The Final Frontier - - Star Trek Rp (Planning)

Kestrel

A few additional ideas. And just to confirm, we have pretty much agreed to go with the idea that the Great Dahaka is using a Shard, but isn't in the Cosmere, right?

-The Great Dahaka does have a Shard's power. As I suggested earlier, the Survival Shard pushes everything to maximum efficiency, making him create a civilization with efficiency in mind. Ten years before the Horizon (give me a better name, please) reaches the new galaxy, his powers fail, but visions from the Yo'Lin tell him to watch for the day 'distant travelers' reach Dakhara for a chance of recovering the Survival Shard.

-The Survival Shard flees because it senses the approach of another alien species bent on conquest. As Dakhara is split in constant war that the Great Dahaka actively maintains, it would have little defense against outside invaders, and it was too late at that point to change strategies. The Survival Shard fled to find a new host, this time in one of the invaders, who hasn't actually unlocked its powers yet.

-The new alien species is functionally immortal, and most of them still recall the Azi Dominion that conquered their galaxy thousands of years earlier and either exterminated or enslaved every other species. They are taking no chances, and are actively poisoning the Haze - it carries toxins rather easily, bypassing the usual Azi resistance. This new Haze is crimson instead of purple, but becomes hard to notice when mixed with regular Haze.

-The invaders have set up 'contamination stations' in the lower atmosphere hovering above ground, which slowly pump toxins into the Haze. The toxins leave Azi brain dread if they are exposed to them for too long. Soon after that, the toxins activate the same gene that has the S'Redit go berserk when given liquid Haze, stopping them from feeling any emotions save for rage.

I'll let someone else come up with the new aliens.

Personal Communication:

To: Captain Ashley Smith, USS <insert name here>

Re: Chief Engineer

Captain Smith,

Congratulations on your new ship!  I have seen the specs, and the USS <insert name here> is a fine vessel.  It will serve you well.

In response to your question about my former chief engineer, Lt. Cmdr. Garen, I have every reason to believe he will be a fine addition to your crew.  In my days as captain of the USS Nimoy, Garen proved himself an intelligent and capable engineer.  His quick thinking and impressive knowledge of physics got us out of several scrapes; but then, what else would you expect from a Vulcan?

I am hesitant to say anything bad about him, lest you get the wrong impression, but I should inform you that Garen is a little too fond of efficiency. (If a Vulcan could be said to be fond of anything)  He runs a tight engineering department, but has little tolerance for the mistakes of inexperienced personnel.  In his time on the Nimoy, he attended only a single social event, claiming to find gathering and socializing “Chaotic and unstructured, therefore illogical.”

Nevertheless, I highly recommend Garen as a fine engineer and crewmember.  I am certain you will find him as great an asset as I did.

Once again, congratulations on the new ship, and good luck on your upcoming voyage!

Rear Admiral Cyrus Jaxom

Starfleet Command

This is my first RP character, so tell me what you think.

Lt. Cmdr. Garen

¼ Romulan, ¾ Vulcan.

Garen is a brilliant engineer on his second ship.  This is his 7th voyage, but his first on this ship.  He is a Vulcan, and follows their characteristic devotion to logic.  Due to his Romulan heritage, Garen has difficulty with Kolinahr, the banishment of emotion.  He is able to keep his Romulan emotions under control most of the time, but it is a constant process.

He holds advanced degrees from both the university on Vulcan and Starfleet Academy in Warp Theory and Thermonuclear Astrophysics.  He is also proficient in the Vulcan techniques of joint locks and pressure points, but prefers a scatterbeam phaser for real combat. (shotgun FTW)

Garen is a perfectionist, and dislikes inefficiency.  His philosophy is that if there is a tool for the task, it should be used.  He is not overly fond of conversation or social events, due to the tendency for such events to be chaotic and unstructured.  He spends his free time making minor upgrades to various systems and designing an AI program from scratch.

