Calamity cover art unveiled!

WeiryWriter

So Amazon's product page for Calamity has revealed the US cover art, and it's pretty awesome:

51%2BYhUCNfmL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

So what do people think?

Edit:  There is also the book blurb:

From the bestselling author of the Mistborn series and Words of Radiance comes Calamity, the final book in the New York Times bestselling Reckoners series. What started in the instant #1 New York Times bestseller Steelheart and continued in the instant #1 New York Times bestseller Firefight now concludes in Calamity.

When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David’s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.

David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when Prof struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Once the Reckoners’ leader, Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back. . . .

But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. They’re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.

That...is certainly not how I imagined Calamity looked. I was more imagining a red moon...not sun. And that skyline...what skyline is that? It looks like a combination of Chicago and New York to me. But I like it! Looks great!

Edited by Blaze1616

There is nothing of Chicago that I can see in this skyline. As for Calamity itself, I've always imagined it (visibly) smaller than the Sun and the Moon, but bigger the other stars. Then again, those covers are not necessarily indicative of anything, artistic license and all that. 

The blurb is not terribly interesting to me, it's more or less what we expected. But I do like pretty pictures.

My first impression was of a supernova, but a hole in reality works too. 

I got that impression at first as well but then I noticed the debris(?) at his edges, it shouldn't naturally gather like that and looks just like the edges of a hole in a sheet of paper.

I got that impression at first as well but then I noticed the debris(?) at his edges, it shouldn't naturally gather like that and looks just like the edges of a hole in a sheet of paper.

I wonder what this means for the overall story. I know that cover art isn't obligated to tell us anything about the story itself, but the US cover of Firefight—with its flames rather than something smoky and purple to befit her powers—actually gave an important hint toward Megan's weakness. Does this hole in reality hint at Calamity's origins, or does it hint at a possible ending for the series? Or maybe the artist just thought it looked cool. :P 

I wonder what this means for the overall story. I know that cover art isn't obligated to tell us anything about the story itself, but the US cover of Firefight—with its flames rather than something smoky and purple to befit her powers—actually gave an important hint toward Megan's weakness. Does this hole in reality hint at Calamity's origins, or does it hint at a possible ending for the series? Or maybe the artist just thought it looked cool. :P

Firefight also had some nightmarish shadow shapes on it's cover. :ph34r:

Not sure, I mean unless Calamity actually is a hole in the sky the cover would indicate that he gets down to earth and starts sucking everything up, blackhole style.

I know that cover art isn't obligated to tell us anything about the story itself, but the US cover of Firefight—with its flames rather than something smoky and purple to befit her powers—actually gave an important hint toward Megan's weakness.

I believe this to be a coincidence. I am mostly convinced the fiery theme came from the name of the book itself - Firefight - not from any knowledge of the plot.

I personally think the image of Calamity seems to be...too big for the cover and too big for the cityscape below it. What is up with the perfectly straight lines projecting out of Calamity as well? I can't even tell what they're meant to be. This cover doesn't really work for me. Sad face. 

Also, no bad metaphors in the blurb? Not even one?! 

I personally think the image of Calamity seems to be...too big for the cover and too big for the cityscape below it. What is up with the perfectly straight lines projecting out of Calamity as well? I can't even tell what they're meant to be. This cover doesn't really work for me. Sad face. 

Also, no bad metaphors in the blurb? Not even one?! 

There weren't any in the previous two blurbs, either. I think Brandon wants to save them for the narration. :P 

Wait...if thats how calamity looks.....

It must be he is actually an obese god who had just eaten 10 Whoopers at a Godly Burger King!

It would explain It all! He threw up his godly powers into the world below!

This whole story is just Brandon's way of making the serious problem that obesity is more known and accepted by an Audience! Its brillant!

Although this theory would leave the RPG unsuported, given that in no way does calamity support McDonalds and Big Al, being the Burger King fan he is. :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Edited by Random_illuminati

I still like the original Steelheart cover the best and don't know why they switched themes to this new "blow a hole in the cover and make it one color" thing they have going on. 

This is the one I'm talking about:

steelheart.jpg

Shortly before Firefight was released, I think I read an interview where Brandon said that they switched themes because while Steelheart was about David's private war with the title character, the next two books were more about an ensemble and how David fit into it all. 

That said, I was fond of the Steelheart cover art and wish they'd done something similar for Firefight and Calamity.