What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

@Hoiditthroughthegrapevine Well, those were delightful! Let's keep this twang train a-rollin'!

"There's just gotta be a place up ahead where men ain't low-down and poker's played fair. If there weren't, what are all the songs about? I'll see y'all there. And we can sing together and shake our heads over all the meanness in the used-to-be."

Those were beautiful! 

2 hours ago, Orlionra said:

Let's keep this twang train a-rollin'!

Chugga Chugga, Twang Twang!! 

Townes wrote it, Merle and Willie made it famous but Hoyt Axton sang it the best (and yes, I am listening to this song an unhealthy amount) 

And a couple more that were written by the man with the golden voice, Mr. Hoyt Axton. 

9 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Those were beautiful! 

Chugga Chugga, Twang Twang!! 

Townes wrote it, Merle and Willie made it famous but Hoyt Axton sang it the best (and yes, I am listening to this song an unhealthy amount) 

I mean, it is a great song! And now I got a couple new to me artists to check out! 

Let's take this Twang Train up north in search of gold...Gord's Gold!

Gordon Lightfoot also did some good covers, like this one of a Janis Joplin song, followed by one of Lightfoot's lesser known songs.

3 hours ago, Orlionra said:

I mean, it is a great song! And now I got a couple new to me artists to check out! 

Let's take this Twang Train up north in search of gold...Gord's Gold!

I'd never heard Gillian Welch before, Time (the revelator) is one of the best songs I've heard this year! 

I love Gordon Lightfoot, I once killed a party when I was in college by showing up with my gord's Gold volume 2 tape and putting on the Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald. Not a party song I guess. 

Let's take the Twang train down south again to Austin Texas, to get a trio of songs from one of the best singer/songwriters alive today, Sam Baker. 

This first song is an autobiographical number about how he was nearly killed by a bomb planted by the Shining path guerrillas that exploded on a commuter train he was riding on in Peru. 

This one Circles back to Townes Van Zandt, with a different take on Waiting Round to Die. 

And one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard, about Baker's fingers that were broken in the train explosion and which he's never been able to use since the accident. 

On 5/4/2021 at 0:14 AM, Honorless said:

I recently discovered Bardcore and I have to say, I'm really enjoying this

I prefer bardcore songs without vocals, but this one is pretty good.

When I heard the Wellerman tiktok and its remix earllier this year I thought Shantycore might take it's place, but it's kind of died down.

The Wellerman (Sea Shanty) - From TikTok to Epic Remix - YouTube

There's also Morricore/Spaghetti Western remixes, but I've only seen one or two youtubers doing it (AC/DC - T.N.T. [Spaghetti Western version / Morricore] - YouTube)

Also, I keep finding my way back to this one

The Kiffness - Ievan Polkka ft. Bilal Göregen (Club Remix) [Official Video] - YouTube

On 5/5/2021 at 11:47 PM, jamesbondsmith said:

I prefer bardcore songs without vocals, but this one is pretty good.

Have you found Stantough's channel yet?

https://youtu.be/7rb4zyjK2w4

https://youtu.be/zLXkKWGH4_w

https://youtu.be/JE-q-uk7DQ0

https://youtu.be/v4FpuprPLlc

https://youtu.be/F6QBtRFfGjQ

https://youtu.be/pwO-BIEA3_A

Edited by Honorless

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot of piano covers of Avicii and Alan Walker songs while I write.  I especially like Jova Musique's covers, there's a sort of... bouncy feel to them that I really like.

The fun part is that I don't actually listen to the originals and I don't look up the lyrics, so I make up my own for the parts I like.

33 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I've been listening to a lot of piano covers of Avicii and Alan Walker songs while I write.  I especially like Jova Musique's covers, there's a sort of... bouncy feel to them that I really like.

The fun part is that I don't actually listen to the originals and I don't look up the lyrics, so I make up my own for the parts I like.

Yesssss I love that channel!

...can't relate to that part, though. :P 

I've listened to a LOT of music already this year, so instead of listing it all, I'll do place what my Top Music of 2021 is looking like right now. 

Best Sanderson Inspired Song:

“Mistborn Rap” by Rustage

Best New Discovered Artists:

Abir

Against the Current

Atarashii Gakkou!!

Tye Tribbett

(possibly Intervals) 

(possibly NF - I'd heard his music before, but his new album made me sit down and actually want to know who this artist was)

Most Listened To Songs:

“Amen” by Desiigner

“Giovanni” by Band-Maid (You’ll appreciate it even more if you can find an instrumental version.)

Best Songs:

“One Last Kiss” by Utada Hikaru

“Black Hole” and "About Us" by Band-Maid

“Lockdown” by Koffee

“Inferno” by Abir

“Lost” and “Story” by NF

“Follow the Signs” by Laura Brehm & Draper

Best Albums:

Unseen World by Band-Maid

CLOUDS (THE MIXTAPE) by NF

Best Music Video:

“Finest Hour” by Cash Cash & Abir

Best Throwbacks

“Explosive” by Bond*

“You & Me” by Disclosure

Song I want to sing most in choir: 

“We Gon’ Be Alright” by Tye Tribbett

Best Covers:

“One Last Kiss” by Amalee

“Simple & Clean” by Yvette Young

Best Leitmotifs:

“At the Speed of Force” by Junkie XL 

“Cyborg Becoming/All Too Human” by Junkie XL

Most Chill Songs:

“Double Bed” by Seiho

“Lovers In The Night” by Seori

Song I want to sing most in Karaoke:

“Trust” by NF

Runner Ups

“P2” by Lil Uzi Vert

*Explosive is a throwback simply because I didn’t find out the name of the song until this year. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

Have discovered an appreciation of metal.  Specifically, covers of songs that weren't originally metal.

