Shadows of Self Chapter 1

spencer12347

There is this "Great Catacendre" again. I am now mostly convinced it refers to the years between the freeing of Ruin and the rise of Harmony - "cendre" is the French word for "ash" (or so Google Translate tells me), and "cata" is strongly reminiscent of cataclysm. Ash Cataclysm, or maybe Ash Apocalypse, is what it means in my head.

Oooh, aluminum-lined hats. Tinfoil hats are real on Scadrial and they work!

Edited by Argent

There is this "Great Catacendre" again. I am now mostly convinced it refers to the years between the freeing of Ruin and the rise of Harmony - "cendre" is the French word for "ash" (or so Google Translate tells me), and "cata" is strongly reminiscent of cataclysm. Ash Cataclysm, or maybe Ash Apocalypse, is what it means in my head.

Oooh, aluminum-lined hats. Tinfoil hats are real on Scadrial and they work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DuBe1Xhv8NM#t=1611

I'm guessing this is the meaning.

Ooh exciting - no beating about the bush there then. Straight into the action.

"The Great Catacendre" - I think this refers to the ancestors of current Scadrians hiding in the caves. Catacombs ~ another word for cave and "cendre" from the French, "descendre" - to descend. So -the life saving descent into the Lord Ruler's caverns. That's my take on it but it is the first time I've heard  the word although when I searched for it, I found the WOB where it had been previously mentioned.

This line too from the chapter:

"A representation of the ashen nature of life in a pre-Catacendric world, hmmm?"

suggests that the Catacendre marked the end of the ash and, of course, the survivors emerged into Harmony's ash free new Scadrial.

Edited: thread ninjaed!

Edited by Mrs.K.Stormblessed

On that note, I find it remarkable that Google-ing "Catacendre" brings up pretty much only links to this site and ones related to it. Inventing a word on the Internet is pretty difficult. 

@Argent the aluminum foil hat thing is in Alloy so we've known about that for a while.

On the etymology of Catacendre:  "Cendre" is the french word for ash and "cata" is a latin root meaning "down", so maybe "Ashfall" would be a descent translation?  Of course ash fell all the time during the TFE-era and the Catacendre only took place at the end, so perhaps it refers to the particularly dense ashfalls that began after Ruin was released?

On the "spy": Did anyone else get the feeling she was a kandra?

It must be that time of year again...time to spoil ourselves silly with excerpts and then wait like a horde of children in line for the next Pokemon game...(err, the '90s happened!) as we wait, impatiently, for this book. I'm great at similes! See, I should get a gold metal.

On the "spy": Did anyone else get the feeling she was a kandra?

Yeah. They're probably working for Edward Ladrian or someone like that. Or maybe I just want an "evil"/rebel kandra...<.<

Edited by Nymp

On the etymology of Catacendre:  "Cendre" is the french word for ash and "cata" is a latin root meaning "down", so maybe "Ashfall" would be a descent translation?  Of course ash fell all the time during the TFE-era and the Catacendre only took place at the end, so perhaps it refers to the particularly dense ashfalls that began after Ruin was released?

Perhaps it's more of the Ash-world Falling to the new!Scadrial?

Either way, I think Argent is correct in thinking that the Great Catacendre was the events of HoA.

It must be that time of year again...time to spoil ourselves silly with excerpts and then wait like a horde of children in line for the next Pokemon game...(err, the '90s happened!) as we wait, impatiently, for this book. I'm great at similes! See, I should get a gold metal.

Yeah. They're probably working for Edward Ladrian or someone like that. Or maybe I just want an "evil"/rebel kandra...<.<

They're all in service of Harmony now right?

It's not above them to break rules, just look at HoA, but being spiked up they can't really get away with anything major unnoticed.

Eh I don't know about that.  Like the hit was definitely orchestrated by Edwarn but I think the spy was unrelated to that?  Like why send in a spy when you are just going to kill everyone, easier just to capture a few and torture them?  I do think that the kandra is working for Harmony, since Winsting dismisses the notion of him watching as "superstitious nonsense", that's just a fool tempting a "god".

Eh I don't know about that.  Like the hit was definitely orchestrated by Edwarn but I think the spy was unrelated to that?  Like why send in a spy when you are just going to kill everyone, easier just to capture a few and torture them?  I do think that the kandra is working for Harmony, since Winsting dismisses the notion of him watching as "superstitious nonsense", that's just a fool tempting a "god".

Yeeeah, I know, I just have an evil desire to see what a kandra criminal could do if they set their mind to it, but that's just me... You're probably right, though, since Winstring's a bit of a special kind of idiot who had it coming...xD

Catacendre, from my knowledge, is basically the same as the Final Ascension, which is Last Ascension here. Hmm. That last one is probably an error.

If you see inconsistencies, please post them. This is not quite the final version of Shadows as there is still a proofreading stage. It is not too late.

Since everyone's mentioning Catacendre: "Long shadows stretched from the statues of the Ascendant Warrior and the Last Emperor in the green park where, according to fanciful legend, their corpses had been discovered following the Great Catacendre and the Last Ascension."As mentioned by the WOB, it's the end of the ash, the remaking of the world. You'd think in the eyes of history the Catacendre and the Last Ascension would be the same thing being so close in relevance and time, but I suppose there's a difference made for the Harmony's personal change and the more worldwide change (so in other words, possible differentiation due to religious connotations surrounding God and the world). 

Also, so happy Vin and Elend get to last together :) those two are just too lovely

Aaaand on a more cynical note, politicians always worrying about their reputation over their lives  :D

Catacendre, from my knowledge, is basically the same as the Final Ascension, which is Last Ascension here. Hmm. That last one is probably an error.

If you see inconsistencies, please post them. This is not quite the final version of Shadows as there is still a proofreading stage. It is not too late.

Tor.com put up the wrong version of the text. I've asked them to update it.

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic