What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

On 11/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Yes yes yes!! If you like [The Oh Hellos], you’d probably like The Lumineers, The Avett Brothers, Of Monsters and Men, or Mumford and Son!

Sorry for quoting you from a month ago, but those are literally my dad’s top five favorite bands...

Spoiler

Truth are you my dad :ph34r:

On 12/25/2020 at 8:33 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

What happens when you watch Silmarillion fan trailers?  You fall in love with the music.  Audiomachine: Dusk of War  (Link in the title of the song.)  It has everything I want from an instrumental:  Drums, incomprehensible voices, and epic crescendo!

Well, here's another one for you then: Audiomachine - Uprising

You probably will recognize the art used for the background...

2 hours ago, Mulk said:

Well, here's another one for you then: Audiomachine - Uprising

You probably will recognize the art used for the background...

Ayyyyy, good ol' Nolofinwe!  Fancy meeting you here...  incredible music, thanks for the link!

Edited by Spren of Kindness

A good friend just wrote a song with his wife and put it up on soundcloud. It's amazingly pretty and incredibly sweet.

When We're Gone by D H.

@Truthless of Shinovar you should check it out, it has a very definite Avett Brothers vibe.

So, now that 2020's over, I want to share a small look back and my "Best of" for music I listened to in 2020. The song didn't have to come out in 2020, I only had to discover it then (with one exception). 

Best Sanderson Inspired Song: "Shattered Plains" by The Kepler Mission

Most Listened to Song: "Heartless" by The Weeknd. (Runner-up is "The Evening Hate" (Alternate Version) by Red.)

Best Song(s): "Bokura no Hikari (Our Light)" by Lyn (from the Persona 5 Royal soundtrack), "The Bigger Picture" by Lil Baby, "Parasite Eve" by Bring Me the Horizon, and "Jinsei no Hari" by Gesu no Kiwami Otome. (Runner-ups include "One Day the Only Butterflies Let Will Be In Your Chest As You March Towards Death" by Bring Me the Horizon, "the Savior" by Nothing's Carved In Stone, "Lemonade" by Internet Money)

Best Discovered Band: Band-Maid* (Runner-up is Meet Me @ the Altar)

Best Album(s): Post Human: Survival Horror by Bring Me the Horizon and CONQUEROR by Band-Maid (which is what I'm listening to now)

Song I Want to Sing Most in Choir: "Every Hour" by Kanye West

Song(s) That Best Describe 2020: "World's On Fire" by Mike Shinoda (the exception to the rule, as I bought the full Post-Traumatic album when it came out) and "Teardrops" by Bring Me the Horizon

Best Leitmotif: "A Friend" by Ludwig Goransson

*I think I discovered Bring Me the Horizon late 2019, so I'm not counting it here. If I discovered them in 2020, then they tie with Band-Maid.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Somehow my sister had heard an Avicii song I hadn't. This has been rectified.

And it's friggin' amazing.

That's a great song, thanks for sharing!

Here's a fun one, R Crumb and his Cheap Suit Seranaders, I'll See You in My Dreams.

It's good a great tuba beat, whistling that sounds like a theramin made by a saw being played with a fiddle bow, and it has one of the most talented cartoonists of all times on mandolin, R. Crumb.

Band-Maid's new album Unseen World dropped today (Jan 20th Japan time), so I decided to download it and check it out. And let me say, it's a blast. It's really felt like the band(-maid) just came out and punched their listeners in the face with their ferocity. Like, there's definitely anger in this album - I mean with song titles such as "Warning!" "No God" and "I Still Seek Revenge." what do you expect? - and I'm here for it. Granted this isn't the first time I've felt this way or have had albums start off with a punch to the face, but it's one of the most effective times for me.* I haven't felt this punched since Linkin Park's LIVING THINGS' intro. (Which, while wasn't as hard as The Hunting Party's "Keys to the Kingdom," it hit harder to me.)

Another name for this album is "Killer Kanami," as Kanami, the guitarist goes HARD on this album. She has wicked guitar solos in nearly every song, along with the drummer Akane, keeps the energy crazy high for the duration of the album. The best solos so far have been in "No God," "H-G-K," and "Giovanni." The bassist Misa deserves an insane amount of credit too, providing the backbone in many of the songs; she even shows off in a couple of them too! "No God" has a short and sweet one. Heck, this whole album shows how much of a group Band-Maid is. Everyone gets a chance to shine and everyone works together to make the songs come together. Miku Kobato's song as the main vocalist, "Sayonakidori" brings a different flavor to this album that's very welcome, while still keeping the tone and energy level the same. (Her vocal sound and style remind me of Co Shu Nie's "Asphyxia." This is the second time something about Band-Maid has done that...no idea what that means for either, but I like all three songs, so yay...?)

Granted, there are songs that I don't really like, but that's true for every album. I've found that I don't like it too much when Band-Maid goes more grunge or old-fashioned, and they always have a song or two that does that each album. Part of the reason I'm hesitant to listen to some of the older songs is because I'm afraid that they'll be more grudge than what I ilke. Here it's "Manners." "Black Hole" will take me a while to warm up on, but I'm enjoying it so far.

This album also has a more...synthetic feel, despite it being hard rock. It's the audio at times and some of the transitions within the songs. This isn't a bad thing at all. I like it! But it does make the album feel more muddy at times. Then again, that goes with the album's whole aesthetic IMO.

Ultimately, I'd give this album something between an 8.5/10 and 9/10. It's an amazing album that I'm having a blast listening to, but it's also exhausting. There isn't really time to catch my breath while listening, and I end up as tired as the band probably feels after playing this, and that's not usually how I like my albums. That being said, for those interested in the band or like their stuff already, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Tomorrow morning they're coming out with the music video for the first song on the album, "Warning!" 

*There's also the fact that my only real basis for comparison is CONQUEROR, which starts with the melodic-yet-still-resonant "Page."