Oh yeah, and Wellerman in different languages.

I'll get it on this. 

First up, Spanish Metal Sailor Moon

An Aladdin song, this one in English

Now, with this cover in the Japanese language, you might think I'm just posting metal covers of anime songs from the same guy

And you would have spoken too soon! 

Currently revising my Stormlight Archive playlist. As mentioned somewhere else, I imagine the books as anime in my head, so I give them intros and outros. Add that to certain characters having theme songs, and you've got a full playlist. Before RoW, I gave each book one opening and one ending song. Now I'm thinking each book needs at least two of each. To add to that, each book has a end-credits song recap that plays before the Wit Monologue - which have their own song. So yeah, it's a lot. But it's all great. Anyways, here it is. (Please note that the ranking of the OP/ED doesn't mean when it's placed - in fact, the first listed OP/ED would probably be the OP/ED for the second half of the season. They're listed first because I meshed the song and the story first.)

TWOK OP 1 - "Re I Am" (English Version) - by Aimer (the Japanese version is my theme song for The Wheel of Time in my head)

TWOK ED 1 - "Ref:rain" by Aimer

TWOK OP 2 - ???

TWOK ED 2 - "Mirage" by Band-Maid

TWOK Recap Song - ??? (Possibly "Throne" by Bring Me the Horizon, but I'd prefer a woman singing...so the cover of the song by Halocene?)

Wit Monologue - "Party Monster" by The Weeknd

WOR Trailer Song - "(as if it's) A Warning" - by Nothing's Carved In Stone (this may also be the Recap Song. Maybe)

WOR OP 1 - "Words That Bind Us" by Nothing's Carved In Stone

WOR ED 1 - "Assassin" by Nothing's Carved In Stone

WOR OP 2 - ???

WOR ED 2 - ???

WOR Recap Song - ??? (Possibly "Gooey" by Glass Animals)

Wit Monologue - "Starboy" by The Weeknd

OB Trailer Song - "House Of Cards" by Coldrain

OB OP 1 - "Insane Dream" by Aimer

OB ED 1 - "Us" by Aimer

OB OP 2 - ??? (Possibly "Wretches and Kings" by Linkin Park, as that's Young Dalinar's theme song in my head)

OB ED 2 - "Weapon" by Against the Current (the instrumental version will be saved for particularly special episodes, including the "Act 3 finale," which would include [OATHBRINGER SPOILERS]

Spoiler

The assault on the palace and The Rift. Which both take place in the same episode in my head. Yeah.

(this is also the song that kicked off the whole revision)

OB Recap Song - "Sins of the Father" by Donna Burke (it's also Dalinar's theme song)

Wit Monologue - "Devil May Cry" by The Weeknd

ROW Trailer Song - "The Search" by NF

ROW OP 1 - "Lost In the Echo" by Linkin Park

ROW ED 1 - "A Line In the Sand" by Linkin Park

ROW OP 2 - "Can You Feel My Heart" by Bring Me the Horizon

ROW ED 2 - "Lost" by NF ft. Hopsin (the words "Rhythm of" would appear and cycle through all the rhythms mentioned so far, before ending on Rhythm of the Lost, and then the word lost burns into "war," leaving us with the title Rhythm of War)

ROW Recap Song - "Kings and Queens" by 30 Seconds to Mars

Wit Monologue - "Heartless" by The Weeknd 

Book 5 Trailer Song - "Itch For the Cure" by Bring Me the Horizon (the accompanying song, "Kingslayer," is Szeth's theme song. It could actually function as an OP as well. I've even thought about it being the book's OP, but I'm going with the theme of "female singer for male flashback and male singer for female flashback," and "Kingslayer" doesn't fully fit that criteria. There's another character who fits the song of "Kingslayer" too, so depending on their arc in Book 5, I may still include it...)

Book 5 OP 1 - "Different" by Band-Maid

Book 5 ED 1 - "That Won't Save Us" by Against the Current (the emotion in the episodes/chapters will dictate which version of the song is used)

Book 6 OP 1 - "Pupa" by Nothing's Carved In Stone (also Lift's theme song and the ED of Edgedancer)

Book 8 OP 1 - "Gravity" by Nothing's Carved In Stone (also Ash's theme song)

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Currently revising my Stormlight Archive playlist. As mentioned somewhere else, I imagine the books as anime in my head, so I give them intros and outros. Add that to certain characters having theme songs, and you've got a full playlist. Before RoW, I gave each book one opening and one ending song. Now I'm thinking each book needs at least two of each. To add to that, each book has a end-credits song recap that plays before the Wit Monologue - which have their own song. So yeah, it's a lot. But it's all great. Anyways, here it is. (Please note that the ranking of the OP/ED doesn't mean when it's placed - in fact, the first listed OP/ED would probably be the OP/ED for the second half of the season. They're listed first because I meshed the song and the story first.) 

That's, a really interesting idea. I may want to try this. It may even be a good incentive to get back to reading. I'll be sure to listen to your picks, I'm intrigued now.