Shaidar Haran

Sol Invictus

i know many people expected it and felt disappointed, but not me. I mean, the whole plot resolved

by a swordfight between rand and shaidar haran

? that, in my opinion, would have been extremely lame. I feel it would have lacked a point. I mean, fight scenes are flashy, but ultimately, they just amount to an exchange of blows and you know the hero will eventually win. they are, in their way, eminently predictable. also quite lazy way of solving the story: the hero arrives, beats up the villain, end of the story. if the hero instead has to use the brain, it becomes more intersting because you don't know how he will do it.

Fight scenes have their part in a story, but I would never want a story resolved by them.

Yeah, but I was just greatly annoyed Shaidar Haran, so terrifying even the Forsaken quaked in fear, was revealed in the end to be...a glorified walking womb.

Not only was he revealed to be a sentient womb, he didn't even actually give birth to anything. It was just....an inky darkness that led outside the Pattern---where we all knew the Dark One was anyways. I'm just...disappointed.

Another example of this is Stephen King's Dark Tower epic. Randall Flagg, Stephen Kimg's most iconic villain...gets eaten by a baby demon-spider. In other words, there was all this massive build-up, then...nothing.

And that is annoying.

Edited by Sol Invictus

• 4 months later...

Actually I somehow liked that style in WoT, where some elements were built up over several tomes, somehow contributed to the main plot and then... well, ended abruptly. It is annoying, yes, but it also gives a sense of realism to it.

Probably without Shaidar haran the took of the Dark One into the world would be less strong.

Shaidar Haran was an Herald for the Dark One, that at the begininng works as Agents and then give birh to a true "entrance" for the Dark One to the World.

If the Dark One wasn't seal soon, we don't know what conseguences this "entrance" will produce.

We can't judge his role just because his purpose in the end was avoid.

• 1 month later...

Wait.... What happened to Shaidar Haran? I obviously missed or already forgot it even though I just finished the last book hours ago...

When Rand goes to seal the Dark One.

Inside the cave (where after he prison of the Dark One will be remake) He see the corpse of Shaidar Haran open and void in the inside.

Moridin said that Haran was just a womb to the Dark One in this world and now that "He gave birth" to the Dark One's darkness was useless.

I just remember that he kept torturing the Forsaken when they messed up. Seems pretty powerful to me.

Ha had a great (and unique) ability to separate a Channeler from the True Source (but I can't remember if he may do this only to a Darkfriend).

Without this ability He was just a big Fade with many problems, for example he may left Shayol Ghul only for little time and more time he was far from that place, more weak he becomes.