Physical traits:

Garen is 6’1”, and is stronger even than most Vulcans, due to his Romulan blood.  His hair is the typical Vulcan black, and his forehead is slightly ridged in the Romulan pattern (hooray for Trek clichés!)

Ensign (Lt?) Durk

Durk is the Cardassian second engineer.  He has a fondness for insect-based food, and regularly replicates dozens of live spiders to fill his quarters so he can have a midnight snack.

(Durk is basically there so that if I need to drop out for a week or two someone else can keep main engineering running without godmodding Garen.)

My brother is a bit of a Star Trek nerd, but despises Sanderson with every fiber of his being. When he heard about this, he gave me too many pitches for me to remember and asked me to put them down here. I'm adding the ones I can remember.

-A planet wherein fiction is considered a crime, and the entire population takes drugs to enhance the logical portions of the brain and weaken everything else.

-A planet with rains of molten metal based on Earth three and a half billion years ago, on the ruins of a civilization with the components to repair the starship somewhere in one of the cities.

-A derelict theme park based on Earth for aliens, containing incorrect clones of famous people from Earth (philosophers, warlords, kings, celebrities, scientists, etc) for the amusement of aliens. Additional attractions could include the seven wonders of the ancient world, heavily fictionalized accounts distorted by translation and word of mouth until they reached the new galaxy (Example: Before Charles Darwin, life stagnated and failed to adapt to changing environments).

The theme park is abandoned once the clones of several warlords clone armies of their own and take it over. The few aliens who remained on staff now serve underneath the warlords; the species that built the theme park, due to incorrect translation and distortion through word of mouth, revere humans as deity-like beings, considering each clone type to be a god of a particular concept. Also, please forget zombie apocalypses - Blackbeard Apocalypse. Are you sold on the idea yet?

Sad to say, I have forgotten the rest of his ideas. He was rather insistent on the idea of a 'Blackbeard Apocalypse', though it might be going a bit too far towards ridiculousness. Also, when are we actually going to start the rp?

Edited by Adamir

#1 and #3 sound really cool.  #3 almost sounds like the premise of VOY:Demon, where they have to visit an inhospitable environment to retrieve important fuel.  Molten metal sounds cool, though.

I'm not sure on the Blackbeard Apocalypse, but then, this is about having fun, right? :)

Yarr, matey! Welcum t' de paiirate ahpocalypse! Thousands, literally thousands, of glorious Blackbeard clones running amok! Oh the terrible destruction! *Starts humming* When was the last time you heard of a pirate apocalypse? Outside of Waterworld, that is - The Film That Shall Not Be Named.

EDIT: I've hit my upvote quota again, I'll upvote the posts I haven't upvoted yet tomorrow morning.

Edited by Adamir

The ship that we used during the original roleplay was the USS Independence. Sovereign class.

sovereign_class_cutaway_by_iankeenan_d3b

If anyone has another idea, please shoot it at me. If not, we can still go with this.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

Depends on what we're gonna use it for, really. Or at least, what the intended mission was originally.

I'm always partial to Enterprise looking ships, though.

Also, could everyone repost characters under a spoiler tag? Please give name, age, and rank as well. All except captain and head medical is open (my two characters)

This goes for species too: if you made a species please repost it as well.

I'm starting to write my character bios now. Its a pity that all the old ones are gone and deleted. Pfftt.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

You asked me to re-post; here it is. Made some edits to the original.

The Azi Dahaka

General Information

The Azi Dahaka have various appearances, split into distinct breeds for various functions. They are united in a fanatical religious devotion to the Great Dahaka, their immortal king and the last remaining member of his breed. Their society is split into several distinct castes; the Yo'Lin, S'Redit, Ymmur, Sel'Ke and Tar'Ka'Jun.

They once held a great empire that spanned galaxies, but spread themselves too thin and suffered an almost-complete extinction as various species across the galaxy united against them. It is said that the Great Dahaka is the only remaining survivor of the Azi War. The Dragons of Berengaria VII and Maravel are the remains of Azi colonies, abandoned long enough to forget their history.

