Calamity cover art unveiled!

WeiryWriter

I found that interview with EW: "I love the original cover for Steelheart. For the paperback, however, we felt we wanted to transition away from the image of a single individual on the cover. Though David is the narrator of the books, the story is about an ensemble. It becomes a story about the Reckoners as a team. In particular, the characters Megan and Prof both really struck a chord with readers. And both have larger roles in Firefight. In a lot of ways, we’re trying to approach the books more like Disney approached their film Tangled – where they chose specifically not to call it Rapunzel, but instead theme it toward the larger cast. These new covers convey the explosive nature of the books, while at the same time allowing the entire crew to shine."

So I understand his perspective on it, but I still disagree. They don't stand out enough. The Mistborn trilogy had the same problem, IMO. I never picked up any of the Mistborn books, even though I had seen them multiple times, until someone reccomended Brandon to me because I didn't find the covers at all attractive. Stormlight is knocking the ball out of the park in this regard, but a lot of Sanderson's US editions are lacking in this, I think.

I really liked the original cover art, the one with a caped silhouette against a background of a silver skyline. Same with the first Firefight cover, with a trenchcoat-wearing silhouette wreathed in flames on a Babilar rooftop.

I never saw that one. Care to share a link?

As a US reader, I am seriously jealous of Sanderfans who get the UK covers. 

Actually, seeing them both together I think I prefer the American covers. They're more explosive and dynamic; the others are a bit too grey to really do justice to the source material's theme, in my opinion.

Actually, seeing them both together I think I prefer the American covers. They're more explosive and dynamic; the others are a bit too grey to really do justice to the source material's theme, in my opinion.

I personally prefer the US cover for Steelheart and the UK cover for Firefight, probably because it has a negative of Obliteration... so YMMV I guess.

Edited by Edgedancer

I don't know. I feel like all the UK versions of fantasy novels are the exact same.

Well the content is what's there to differentiate them, the covers are just to look pretty and I guess I find a shelf of books all with similar spines and coverart to look nicer even if some of the actual art looks better on the US editions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That...is certainly not how I imagined Calamity looked. I was more imagining a red moon...not sun. And that skyline...what skyline is that? It looks like a combination of Chicago and New York to me. But I like it! Looks great!

There is nothing of Chicago that I can see in this skyline. As for Calamity itself, I've always imagined it (visibly) smaller than the Sun and the Moon, but bigger the other stars. Then again, those covers are not necessarily indicative of anything, artistic license and all that. 

The blurb is not terribly interesting to me, it's more or less what we expected. But I do like pretty pictures.

The tall building on the right hand side of the picture reminded me of Sears Tower.

It's Atlanta, the (almost) home of the McWhopper

atlanta-skyline-at-dusk-downtown-color-p

Edited by schlim1

• Chaos locked this topic