Is the Cosmere a universe or a galaxy?

kroen

Guys, I don't actually believe Calamity is a shard, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here. If we take all WoB we can surmise with a 99.99% accuracy that Calamity isn't a shard, but it's definitely not 100% (and not because Calamity seems to behave like a shard -something WoB agreed with- but because there isn't WoB that he isn't a shard. It's that simple).

From a more logical perspective 99.9% sure is what most refer to as "certain to the point of any risk of being wrong is statistically insignificant". Because 100% probability doesn't actually exist in real life. Even if BS outright states it somewhere it can be retconned in some contrived manner. Probably won't, 99.9% certainly won't. But it's a thing.

Not that I know of. I am just assuming it has at least one, since Dragonsteel is suppose to be a pretty significant Cosmere series.

Being the homeworld of humanity and the land were Adonalsium shattered is not significant enough? Plus, it takes place before the shattering, so there weren't shards back them, only some splinters of Adonalsium and Adonalsium himself.

To that I can say that if Calamity wasn't a shard he probably would have pointed that out here.

Dunno, to me his answer seems pretty vague. Suspiciously so.

@Titan Arum: Are you seriously trying to compare our universe to a fictional one? how do you even measure the power of black hole against that of a shard? regardless, we know worldhoppers can hop between worlds via Shadesmar without having to actually travel the distance of point A to point B. And if worldhoppers can hop between worlds, who's to say that shards (which are much more powerful) can't hop between galaxies or even universes?

I'm on my mobile right now but I'm pretty sure you brought up our galaxy first. Also, if we're asking questions about different universes and we know Reckoners is set in OUR universe and on our planet, then I have every right to compare our universe to a fictional one, the Cosmere.

Edited by Titan Arum

Umm actually no, you don't have a right. Otherwise, since when in our universe do people have super powers? My point is that Brandon's books, Cosmere or not, are fiction. And just like he can decide people in our universe can get super powers, he can decide shards can hop into our universe. There really is no grounds for comparison.

Umm actually no, you don't have a right. Otherwise, since when in our universe do people have super powers? My point is that Brandon's books, Cosmere or not, are fiction. And just like he can decide people in our universe can get super powers, he can decide shards can hop into our universe. There really is no grounds for comparison.

You have no right to say what I have a right to say/think/or write. In fact, I bet others would agree that it is fair to compare the two at this point since we KNOW that Reckoners is set in our universe. As natc says, we should and can compare the power of a black hole to a Shard. And besides, who cares if we don't have people in our universe with real super powers. This is fantasy and fiction as you say. That doesn't mean we can't apply real physics to it when a part of it is set in our world. 

If Brandon were to decide that suddenly our universe were set in the same universe as the Cosmere so he could pull the wool over our eyes to say Calamity is a Shard, then that is poor writing and he'd have a lot of angry fans on his hands. Everything he would have previously said that is WoB would be a farce and then people wouldn't take him seriously anymore. If we're 99.9% sure Calamity is not a Shard, then that is statistically significant and implies that the probability of it being otherwise is so small that it's probably zero. 

At this point, find something else that you can play devil's advocate with, because then maybe you'll get people to play on your side as long as there is evidence for it. Here, at this point, all of us are in agreement that you're probably wrong. We've provided evidence for why you're probably wrong, but you keep at it and seem to ignore the evidence we present.

At this point, I'd be willing claim that you're just trolling us. So, this is my last response to you on this thread. You're not worth the time or effort any more because you don't know how to have a logical debate. Any argument that depends on "I say it's true despite all the evidence against it" means I can't take you seriously because you're deluding yourself and only looking for what you want to see.

Edited by Titan Arum

Yeah. It's getting a little heated... happy place... happy place...

I do think the original question of whether the Cosmere is a universe or just a galaxy is an intriguing one. It's never specifically stated that I know of, but I always just assumed that it was a universe. Would the shard that "Just wants to survive" have found a way out of it? It's unlikely, but interesting nonetheless.

I was always under the impression that the Cosmere is a Dwarf Galaxy (given that Roshar is in the shape of one and i 'think' it as confirmed that the Greater Roshar sytem is in said D-Galaxy) that happened to have one planet/system (Yolen) excel to such an advanced point of development and technology (beyond our comprehension in how we view our world etc.) that, somehow they managed to manifest/harness a minute fraction of the primal force of existence and then condense it into Adonalsium (at least, perhaps the part that exists on all 3 realms as the Cosmere's Physical/Cognitive/Spiritual avatar/representation so to speak, way too soon to even go there on that)

Yeah. It's getting a little heated... happy place... happy place...

I do think the original question of whether the Cosmere is a universe or just a galaxy is an intriguing one. It's never specifically stated that I know of, but I always just assumed that it was a universe. Would the shard that "Just wants to survive" have found a way out of it? It's unlikely, but interesting nonetheless.

In my view of the Survival Shard Mist, I would hazard a guess that the more another Shard Invests itself on a planet, the less it can do Cosmere-wide (move from system to system etc.), so it would always either be changing in some way/hiding/fleeing one system/staying one step ahead (hazarding it would be very good at precognition/foresight) after another or (how I interpret 'Survival' anyway, Evolution/Adaptation) has invested itself in a planet that has very cosmere-aware and powerful Splinters/Slivers in case of another hostile Shard comes. R

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Is the question is does the term Cosmere refer to the galaxy or the universe? Or is it, is the setting of the Cosmere just a single galaxy or are other galaxies etc. beyond it's 'borders'? 

Because in the later I'm fairly sure Sanderson's on record saying that the physics of the Cosmere are fundamentally the same as ours with the addition of Realmatics, which would be pretty impossible if said universe was the size of a single dwarf galaxy.

I find it amusing that people can keep there calm on the religions thread, on of the most controversial topics around, while being unable to keep your calm when someone makes clearly incorrect claims.

nq2gu.jpg

Edited by TheYoungBard

I find it amusing that people can keep there calm on the religions thread, on of the most controversial topics around, while being unable to keep your calm when someone makes clearly incorrect claims.

nq2gu.jpg

BAN EM.

(Just kidding.)

I want to point to Peters answer, involved planed being just a star cluster in a galaxy. This is huge reveal to me. It may mean there are some events bound to happen in galactic scale when cosmere planets reach interstellar tech level. What we know about star clusters are they are made by similar materials, A single giant supernova explosion may have scattered the building blocks of what we know as cosmere planetary systems. This can explain rather small scale effect(star cluster) of adonalsium within a galaxy. It may be powered by that supernova in the first place.

• Chaos locked this topic