Azi Prime (Dakhara was a terrible name for the planet)

Azi Prime has a lower atmosphere consisting entirely of Haze, a euphoric gas that every breed save the Yo'Lin has developed an immunity to. Haze appears as a highly transparent purple smoke.

Azi Prime is suspended through technology by the Great Dahaka to never move nor rotate, keeping it at a fixed season and time of day. Different regions, depending on the amount of light they are exposed to, grow different fungi and plants. On both sides of the planet they absorb Haze to grow, though on the light side they also take in sunlight. While most Azi have a resistance to Haze, these plants still act as a potent drug, as with humans. Stemir, the winged reptiles that are the primary Azi food source, feast exclusively on them. This makes Stemir intoxicating to any who eat it, though it is diluted compared to the raw fungi; even the Azi breeds who are resistant to Haze are slow-witted when eating Stemir. Azi on the light side frequently have brighter scales, though the difference is only noticeable if shown with a dark side Azi alongside - this suggests photosynthetic properties in their genes, though those genes are made less efficient by Haze muting sunlight.

The Great Dahaka maintains constant warfare between the Light and Dark sides of the planet, because he understands the vital balance needed to keep the Azi numbers as they are. If there are too many Azi, they will consume Stemir at a rate faster than they can repopulate, whereupon they will starve and potentially hunt the Stemir to extinction. Thus Azi Prime is in almost constant warfare, which reduces the population by the same rate it grows.

Breeds - The Yo'Lin

The Yo'Lin are commonly seen and revered by most Azi as the leader caste, second only to the Great Dahaka. There are tales of when they were the most fierce of warriors, but time has dulled their skills, leaving them weak and entitled. They leave all decisions to the Sel'Ke, spending their time in barely conscious stupors due to Haze.

The other breeds have grown resistant to the effects of Haze, but the Yo'Lin never developed the same immunity. This leaves them weak minded when on the planet's surface, and saps them of the energy to fly out of the gas. Their appearance is that of a winged lizard with golden scales, averaging at twenty meters in length and twelve in height. Yo'Lin live almost exclusively on the light side of Azi Prime. Their life cycle averages out at nine hundred years.

Breeds - The S'Redit

The S'Redit are the warrior caste, used in warfare for their durability, though not their intelligence, of which they are severely lacking. Drinking liquid Haze puts them into a battle frenzy wherein a rampage can be triggered by the slightest movement. When not in combat, they walk as seven meter tall bipedal lizards with green scales, used for heavy lifting and manual labor.

When in a battle frenzy, they drop to all fours and are capable of breathing long jets of fire. During a battle frenzy, they can be directed by a Sel'Ke  sitting atop their back with a harness. S'Redit live for three hundred years.

Breeds - The Ymmur

Ymmur are the hunter caste, small and lithe warriors with the keenest eyesight of all the Azi. They stand as bipedal lizards at five feet tall, and are capable of using tools, as well as being one of the more intelligent breeds. They have small, thin wings that allow them to glide, if not fly. Their scales are a light purple to better blend in with the Haze, and they are capable of sudden bursts of speed when necessary. They are capable of spitting fire over long distances. Ymmur commonly live for two hundred years.

Breeds - The Sel'Ke

The Sel'Ke are a genetically modified breed of scientists and thinkers, the actual leaders to whom power is delegated by the Haze-afflicted Yo'Lin. They are the most intelligent of the Azi, and are completely immune to all forms of Haze. They were created by crossing the genes of the other breeds, alongside a genetic switch they can flip to give either side dominance. In practical terms, this means they can transform between two states. The first is a six foot tall Ymmuri without wings, capable of spitting fire like the Ymmuri. Their second form is that of a multicolored serpent with four short legs it uses to climb, whose size can be decided upon during the transformation - though never more than fifteen meters long, and never smaller than the Sel'Ke's normal form. The serpent has two thin wings that allow it to ride air currents and Haze, and is capable of breathing long, thin jets of flame. The Sel'Ke survive, on average, for five hundred years.

