What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hanging Tree from The Hunger Games.  I wasn't expecting it to be so haunting.  I've never seen the movie, so I don't know what's happening in the scene, but having more voices join in on the last verse (repeat?) really worked.

Not at all coincidentally, I'm now back in my 'worldbuild by writing songs phase'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 3:04 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

The Hanging Tree from The Hunger Games.  I wasn't expecting it to be so haunting.  I've never seen the movie, so I don't know what's happening in the scene, but having more voices join in on the last verse (repeat?) really worked.

Not at all coincidentally, I'm now back in my 'worldbuild by writing songs phase'.

It's way more haunting in context (in the spoiler box if you want it). I literally wrote about this for my university dissertation on mass media in the Hunger Games.

Spoiler

It's a spontaneous song that is filmed and edited into rebellion propaganda, and the extra voices are people singing it as a rallying cry to psych themselves up for a suicide charge on a hydroelectric dam.

I really like seeing how songs from books are interpreted, as I don't know of any where the author has written a melody for it.

2 hours ago, jamesbondsmith said:

It's way more haunting in context (in the spoiler box if you want it). I literally wrote about this for my university dissertation on mass media in the Hunger Games.

Hide contents

It's a spontaneous song that is filmed and edited into rebellion propaganda, and the extra voices are people singing it as a rallying cry to psych themselves up for a suicide charge on a hydroelectric dam.

I really like seeing how songs from books are interpreted, as I don't know of any where the author has written a melody for it.

Thanks for the context!  It's been quite some time since I read Mockingjay, so I couldn't remember the circumstances in the book either.

Throwback to when my aunt was learning Italian and listened to this album! This song was one of my favorites. Obviously this is the English version, but I found it when I was looking it up on a nostalgia trip and honestly, I think I like this one better. 

Edited by Slowswift

It's bad form, I know, to double post, unless you are doing a great public service.

This is, without equivocation, the best song ever made.

You're welcome.

I send this challenge out to the Shardesphere, prove me wrong and post a better song.

Edited by Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

I had to put my cat down today, and I feel I'll be listening to this one a few times when I feel brave enough

Gotye - Bronte (Official Music Video) - YouTube

And another Gotye song, because I feel he might be considered a one hit wonder outside Australia

Gotye - Hearts A Mess (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Edited by jamesbondsmith

I’m a hopeless addict for Imagine Dragons songs, so I’m playing Wrecked, Follow You, and Cutthroat over and over until the full album’s out.

And as a casual Dream SMP fan, Derivakat’s music is fire, like the new one Revived. The lyrics and stuff aren’t super specific like a parody or anything so they’re enjoyable by non-fans, too.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:08 AM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

It's bad form, I know, to double post, unless you are doing a great public service.

This is, without equivocation, the best song ever made.

You're welcome.

I send this challenge out to the Shardesphere, prove me wrong and post a better song.

I accept your challenge!

@Orlion Blight, of course it's almost 9 minutes!

That is a great song!

When I was listening to it and saw the playtime I thought it was going to be like Pink Floyd's Echoes. Imagine my surprise when at the 3:21 it switched to a more rollicking and fun Syd Barrett Pink Floyd sound, and my further shock at the disjoint between the frolicking happy tune and the grizzly lyrics. 

I don't think it's better than St. James the bachelor, but it is my favorite song that uses the word "gorse". Edifying as always, and as these things generally go, your song has reminded me of another of my favorite songs of all time:

*EDIT: So I've listened to Long Lankin 8 more times, and I have to correct my original assessment, it's totally in the same league as St. John the Gambler, and is the best song I've heard this year. Well played @Orlion Blight, well played.

Edited by Hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Put the wrong song name, I was watching the video on mobile and the song title was cutoff, and when I watched it in full screen mode the video title was the 17thshard forum topic. So I listened to this song over 10 times before I found out the real name.

7 hours ago, Orlion Blight said:

Procol Harum has one of my favorite live performances! 

That is fantastic!! I love the deep rumble of the orchestra drums (perfect for Conquistador), and it's pretty awesome that backed by a philharmonic band, they still broke out the Moog synthesizer.

Here's a little bluegrass magic for your Friday.