How is Marsh still around?

kroen

All the Atium was gone at the end of HoA. Marsh might have had some Atium beads in reserve, but surely not for 300 years? I was entertaining the idea that Harmony provided it to him, but he clrealy stated it's not his job to have favorites, but actually quite the contrary. So how is Marsh still around?

He specifically states at the end of HoA that he has enough atium to last him a good while, just not as long as the Lord Ruler had. Brandon wouldn't just throw this stuff at us out of left field; he planned for it and put the events in place that allowed for it to happen.

Don't forget, there's more Ruin in Harmony than Preservation, thanks ot the extra bit expended on humanity. He likes balance, and he has to put that Ruin somewhere. I assume he gives it to Marsh as his hands in the world.

I could definitely get behind that idea.  Though I do remember seeing a theory somewhere that when Sazed turned the koloss into a true-breeding species he created them with more Ruin than Preservation.  (Or that could have all been a dream...)

Indeedy I do! Brandon's a bit vague here, but he's certainly implying that they're balanced.

2. How is Harmony balanced when a part of Preservation's power is expended on human sentience? Isn't that what caused all the trouble to begin with?

Indeed. Hm... What could Sazed be doing with that extra power...
Source

Personally, I think that means that atium production has been resumed.

Or just powering something else. But yeah I think atium is returning. Especially since I'm convinced Bloody Tan was a Seer

ATEISTCANUCK (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

Was Bloody Tan an atium misting?

BRANDON SANDERSON (14 NOVEMBER 2011)

No, he was not. Good question.

I always liked that theory though, the only other possibility I can think of is feruchemical Zinc.

Could be luck.

You'd need some pretty insanely high quantities of luck to be able to dodge a bullet like that, especially since he obviously moved quite deliberately, he wasn't just like 'hmm, my shoulder on this side's getting a bit itchy, better mover her over so I can- Oh woah, her head just got blown off'

You'd need some pretty insanely high quantities of luck to be able to dodge a bullet like that, especially since he obviously moved quite deliberately, he wasn't just like 'hmm, my shoulder on this side's getting a bit itchy, better mover her over so I can- Oh woah, her head just got blown off'

Well, he knows he's going to need to dodge within a few seconds. He taps luck, and picks the right moment based on his intuition, people reading, and experience. Since he's lucky, his gut decision is the right one

Do atium Mistings even exist anymore, since Harmony ascended and changed the external time metals? Brandon could've been giving a non-answer to a non-question there.

I really want to blame Harmony for Bloody Tan, and say Harmony got him atium somehow, that if Harmony ever upsets the balance by being too nice, the immediate outlet is to find someone mentally ill, like how Ruin took advantage of Vin's mother, and compel them to do horrible things.

Do atium Mistings even exist anymore, since Harmony ascended and changed the external time metals? Brandon could've been giving a non-answer to a non-question there.

The Lord Ruler knew about chromium and nicrosil, so those metals still existed as allomantically potent things during his timeframe. That doesn't /necessarily/ imply that there would still be mistings of atium in Alloy Of Law era, but it does limit exactly how much monkeying with metals Sazed may or may not have done.

I really want to blame Harmony for Bloody Tan, and say Harmony got him atium somehow, that if Harmony ever upsets the balance by being too nice, the immediate outlet is to find someone mentally ill, like how Ruin took advantage of Vin's mother, and compel them to do horrible things.

You're thinking of Preservation and Ruin as being 'nice' and 'mean'. They aren't really about that. If Sazed was compelled to do a balancing act, he could preserve one guy's life and simultaneously ruin Justin Beiber's musical career - both 'nice' actions, and in line with each shard's intent.

I'm thinking a single bag of atium may be enough to go on for 300 years for marsh.

A bag is several kg (at least, I envision it as a sizable bag, not a pouch). An atium bead is a few grams at most. A prisomer in the pits of hatsin produced a bead every weeek, and there were a few hundreds prisoners at the pits on average. That would mean a production of no more than 1 kg per week, or 50 kg per year.

90% of that went stored away, most of the rest got distributed among the houses. So the lord ruler could prolong his life with a few grams of atium every year. A few kg could easily last three centuries.

Also, it was mentioned somewhere that inquisitors have their lifespan increased, and that would reduce the need to burn atium.

And of course harmony can make more atium fopr him anytime he wants.

Only one thing I wonder: to do the atium rejuvenation trick, you need the capability to use feruchemical atium. Marsh got his powers from spikes. Why the hell would ruin spike him with feruchemical atium?

ZAS678 (REDDIT.COM)

Why on earth does Marsh have a Feruchemical Atium Spike? You've said that Ironeyes is in fact Marsh. Did Ruin spike someone for him? Or did Sazed grant him the power?

BRANDON SANDERSON (REDDIT.COM)

Dead inquisitors Vin killed. Some were granted the spike for reasons I haven't spoken of yet.

But yeah I agree on him probably not needing much, it really just depends how much you could store in 1 bead

• Chaos locked this topic