During their transformation from serpent to bipedal, a Sel'Ke undergoes a rushed digestion, cannibalizing its own body for the energy required to reconstruct its bipedal form across an average of three minutes. It takes them slightly less time to take on the serpent form, but the Sel'Ke burns up its excess fat during the transformation - which fails if they are lacking in excess fat. This prevents them from transforming more than an average of once per week, if they get enough food.

Sel'Ke rule from the shadows on the Light Side of Azi Prime, and command openly from the Dark Side, where there are no Yo'Lin to puppet.

Breeds - The Tar'Ka'Jun

And finally, the Tar'Ka'Jun. The Tar'Ka'Jun are the slave caste, to whom all effort is delegated. They are five foot tall bipedal lizards lacking in tails, with brown scales and no wings. Tar'Ka'Jun live for a single century. Tar'Ka'Jun on Azi Prime have no consciousness, acting more as machines than sentient creatures. When they are kept separate from the lower atmosphere for a sufficient amount of time, they retain their sentience. There are suspicions among the Sel'Ke that the Tar'Ka'Jun were genetically engineered from the Ymmuri, made more docile and particularly vulnerable to Haze so as to force them to obey commands while it clouds their minds.

Pronounciations

Yo'Lin: Yoh-Lihn

S'Redit: Sih-Red-Iht

Ymmur: Yim-Moor

Sel'Ke: Sel-Keh

Tar'Ka'Jun: Tar-Kah-Juhn

Azi Dahaka: Ah-Zee Dha-Hah-Kha

Stemir: Steh-Miir

Kagé

Appearance

Kagé is a Sel'Ke born and living on the Sunset Scar, giving him a mix of Light and Dark Azi traits. His serpent form consists of golden scales, with a crimson mane. As with all other Sel'Ke, his bipedal form has purple scales, standing at just under six feet tall, with patches of light and dark scales. His suit is elastic and molds itself to his shape, and is tucked away behind a layer of scales around his neck when he takes on a serpent form. He is currently two hundred years old.

History

Kagé was appointed as an officer for a border outpost on Sunrise Scar, the portion of the planet caught at the moment of dawn when the Great Dahaka froze its orbit. He was spawned from the vats to a Sel'Ke fighting on the Dark Side, and was assigned to the Sunset Scar. This meant that he could pass for both a Light Azi and a Dark Azi if need be. Whenever his forces started gaining any momentum against the enemy, reinforcements would be cut off, supplies would be disrupted, and other unfortunate 'accidents' would put his forces back and prevent them from capturing the Scar.

His superiors attributed his consistent victories as skill, and his losses as bad luck no one could anticipate. In truth, Kagé has vivid Haze-dreams whenever he sleeps; unlike most Azi, who have Haze dreams but do not recall them, every event is burned into his mind in perfect clarity. This is how he anticipates the enemy and knows how any given assault will go, because he has already seen it. He has never told his superiors about this talent; better to let them praise him to the heavens than assume him incompetent.

Edited by Adamir

As someone who already plays in a Star Trek RP (Star Trek: Borderlands), I'd like to make a suggestion about your ship. Don't use one of the Enterprises from the movies or TV shows. Go for something a little smaller. The Sovereign class has a crew complement of 855, where Voyager has a complement of less than 200, and the Defiant even less. With larger ships, problems simply become items to throw people at until it is solved, and with 855 people on board, that is a lot of people throwing. Someone mentioned the Akira class earlier. That's not a bad choice, as it has a smaller crew complement, and has dedicated hangar bays which carry not just shuttle, but fighters too (like the ones used by the Marquis in DS9).

Also, I can understand people wanting to keep Cosmere references, even if this isn't going to be a true Cosmere setting, so may I suggest a new name for your ship, one that fits with both the concept, and with the Cosmere... USS Venture.

Oh, I really like that name.

