I have been somewhat tentative about starting an AMA because it seems rather self-centered and I wanted to ask you all questions as well. However, I came up with an idea that seems to mitigate this effect. 

If you ask me a question, I will answer it and, in return, make sure that I ask you a question. If you have an AMA, I'll probably do it there, if not, this thread should work. I'll still try to ask questions of my own volition, but this can be a dialogue thread. 

Disclaimer:

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer a silly question. Ask a deep question, get a dissertation of an answer and a deep question. Ask a question about something I'm passionate about, you'll get a lecture. Answers and questions may be dependent on the operational status of the my brain and the amount of time since consuming food and/or sleeping. In the event of an emergency, including, but not limited to: the internet crashing, the sky falling, oversleeping, eating food, overthinking, and going to Tahoe without wi-fi, answers and questions may be delayed anywhere from 3-14 business days. By engaging in this activity, you (hereinafter referred to as "You" waive your right to be left alone and will be given a question to answer. Failure to answer will be met with lots of disappointment and  :( emoticons. In the event that You are asked a question, valid excuses include, but are not limited to the above "emergencies". Ising the having of fun wasing of the prohibiting. Corrections to my High Imperial grammar are welcome.  :)

Wasing the thinking of the talking of Wayne in the was of this.  Exploding the casing of the brain?

I was thinking of Wayne talking like this.  Wouldn't it make your brain explode?

Edited by ThirdGen

Wasing the thinking of the talking of Wayne in the was of this.  Exploding the casing of the brain?

I was thinking of Wayne talking like this.  Wouldn't it make your brain explode?

Definitely weird. Seeing as Wayne is against logic, he might like talking in High Imperial. However, it's too upper class and snobby in his era, so I doubt that he'd start speaking that way. I've never been proficient in High Imperial, but I've always liked it as a way of identifying Sanderfans. 

Why not whilstle to the puzzles riddles?

Why did you kill the cat? :,(

I've always liked how the Parshendi hummed to certain rhythms, be they Curiosity, Anger, or Skepticism. Plus, Pattern, among other things, hums, albeit in a much more mechanical way. And I am deeply fond of Pattern. Whistling doesn't convey that double association and play on words. Plus, if you know me in the real world, you would notice my tendency to hum snatches of song at odd intervals.

Well... I tried not to kill it. Hopefully no more cats will be harmed in the making of my posts. Maybe I don't actively kill cats, but am attracted to cats that are about to die. Maybe I'm a catdoomspren.  :ph34r:

Are you a conspiracy theorist, or just another random Illuminati?

How often do you find yourself speaking eastern street slang, pardon, I mean High Imperial in your daily life? :P

Favorite Oregon RP character?

Again, I'm not terribly proficient at it, but I enjoy baffling some people with it. I perhaps think a thought in High Imperial once a day, but then I don't know the grammar enough to be confident in saying it correctly. 

I'm a fan of the Unicyclist just because he's pointedly weird, but I ironically felt the most emotional connection to Mr. Meh. (THEY KILLED HIM! WHY?!? :( ) I also have a soft spot for Backtrack. I hope his ever-cool sunglasses stay unharmed. The thing I enjoy the most about the RP is the feeling of impending doom for Portland. I watch all of the pieces coming together with a niggling anticipation that the they'll eventually destroy each other. Honestly, I like very few characters, but I read hoping that people like Lightwards, Corpsemaker, and Lucentia all get their comeuppance. Funtimes, I hope, will get some redemption. The vanillas are the most sympathetic characters, and I hope that they finally bring a Reckoning even as Oregon is destroyed.

I'm a fan of the Unicyclist just because he's pointedly weird, but I ironically felt the most emotional connection to Mr. Meh. (THEY KILLED HIM! WHY?!? :( ) 

Because he started off with my perusal of an Uncyclopedia list of superhumans, and wound up taking on more personality than I'd intended. :mellow: What did you like about him, if you don't mind my asking? 

Im a Random Illuminati who just HAPPENS to be a conspiracy theorist.

