What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

On 1/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

I have now started to listen to the masterpiece known as "Albuquerque" by the genius Weird Al on repeat. All of you who are concerned for me are rightfully so

This song is from an entertainer who was to the 1940s what Weird Al is to us. My grampa (rest his soul) gave us a 78 record of it when I was a child - kind of ironic, seeing as he was rather a wild fellow. Humor in music - it's a tradition!:D

Someone explain to me how on earth I am only now hearing the legendary piece that is "Diggy Diggy Hole." I had no clue that I lived under a rock so big that i never noticed the Dwarves from Minecraft singing and digging under me. Let me just say, this is a masterpiece, and knowing its origin story makes it so much better.

5 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Someone explain to me how on earth I am only now hearing the legendary piece that is "Diggy Diggy Hole." I had no clue that I lived under a rock so big that i never noticed the Dwarves from Minecraft singing and digging under me. Let me just say, this is a masterpiece, and knowing its origin story makes it so much better.

So this is the original version? How many songs will I discover through covers? This cover in particular is really good though, I recommend it. 

5 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

So this is the original version? How many songs will I discover through covers? This cover in particular is really good though, I recommend it. 

Now I'm not typically a metal kinda guy (ignore my Sabaton addiction, that's the exception, not the law), but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Rediscovered an old favorite. I've listened to other versions they've done many times, but it'd been a while since I'd head the original. Mistake, that, one that I've rectified. (The last minute is especially good.)

Should also mention that I've been listening to their album Disciplined Breakdown again, which is quite possibly my favorite album of all time. If you think you might like it, I can't recommend it enough.

Edited by Slowswift
Should also mention...

14 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Any of you ever listen to a band called Blind Guardian? Apparently, they've made some music based off of Wheel of Time.

They are one of my favorite bands. The two Wheel of Time songs are both on the album At the Edge of Time - so anyone who's interested could just listen to that one, since it's also a pretty good overview what they're all about. If you like metal music of the very melodic kind, there's a good chance you'll like it.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:04 PM, Silverblade5 said:

Any of you ever listen to a band called Blind Guardian? Apparently, they've made some music based off of Wheel of Time.

They did a Silmarillion album, Nightfall on Middle Earth as well.  I've only listened to a few songs from it, but it was good.

I'm running an experiment of sorts - in school we were talking about how video game music is supposed to help you focus, so it's great to have on in the background while you're studying.  So I've been listening to the Halo 3 ODST soundtrack despite having never played Halo or any other video game, and it actually does help.  It's interesting.

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm running an experiment of sorts - in school we were talking about how video game music is supposed to help you focus, so it's great to have on in the background while you're studying.  So I've been listening to the Halo 3 ODST soundtrack despite having never played Halo or any other video game, and it actually does help.  It's interesting.

It is interesting, though I don't know that it's supposed to keep you focused. It is supposed to be designed so that you can listen to the same track for a long time without tiring you. Which can also help I think. The music can be great but it doesn't get in the way of your thoughts. 

Two things today: One, I'm not learning Mando'a from listening to Vode An and Dha Wherda Verda over and over again (eh, I know how to say glory and eternal glory, but that's it), but it's making me want to.

And two, House of Memories has no right being such a good song to write fight scenes to, but it is.  I have an entire list of good music for that, and I just listen to this one over and over again. 

Finally decided to listen to The Dolls of New Albion: A Steampunk Opera by Paul Shapera and I cannot believe I kept myself from this for so long.

It's amazing, and beautiful, and so storming tragic, and extremely well told for being only an hour and a half. I could become addicted to this. And I just may, as it seems there are like another 15 albums by the same composer because you can't be too prolific. I'm really glad I found this, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

In case anyone wants to take a listen. 

Also, I looked for the lyrics on Genius. It's good to have them at hand because some songs have descriptions and there is one where there's three people singing different lyrics simultaneously, so it really helps.