I see what you're saying about the ships (I think, in the first roleplay, we picked the ship out because it looked the nicest idk it was when I was in eighth grade so.. two years ago?)

I'll go look up some of the smaller ships and post them here. We can pick from that list, unless Akira sounds good to everyone; I'm indifferent.

Oh crap, wait. When do you guys think this should take place on the Trek timeline? I was thinking some time after Voyager.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

Oh, I really like that name.

I see what you're saying about the ships (I think, in the first roleplay, we picked the ship out because it looked the nicest idk it was when I was in eighth grade so.. two years ago?)

I'll go look up some of the smaller ships and post them here. We can pick from that list, unless Akira sounds good to everyone; I'm indifferent.

It's all the same to me. I'm just here to bombard y'all with kaon beams and try to punish you for the collective sins of humanity. :P

This might help, Lark.

Olympic, Oberth, Nebula, Intrepid and Daedalus are dedicated Science vessels.

Sabre is, iirc, a scout vessel.

Steamrunner and Norway are, I believe, designed more for transport than front line.

Miranda, Constellation, Constitution (1 and 2) and Excelsior (1 and 2) are more or less obsolete, however since they are older ships, refitting them to modern standard would leave plenty of room for expanded crew quarters, giving your characters some luxury not usually afforded Starfleet personnel.

Defiant is a warship, plain and simple. Too much power output for such a small vessel.

Ambassador, Galaxy, and Sovereign are all flagships (Enterprise C, D, and E, respectively). They have silly crew complements, and the Galaxy especially can carry literally thousands.

Yaeger, I'm not too sure on, but I would probably put it in the same class as the Sabre.

Danube is the typical Runabout from DS9, and Peregrine is the Federation fighter used, also in DS9.

Edit:

Apparently, the Yaeger class is a variant on the Intrepid, so another science ship.

Edited by Bort

I like the name Venture!  I also didn't realize that the Akira carried Peregrines, but that is extra awesome!

If anyone is interested in seeing some of these classes of ship to scale, check out the MineTrek.net minecraft server.  They build ships to scale with an extraordinary amount of interior detail.  The USS Geronimo is an Akira class.  If you don't want to spend a ton of time searching for it, go to http://dynmap.minetrek.net and look for it there.  It's in the upper right corner.

Characters:

Lt. Cmdr. Garen

Chief Engineer

Lt. Cmdr. Garen

¼ Romulan, ¾ Vulcan.

Garen is a brilliant engineer on his second ship.  This is his 7th voyage, but his first on this ship.  He is a Vulcan, and follows their characteristic devotion to logic.  Due to his Romulan heritage, Garen has difficulty with Kolinahr, the banishment of emotion.  He is able to keep his Romulan emotions under control most of the time, but it is a constant process.

He holds advanced degrees from both the university on Vulcan and Starfleet Academy in Warp Theory and Thermonuclear Astrophysics.  He is also proficient in the Vulcan techniques of joint locks and pressure points, but prefers a scatterbeam phaser for real combat.

Garen is a perfectionist, and dislikes inefficiency.  His philosophy is that if there is a tool for the task, it should be used.  He is not overly fond of conversation or social events, due to the tendency for such events to be chaotic and unstructured.  He spends his free time making minor upgrades to various systems and designing an AI program from scratch.

Physical traits:

Garen is 6’1”, and is stronger even than most Vulcans, due to his Romulan blood.  His hair is the typical Vulcan black, and his forehead is slightly ridged in the Romulan pattern.

Lt. Durk

Senior engineer

Lt. Durk

Durk is the Cardassian second engineer. He has a fondness for insect-based food, and regularly replicates dozens of live spiders to fill his quarters so he can have a midnight snack.

Edited by Vauhsoj

I would rather it not be an Intrepid, just because I don't want to rehash VOY.  My vote would be either Akira or Nebula, although Nebulas (Nebulae?) have larger crews.  An Olympic would be cool, too.

Time era?  I would prefer shortly post-VOY, because I am most familiar with the tech from that period.