still have to read White Sand, but I had saved Warbreaker until this week because it had what seemed to me like the weakest of all the Cosmere reviews. My journey is almost complete. Started my first Sanderson with WoK back in September and have devoured the Cosmere constantly since then. I'm going to have to start over on SA I think now, unless I can get my hands on White Sands.  

Edit: I just started reading again this year after almost a 10 year break. Where should I go after Sanderson? Like if I was choosing between Kingkiller Chronicles, Gentlemen Bastards, or Wheel of Time, which would everyone suggest to read next? I have immediate access to the first book in all 3 of those series, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to more ideas or other authors who might be comparable to Sanderson. 

Edited by AngelEy3
Addition Spren

@AngelEy3, I've only read Wheel of Time of those three, but I loved it. Congrats on finishing up the Cosmere books mostly! I'll warn you since I just got it, the White Sand graphic novel (if that's what you're reading) feels very incomplete. For those who have read it, is it just volume 1 with more to come, or is that how the story goes?

6 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Just finished Warbreaker. Wow, that was awesome. I feel like it's very underrated. I still have to read White Sand, but I had saved Warbreaker until this week because it had what seemed to me like the weakest of all the Cosmere reviews. My journey is almost complete. Started my first Sanderson with WoK back in September and have devoured the Cosmere constantly since then. I'm going to have to start over on SA I think now, unless I can get my hands on White Sands.  

Edit: I just started reading again this year after almost a 10 year break. Where should I go after Sanderson? Like if I was choosing between Kingkiller Chronicles, Gentlemen Bastards, or Wheel of Time, which would everyone suggest to read next? I have immediate access to the first book in all 3 of those series, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to more ideas or other authors who might be comparable to Sanderson.

I have a similar story, it was more 5 years though and I read a lot of manga as a teenager, so Im not sure it really counts.

I have not read Wheel of Time, but for the other two: flip a coin, they are both amazing.

Brent Weeks Lightbringer tripentology is pretty Sanderson, it has a very interesting magic system based around color, more so than Warbreaker.

I really like Dresden Files as well, but they are Urban Fantasy and the magic is a lot looser. First three books are a bit eh, but from the fourth one on they just get better and better and better...

@AngelEy3 

1) The first book of Kingkiller Chronicles remains one of my all-time favorite books. The second book was not and no idea when the third will come out. 

2) Gentelmen Bastards same as above loved the first one and not so much on the second. Have not gone beyond the second one but have heard it gets better. On my list to pick back up. 

3) I have read all of WoT it was great but a huge undertaking. With some breaks in between some books took me a little over a year. It does drag some through the second half until the last 4 or so books.

Another series you may check out is the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian Mclellan who happened to be one of Brandon's students. It is "Sanderson like" in my opinion. I also just started the Lightbringer series which does remind me of Sanderson a bit. Without the cosmere Brandon is a really good author with the cosmere Brandon is a great author so really hard to compare. One last series I really liked was the Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan. 

Edit: Oh and I completely agree Warbreaker is extremely underrated. I really do not know why. To me it is one of the coolest magic systems and besides maybe  Hoid Vasher is the cosmere character I'd most like to know more about. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Well if it has to be 1 of those 3 I'd say WoT just cause it's now complete. You ll be waiting along time for the end of those others and Gentleman Bastards bk 3 is just hella bad anyway compared to the greatness of 1 and lesser 2.

if it can be more then those look into Malazan if you want a huge complex epic to try, if you want popcorn look at Safehold.

Finished AU a few days ago, so now I'm pretty much caught up on the Cosmere (less White Sand - I probably won't get that until all volumes are out)!

I also started The Broken Kingdoms by N K Jemisin, and it's pretty good so far. On par with the first book, I feel. When I'm done with that trilogy I'll either try to finish some other series (I leave way too many of them hanging), or get The Fifth Season, which seems like a very interesting book.

After having it being recommended to me several times over, I have finally succumbed and I have picked up Powder Mage :)

I am almost half-way through the first book and I am really liking it so far. There are many things going on, but nobody is going to be surprised if I say I find Taniel to be the most interesting character so far. The powder addiction is a nice twist. As for Tamas, well, huh, I won't give him the father of the year award just yet :ph34r: I am also enjoying the Nila/Jakob story even if it was only two chapters so far: I want to read more of what happens to them.

Thanks for all your input everyone! I think I've got it narrowed down to either Name of the Wind or Lies of Locke Lamora for my next series starter. I'll probably end up going with Rothfus because I have the hardcover. A friend passed off a copy of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman to me today, so I'm going to finish it up (pretty fast reading) before I start a new epic series. 

Edit: uh oh... I spent the last hour reading about world hoppers, and now I might have to start over on SA... A lot of references to characters I really don't remember. I started there, so it's pretty easy to see where I missed things before. 

Edited by AngelEy3
Addition Spren

9 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Taniel was my second favorite character right behind Borbador. 

Really liking The Black Prism so far. Very intriguing magic system.

I haven't spend a lot of time with Borbador yet, so I do not have an opinion on his character, yet.

Spoiler

I have just finished the chapter where Taniel decides to screw pup his father's order and not kill Borbador (What kind of father asks his own son to kill his best friend??? What kind of father watches the obvious sign of powder addiction into his son and does nothing???). 

This being said, I really love family relationships, especially parent/children, so huh this falls right into my personal tastes. Tamas really though....What would it cost him to treat his son as... his son and not just as some soldier to be ordered around. Gee. Fantasy and Fathers.

I'm done with Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. That was, all the way through, absolutely genius. It is bizarre, surreal, Dadaistic, but no matter how weird things gets it never takes you out of the story, even when a painting eats Paris.

I can't put how much I loved it in words.

22 hours ago, Zathoth said:

I'm done with Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. That was, all the way through, absolutely genius. It is bizarre, surreal, Dadaistic, but no matter how weird things gets it never takes you out of the story, even when a painting eats Paris.

I can't put how much I loved it in words.

You were loaning it from a library or buying volumes or...? I want to read that but buying the omnibus on amazon ain't happening till I find gold in my garden.

I wasn't saying anything. I blame Ruin, admins or Sazed. Anyway, gotta go, I found something in my garden...

Edited by Ookla the Sunrise Watcher