Suicide Squad

I actually kind of liked the trailer. There was a very... off vibe to it, which i thought worked well; the music was unsettling, the dinner kind of reminded me of Hannibal. I appreciate the darker tone (since this is a villain's movie)... but I don't think that it's going to stand out against the darker aesthetic of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

(And how strange is it that the Suicide Squad said they were going to save the world? I don't think Superman or Batman said that in any of their trailers so far).

So... I like it...

...Until the Joker appeared. Look, maybe the movie will be better, but his look just does not work. It just doesn't. His voice is kind of cool, but his appearance is so ridiculous... I mean, they got rid of the tatoo's (I think?) so that's a plus, but the shining teeth don't work on Kanye West, and they don't work on the Joker. 

...Killer Croc also looked kind of dumb.

I had thought it looked terrible from the promo photos, but this trailer upgraded me to meh.  There's hope for it yet.

Weakest point: Definitely the Hot Topic Joker.

Strongest point: I'm really digging their take on Harley Quinn.  Kind of reminds me of Jinx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EVstWcq-Q

Edited by ThirdGen

At this point, I think the best we can hope for is that it will be "all right". They just seem to be trying too hard to make an "edgy" Harley Quinn and Joker... rendering Harley as being boring and the Joker ridiculous. I mean, the first thing I thought when I heard the "Joker laugh" was "hey, I didn't know the Penguin was in this film!" And the Joker's line was too formulaic (much like Batman's "Do you bleed?" line), it's the sort of thing placed in the script to show the audience that the Joker is menacing but does not actually convey menace... mainly because you are finishing the line in your head before the actor does.

Over-all: it'll probably be better than I previously thought, but I'm still not excited about it.

...Can I just add that I am still mad that 

(Arrow spoilers)

Deadshot got written out of Arrow for this? The guy had a pretty terrible introduction to the series, I'll admit, but he really grew on me, and- even while saying that I don't find this trailer awful- I would much prefer an Arrowverse Suicide Squad show to this movie

I'll throw my lot in with what seems to be the majority here, meh. The dark tone, while still trying a bit to hard to be edgey, isn't really a problem given the villain premise. In fact the movie seems like it may have more energy... in a twisted villain kind of way but still. Them actually saying they'll save the world, Harley pretending her bat is a gun, the costumes in the shoot out, them actually pulling of a proper power walk with the entire team instead of fighting with each other and they even ended the trailer with a gag reel including a cosplayer... whadaya mean that's the Joker? :huh: Anyway, of course it's not something like the Avengers but at least they aren't constantly brooding. 

I'm a bit confused how meta-humans (or whatever they are going to call them) fit into the timeline, but I supposse I'll have to wait and see.

...Can I just add that I am still mad that 

(Arrow spoilers)

Deadshot got written out of Arrow for this? The guy had a pretty terrible introduction to the series, I'll admit, but he really grew on me, and- even while saying that I don't find this trailer awful- I would much prefer an Arrowverse Suicide Squad show to this movie

I'm with you there!

But I actually like this and I like Leto's Joker, not as much as Ledger's but still. I mean, if Superman is going to be the dark one, I guess it makes sense that the villains are going to swap places. :P

So.......the DC films are all connected right? What's the explanation for the disappearance of the Joker after Dark Knight?

Ever since the first images of the Leto joker came out I've been dying inside, and this still hasn't helped. I keep waiting, hoping that they'll figure out how awful looking it is....and nope.

Mehh, about sums up my feelings for the film. If its really, Really good, I'll probably go see it. But I don't really enjoy wallow(y) dark films, and I'm not convinced this or the other upcoming DC films aren't going to be that.

So.......the DC films are all connected right? What's the explanation for the disappearance of the Joker after Dark Knight?

Ever since the first images of the Leto joker came out I've been dying inside, and this still hasn't helped. I keep waiting, hoping that they'll figure out how awful looking it is....and nope.

Mehh, about sums up my feelings for the film. If its really, Really good, I'll probably go see it. But I don't really enjoy wallow(y) dark films, and I'm not convinced this or the other upcoming DC films aren't going to be that.

The Nolan trilogy--Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises--is part of a separate continuity. The concept of making them part of the same universe as Man of Steel was discussed, but it was ultimately decided that the Nolan trilogy didn't fit in with their new continuity.

Thus, Jared Leto's Joker is very different from Heath Ledger's version.

I'm with you there!

But I actually like this and I like Leto's Joker, not as much as Ledger's but still. I mean, if Superman is going to be the dark one, I guess it makes sense that the villains are going to swap places. :P

So the DC Cinematic Universe takes place on Earth-3?

... That makes a scary amount of sense.

I am seriously excited for this movie.  I am a huge Harley Quinn fan, she is easily my favorite female character in all of comics.  Yes, I know, I'm weird that my favorite female character is a villain, but she's awesome!  This is the first time we get to see her in a live action movie, and she looks really, really good from what I've seen so far.  Obviously we don't hear much of her voice, but she looks good.  Hopefully her performance matches.  

Not sure about Will Smith as Deadshot, but...he's such a great actor that he has a chance to pull it off.  

The only thing I really don't like about it...is Joker's look.  I realize he is not a main character in this one, but we will probably see more of him in other movies and...I don't like it.  We're probably talking about the greatest villain in history here.  I don't know, maybe I am still reeling from the loss of Heath Ledger who played such a fantastic Joker, best performance in that role ever. 

I really am looking forward to this.  It's different.  We see good guys saving the day all the time.  Now we get to see the bad guys do it.  It could be really good, I hope it is.  Cuz I wanna see more Harley.  :D

• 1 month later...

The Harley Quinn Jacket worn by Margot Robbie in the movie Suicide Squad is just amazing. For more features about this jacket visit my blog. Click [XXXXXXXX]

Well, hello, brand new person with a product to advertise.  Uhh... don't you think Steelheart is the best cosmere novel?

Edit: Removed the link.  Why advertise?

Edited by ThirdGen

This joker is pure psychopathic. WANT MORE LIKE HEATH LEDGER!!

I don't.

Ledger's Joker was incredible, the best thing about the Dark Knight and one of the most terrifying and amazing performances I saw in a film that year

But... no one shold ever try copy-catting that performance again.

It was iconic, incredible, terrifying and briliant... but the Joker has had 75 years of History. He's had lot's of different versions, lots of different takes. Drawing from different version's of the character can only be a good thing, because it means there is more variety to it. We've seen the Joker as a prankster, a mob boss, a man who wants to set the world on fire...

The idea behind this Joker is, I think, kind of interesting. Batfleck is old (and they are drawing from the DKR lore, which presents Batman as kind of oppressive and almost fascist, if you want to look at it in a  certain light); a youthful Joker, reacting against that in the most outlandish way possible is kind of an interesting idea. But -as I've said in other places- the way they are executing it seems more in line with the Jokerz of Batman Beyond, rather than the Joker himself.

(It's one of the reasons I hope the theory below is true. It would be an interesting idea.

If you haven't heard... there's a theory going around right now that this isn't the "real" Joker. The theory suggests that this Joker is actually Robin, having been tortured and broken into becoming the Joker by the original Joker. I'm not sure how much I buy into it, but it would certainly be a different way to show the character... and would free them up to do a more "traditional" Joker later on.

(Or even just keep him as a bogeyman, Red Hood-style We've had THREE Live-action Joker's by now- Batfleck could make a LOT of films about everyone else in his Rogue's gallery before we got to Joker again.)

)

By the way:

You notice how I cut out the "and retarded" part of your comment?

As a bit of advice, I'd recommend not using that word.  It really isn't appropriate. 

Edited by Quiver