What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

Big Star - #1 record

If you haven't heard of these guys, there's a really interesting documentary on Netflix about them. They were a 70's band that in my opinion were waaaaay ahead of their time musically, got all kinds of critical acclaim, but due to poor management by the label they were under and a bunch of other weird unfortunate coincidences never got commercially successful. They inspired all kinds of big names in rock, but were almost unknown. Sad, weird story but man oh man, every song they wrote on their first two albums should have been a hit single.

*edit* You may know a cover version of one of their songs as the theme song from That 70's Show.

Edited by The Invested Beard

Listening to Nightwish(first and second Eras, as I don't really like the way Floor sings), and Sonata Arctica. Sometimes throwing Woodkid into the mix when I am not in the mood for Symphonic Power Metal.

I've also recently discovered Stratovarius and Metric, the former being metal from Finland like Nightwish and SA and the later being something from Canada, but I still am not sure what exactly.

Stratovarius is amazing, Nightwish took a lot of songwriting influence from them. I'm curious what about Floor's singing you don't like? Edited by azninvasion99

I like some of Nightwish's songs. I've the albums "Imaginaerum" and "Endless Forms Most Beautiful", but I don't listen to all the songs because some of them have screaming, which I'm not fond of.

Currently listening to Pentatonix's self-titled album.

Stratovarius is amazing, Nightwish took a lot of songwriting influence from them. I'm curious what about Floor's singing you don't like?

Well, I disliked Endless Forms as an album because the melody and lyrics of the songs I heard didn't please me, although I suppose it is Toumas' fault. So I heard on Youtube Floor singing some of the earlier musics, and for some reason she felt out of synchrony with the music, singing with the wrong rhythm.

I am still willing to give her a chance, since she only had one album with the band, which I probably would have been just as dispassionate about if Tarja was the one doing the singing, but for now I don't really liked her singing. Time will tell.

I listened to Rubber Soul. My favourite songs are:- 

1. Michelle (I listened to this 10 times. This song is amazing.)

2. In My Life

3. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

To be honest, the whole album is awesome. I find it in 2nd place (after Revolver).

I listened to Rubber Soul. My favourite songs are:- 

1. Michelle (I listened to this 10 times. This song is amazing.)

2. In My Life

3. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

To be honest, the whole album is awesome. I find it in 2nd place (after Revolver).

I really like Nowhere Man as well, not as fond of Michelle as you are. My favorite song from that album is probably In My Life.

I think Sgt Peppers is slightly stronger than both Revolver and Rubber Soul, but all three are fantastic albums.

"Hooked on a Feeling" from Guardians of the Galaxy

Blasphemy. That's not where the song comes from originally. :-P

I've been listening to 90's pop lately ("Bye Bye Bye", "I Want It That Way", etc). I'd say I'm in a nostalgic mood, but I actually didn't like it back then. Dunno.

jW

Blasphemy. That's not where the song comes from originally. :-P

I've been listening to 90's pop lately ("Bye Bye Bye", "I Want It That Way", etc). I'd say I'm in a nostalgic mood, but I actually didn't like it back then. Dunno.

jW

Be that as it may, the only place where I was able to find the version by Blue Swede to purchase was on the GotG soundtrack.

(Random side note: I just realized that "Blue Swede" should not actually be pronounced the same way as "Blue Swayed" but rather as if you are talking about a person from Sweden who is blue. The correct spelling of that soft leather-type stuff is "suede.")

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...