Perhaps This is TOO Obvious

StormyAngel

2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

I'm not sure it's a distinction with a difference in this case. He uses 'Shadows' as an oath, shade and shadow are derived from the same root, the book that introduced Threnody and is all about the Shades is called Shadows for Silence... and we have two sources implying that Nazh uses Shades in some way  But whether you think he was talking about a Shade specifically or a Cognitive Shadow more generally, he's explicit that it's something you could do deliberately, with attendant rituals. That should extend to Shades as well as more self-aware manifestations.

Maybe I misread what you write but Shade isn't more self-aware manifestations. It's the opposite, Shades are less self-aware manifestations than the standard Cognitive Shadow.

About the "deliberately" yes you could become a Shade if you want. You need only to go in the forest and break the Simple Rules near a Shade. It will kill you and turn into a Shade...not rituals required.
This is the reason I think Nazh refer to being other than the Shades. He talk to his Shadow as an honor and with resprect. Not the Therenodite attitude with the Shades.

Much more, I think Nazh is too old to know the Shade as the modern Therenodite discovered them quite "recently" (a couple of generation before SfSitFoH).
But you have right, I can't be sure

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I agree something is fishy about calling it hell and I refuse to think it's a coincidence. I don't know if it would be a cosmere wide hell. Brandon has always left what is beyond the cognitive realm up to interpretation not even shards know what is beyond. I feel like if hell was just another planet in the cosmere it wouldn't be quite as mysterious. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, IGetLIFTed said:

I know I’m really late as I just finished Arcanum Unbounded, but if the Threnodites are dead, then what are the shades? Double dead?

They are quite clearly not dead.