Are you aware you forgot to ask a question to Malliw?

Actually, Curiosity did ask Malliw a question:

THEY KILLED HIM! WHY?!?  :( 

It seems, though, he forgot to ask a question to ThirdGen.

Now here's my question since I've commented: Curiosity, do you have synesthesia? If so, what kind? If it's grapheme-color synesthesia, what colors make up your username Curiosity?

Because he started off with my perusal of an Uncyclopedia list of superhumans, and wound up taking on more personality than I'd intended.  :mellow: What did you like about him, if you don't mind my asking? 

I think the PoV was very amusing, and I liked the implications that Mister Meh could actually use his powers without killing people because they just made him... well, meh. 

Im a Random Illuminati who just HAPPENS to be a conspiracy theorist.

Are you aware you forgot to ask a question to Malliw?

It seems, though, he forgot to ask a question to ThirdGen.

Now here's my question since I've commented: Curiosity, do you have synesthesia? If so, what kind? If it's grapheme-color synesthesia, what colors make up your username Curiosity?

The missing questions are in other AMA's. I didn't see one for you, Random Illuminati, so I just asked it here. Which conspiracies do you ascribe to? 

Titan: I am indeed a grapheme-color sysnesthete. (I suppose I have made that obvious with some of my other posts here.) Other forms that I am fairly confident that I experience include number form and ordinal linguistic personification. (See here for clarification.) However, I find myself liking the label "ideasthete" more and more, since my impression of my username "Curiosity" is different than my impression of the word for and concept of what killed the cat. The username impression is very similar to the multicolored appearance of Aon Sao, somewhat bubbling and slightly green, slightly purple, with snatches of red and gold thrown in. Curiosity as a word and concept is primarily red, but when used the context of "killing the cat", yellow is thrown into the mix as well (might have originated from a children's book: Kat Kong, anyone?). C is pink/red (not a mixture of paints, more of a fusion, sort of like gummy worms); u, i, and o are all vowels without much color; r is slightly brown (the color isn't strong, but it's not a faded color); s is boringly black, t is a strong blue; y is black with a little brown. 

Ahem. You have found one of my discourse-inducing/gush topics. What's something you could talk about for more than a few paragraphs?

Have you tried learning a non-Latin alphabet? If so, does the phonetic transcription of the word "Curiosity" using that alphabet produce similar synesthetic colors? How about the actual translation of that word into a language that uses that alphabet?

Thanks for asking a question in my AMA thread two weeks ago, by the way. :)

Edited by skaa

Ahem. You have found one of my discourse-inducing/gush topics. What's something you could talk about for more than a few paragraphs?

First, thank you so much for your extended answer! I found it all to be fascinating. I was introduced to synesthesia when I dated a girl who was a grapheme-color sysnesthete. I was fascnated by how she saw the world and was able to memorize strings of numbers and words so effortlessly. Thus, when I first read Warbreaker, I was constantly wondering what life would be like on Nalthis if everybody were synesthetes. 

What could I talk about for more than a few paragraphs? I'm most passionate about the field that I currently work in, which is international development. I'm currently a development economist trying to determine what type of international aid projects have a real impact so that donors can keep supporting the projects that work. For me, I became interested in international development after I randomly studied abroad while at university back in 2004. I spent 7 months in Ghana, when originally I was only hoping to go to Washington, DC. My step-mother refused to let me go to DC because I'm from there and to spite her I decided to go to the most random place I could: West Africa. 

That trip changed my life, and for the better. I had never truly comprehended what abject poverty really was. In America you don't usually come across friendly people who have no running water, no health services, a lack of education beyond primary school, not enough food to get by, and living on less than $2 a day. We have poverty, but it's not the same poverty. It just. Yah, I knew I had to do something to fight this atrocity around the world. 

