What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 7:02 AM, Orlion the Platypus said:

Smashing Pumpkins

Well, isn't this interesting? I'm listening to Collective Soul! ;) 

My favorite brand is coming out with a new album in June, and they've released two singles so far: Right as Rain and Good Place to Start! I'm looking forward to this album very much. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust right now, continuing the tradition of the last few days. I recently wondered what my favorite album of the 70s might be. It made me revisit this because I thought it was a close contender, but now I'm actually quite positive it takes the cake.

My favorite band, Collective Soul, just released their new album on Friday! :D It's called Blood, and it is seriously amazing. It turned out to be available a little past ten on Thursday night, actually (thank you timezones!), and I stayed up far too late listening to it over and over again when I should have been asleep because I had to get up early the next morning.

Anyways, allow me to share some of my favorite songs from the album:

Edited by Slowswift
Dumb time limits are dumb, and I didn't get to finish editing the post to my liking.

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the songs of the new Lion King film. I don’t know what they did to the songs. Circle of Life sounded phoned in, I Just Can’t Wait to Be King was okay while Zazu just sounded bored, Be Prepared was barely there, Hakuna Matata... never have those two sing again please! and Can You Feel the Love Tonight had no harmony and Beyonce’s singing was way too breathy to match whatever Glover was doing. Spirit didn’t even fit in with the feel of Lion King and just felt shoed in. I felt nothing listening to these renditions nor felt like singing to any of the songs.

I immediately listened to the musical soundtrack afterwards and I actually felt happy, sad and giddy to the songs. I had tears coming to my eyes listening to Endless Night and Shadowlands, sang along to Circle of Life and enjoyed listening to the Zulu songs.

To compare the three versions the remake just seemed soulless while the musical and original had heart and soul. Before anyone starts thinking I’m bashing the remake’s music because of being a huge fan of the original, yes I do enjoy Lion King but it’s not in my top 10 these days, maybe in my top 25 though I haven’t done an official ranking of the Disney Animated Canon so I don’t know where I’d rank it.

12 hours ago, Draginon said:

I listened to the songs of the new Lion King film. I don’t know what they did to the songs. Circle of Life sounded phoned in, I Just Can’t Wait to Be King was okay while Zazu just sounded bored, Be Prepared was barely there, Hakuna Matata... never have those two sing again please! and Can You Feel the Love Tonight had no harmony and Beyonce’s singing was way too breathy to match whatever Glover was doing. Spirit didn’t even fit in with the feel of Lion King and just felt shoed in. I felt nothing listening to these renditions nor felt like singing to any of the songs.

I immediately listened to the musical soundtrack afterwards and I actually felt happy, sad and giddy to the songs. I had tears coming to my eyes listening to Endless Night and Shadowlands, sang along to Circle of Life and enjoyed listening to the Zulu songs.

To compare the three versions the remake just seemed soulless while the musical and original had heart and soul. Before anyone starts thinking I’m bashing the remake’s music because of being a huge fan of the original, yes I do enjoy Lion King but it’s not in my top 10 these days, maybe in my top 25 though I haven’t done an official ranking of the Disney Animated Canon so I don’t know where I’d rank it.

I think I agree with you for Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Be Prepared, but I actually thought Circle of Life sounded pretty similar, but that may just be me:P. I never really had a problem with the rest of the music, but I can see where you’re coming from. My biggest complaint would definitely be the voice actors; I want nearly all of them replaced. Overall though, I think this may be one of my favorite live action Disney Movies, just because it was so close to the original.

10 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I think I agree with you for Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Be Prepared, but I actually thought Circle of Life sounded pretty similar, but that may just be me:P. I never really had a problem with the rest of the music, but I can see where you’re coming from. My biggest complaint would definitely be the voice actors; I want nearly all of them replaced. Overall though, I think this may be one of my favorite live action Disney Movies, just because it was so close to the original.

When you compare COL 1994 vs COL 2019 the original had some emotion coming through while 2019 had less emotion than Katniss Everdeen.

I’m not even interested in watching the film because of it being The Lion King but with realistic animals. If I want to watch The Lion King I can just grab my dvd. The only live action remakes I even bothered to see were Maleficent, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and out of the upcoming ones I only want to see Maleficent 2, Mulan and Cruella.

11 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

What’s your opinion of the album?

I have mixed feelings, but I like it for the most part. It’s very experimental, letting each band member kind of do their own thing, which has mixed results sometimes(not a huge fan of Under A Dome), but works for the most part. I think this isn’t their best album—I prefer the other two—but it sets up a very interesting fourth album, which I eagerly anticipate.

Been listening to just about every rendition of Memory from the musical Cats that was performed on stage wether the West End, Broadway, National Tours or any theater internationally. I gotta say about 95% miss the mark on how the song should be sung, since it’s coming from someone who is so downtrodden that she’s practically on her knees begging the other cats not to leave her alone, and those women sing it without that feeling, go operatic, the exact opposite of downtrodden or seem like they are getting there but then change directions. The ones that I chose as my top 3 in English for Broadway and West End, not going to even try to rank the others because of not understanding the language or it’s broken English, are Mamie Parrish (the only revival singer to get the downtrodden across), Betty Buckley (doesn’t give a rendition that’s Grizabella but her voice is just great to hear) and my #1 is Elaine Paige. She just sounds right as Grizabella since tears definitely come to my eyes when hearing her sing it and her performance really sells it as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...