kroen

Could Rithmatist be happening a couple millenia after Steelheart?

15 posts in this topic

Just had the weirdest theory: What if something that happens in the end of the Rockoners series splits the US and some of Canada into the Rithmatist's 60 United Isles? And something even crazier: What if the Master is a gifter Epic?

Sorry, I don't want to be 'that guy' but this is in the wrong forum (...pssst...you're in the Cosmere).

Oops, sorry, forgot the theories section is just for cosmere... if a mod can move to Rithmatist forum would be great.

impossible.

the hystory of the rithmatist world is that korea conquered the world, a bit after england. that does not fit with a post-apocalypse. it would require all people inamerica to die, so it can be discovered again, just for start.

I'd say this is a definitive no, since Rithmatist takes place in a version of the early 20th Century (i.e. before Reckoners).  So unless all of human history repeated itself, which is just implausible to say the least, I'd say it's just impossible.

Also keep in mind that the Rithmatist-Earth is physically smaller than ours, Brandon shrunk it.

And I'm moving this.

I know I'm reaching at staws here, but maybe a very strong Epic (possibly Calamity himself) shrunk the world for some reason. I mean, they do love to do dramatic big scale stuff, like turning a city to steel, or shroud it in darkness, or submerge it in water. I can imagine one wanting to split the US for some reason and possibly even shrinking the world.

And I always imagined the year in Rithmatist is a new count. Like in Steelheart they count the years AC (After Calamity) so maybe in Rithmatist they count after another event?

Has Brandon confirmed that Rithmatist is taking place in an alternate-history Earth?

Edited by kroen

There's zero reason to think that the Rithmatist world uses a different calender than the Gregorian one we use.  Rithmatist takes place in 1908 (roughly, given the date on the map) and setting aside the weird gearpunk stuff they are at a more or less early 1900's tech level.  And from what bits we get of the history, the parts where it doesn't diverge match up reasonably well to the real world.

Also the "Master" is just their name for the Christian God, because the Church of the Monarch is a Christian sect, based on a sect that does exist in the real world.

This theory is just not the case.  I'm sorry.

Also keep in mind that the Rithmatist-Earth is physically smaller than ours, Brandon shrunk it.

Wait, what?

Where does it say that?

And are the continents smaller, or did he rub out Australia?

Wait, what?

Where does it say that?

And are the continents smaller, or did he rub out Australia?

It's not mentioned in-book (because there's no way for them to know) but Brandon has mentioned it a handful of times, such as here:

Questioner

I love that book [The Rithmatist], the world, I'm looking forward to those…

Brandon Sanderson

The sequel is going to be very fun, it's called The Aztlanian, it's taking place in South America.

Questioner

Where in South America?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, I've rebuilt South America so it's kind of weird. The Aztek empire, which is the main name the Northerners have for it, they call it something else. The problem is I shrunk the planet, so I had to smash South America and Central America a little bit into each other so the islands that they are is it South America? Central America? What is it?

(source)

it's possible that it takes place in alternate reality.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but... This theory doesn't really have any evidence supporting it. And all the world of evidence disclaiming it. Sorry. But interesting theory.

This topic was also five years dead.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Weltall said:

This topic was also five years dead.

Haha I didn't see that. Guess my powers of observation are dimming.