Fast forward a decade and I've worked on microfinance projects in Vietnam and India. I've evaluated programs on education, health, school-based management, nutrition, keeping at-risk-youth in school, water, access to roads, etc. I've gotten to SEE the world. And when I say "see", I don't mean visit on a holiday. I mean embed myself in these societies, living and working closely with locals, to help empower their populations and see real growth and change.

When you know that a project you've worked on has helped send children to school who wouldn't have gone otherwise, or to know that a whole village finally has access to running water, it puts a smile on my face. Maybe, just maybe, these kids will go to university one day and will actually be the ones to help truly develop their countries. I hope one day that my job disappears. Until that day happens, I'll do everything that I can to see it happen. Thus, my next step in life will be to move abroad and live in developing countries permanently. Hopefully while working at USAID as a Foreign Service Officer, developing new programs for the people and societies of the world that can't do it for themselves yet. 

I'm a fan of the Unicyclist just because he's pointedly weird, but I ironically felt the most emotional connection to Mr. Meh. (THEY KILLED HIM! WHY?!? :( ) I also have a soft spot for Backtrack. I hope his ever-cool sunglasses stay unharmed. The thing I enjoy the most about the RP is the feeling of impending doom for Portland. I watch all of the pieces coming together with a niggling anticipation that the they'll eventually destroy each other. Honestly, I like very few characters, but I read hoping that people like Lightwards, Corpsemaker, and Lucentia all get their comeuppance. Funtimes, I hope, will get some redemption. The vanillas are the most sympathetic characters, and I hope that they finally bring a Reckoning even as Oregon is destroyed.

The Unicyclist is a crowd favorite, I think. Definitely one of the funnest to read about. 

It's very interesting to get an outside look at our crazy writing and see that even people who aren't involved in it still enjoy it. Don't worry, it will be destroyed. It may take another year, but it'll happen. :P

If you could choose one superpower, what would it be?

As always, it's flattering that you actually take the time to read this crazy game of ours. :D

Also, your saying you like Backtrack is the best thing to happen to him in a while. :P

[musing]Hmmm....if I ask you a question, and you ask one in return, it may just jump-start my dead AMA thread....

Then again, if I ask more...[/musing] [evil laughter]

How do you feel about physics?

Also, your profile indicates interest in science. What field is your favorite and why?

Finally, a little deeper, what is the relationship of scientific inquiry to human knowledge?

[musing]Hmmm....if I ask you a question, and you ask one in return, it may just jump-start my dead AMA thread....

Also, your profile indicates interest in science. What field is your favorite and why?

Finally, a little deeper, what is the relationship of scientific inquiry to human knowledge?

When will the evil laughter end?!?! It keeps reverberating around and around my apartment. It's starting to scare my dog SiMon! ;)

Have you tried learning a non-Latin alphabet? If so, does the phonetic transcription of the word "Curiosity" using that alphabet produce similar synesthetic colors? How about the actual translation of that word into a language that uses that alphabet?

Thanks for asking a question in my AMA thread two weeks ago, by the way. :)

I have dabbled in Greek, and been exposed to Cyrillic and Hebrew. Greek is easier for me to assign colors to than the others, since I've spent more time with it. I can't distinguish most letters from the other alphabets. However, most Greek letters have similar colors to their shape-counterparts in English. For example, capital gamma is slightly yellowed, while lowercase gamma is dark brown and slightly purple. For context, L is white and y is dark brown. Tau is blue like T (and t, for that matter). Greek letters are also influenced by my physics and math background. So uppercase rho is yellow like P, but lowercase rho stands for density and therefore has a handful of brown and a speck of orange thrown in. Lowercase epsilon is actually yellow-green, possibly because it looks like a backwards 3. Phi and psi are hardest to pin down since we don't have English equivalents. Pi is an interesting case, because if I mean the letter, I get something vaguely yellow green. When I mean the number, I get approximate Christmas colors because 3.14... (green, white, red...). 

Hum. Transliterations will definitely look like a mixture of their constituent parts, so Κυριοσιτιε looks contains some pink, some blue, some black, some yellow, but the color impressions are much weaker than with an English alphabet. An actual translation (περιέργεια, according to Google) has less color, but will take on more character as I get to know it as a concept and a word. For example, the word "conocer" in Spanish means to know (someone) or to be familiar with someone/thing/place. At first, it was pink (two c's) and yellow (n) with some black (r ) thrown in. As the idea changed from just a vocabulary word to specific idea, the color changed to a deep, crazy pink with dark accents as it became more associated with friends than with the grammar (also possibly because the conjugations of conocer include lots of z's in my memory). The word "know" is still pink (like cartoon brains), but "familiar" is yellow and sunny. 

So, to sum up: If I don't have a strong enough association to attach to a word, then the word is relatively colorless. It becomes a black block of minor meaning. (For this reason, the steel alphabet is black to me, even though the words "steel" and "iron" have a lot of meaning and shiny metal sheen as well as a slight blue tint in Allomantic contexts.)

The Unicyclist is a crowd favorite, I think. Definitely one of the funnest to read about. 

It's very interesting to get an outside look at our crazy writing and see that even people who aren't involved in it still enjoy it. Don't worry, it will be destroyed. It may take another year, but it'll happen.  :P

If you could choose one superpower, what would it be?

Ok, I've been busy. I'm back! I would go for the ability to perfectly recall everything I have ever experienced. Yes, there are downsides to this, but I wouldn't forget anything ever. Close runner-ups are space manipulation and phasing through objects. 

Is there a book or series that you absolutely cannot stand? 

I am mostly apathetic towards low-quality stuff like Heroes of Olympus and Divergent (neither of which I finished). The fiction/fantasy books I cannot stand are ones where characters are stupid and don't take obvious choices, but I just want to see how the story ends since I've already read part of the way through. 

Here's the general principle, however: I don't read stuff that I don't like for fun. If I don't like a book within the opening sequence, I don't read it. School requires me to read this stuff. I'd like to call 1984 and The Designated Mourner to the stand as depressing books. I respect the former and despise the latter because of their ideologies. However, I hope I will never have to read and be depressed by either one ever again. 

A interesting case: HIGH SCHOOL MATH TEXTS.  :angry: I really like mathematics. Just yesterday I was reading through an elementary number theory book constructing proofs for fun (it's sort of like my crosswords). Learning principles and generalizations is beautiful. If the material is allowed to be discovered by the student, then the student loves it. If you just plop facts like a spoonful of grey oatmeal into the student's hands, he'll hate it. Then on top of the dull presentation and focus on how to solve a certain kind of problem (not teach general principles that make problems easy :angry:), they pretend like someone actually used the Law of Cosines to figure out where trapeze artists are going to land. "Oh yes! Math can be applied to every area of life!" Don't get me wrong. I think mathematically all the time and am constantly making models to help me understand life. But who else does that? VIRTUALLY NOBODY! Stop trying to be applicable and start inspiring, not force-feeding. No, not everyone falls in love with math like I did. But at least it could stop being a boring mess of disconnected problems that confuse everyone. 

Physics is nice, but has been hijacked by calculus. Now, I recognize that math is understood better with more mathematical understanding, but you don't have to disguise it in complicated symbology for the everyday man. Don't get me wrong: I like physics. But my enjoyment of it is hampered by the fact that few other people (that I know) also enjoy it. 

Favorite branch, eh? Favorites are hard, but since I can (sort of) squish everything into biochemistry, I'll do it. Biochemistry is essentially seeing applications of all branches of science put together to make biological machinery. There are things we don't understand, things we still marvel at, and things we are just beginning to figure out. And it undergirds not just humans, but bacteria, fungi, viruses, frogs, coral, cows, worms, trees, grasses, cacti, planaria, amoebae, and more!

Simply put, it's beautiful. 

(I had a much longer answer, but I accidentally hit the back button and it disappeared and I can't remember all of it.)

Concerning the final question: I might not understand it fully, but I will do my best.

By scientific inquiry, I mean this: the observation of phenomena, the forming of hypotheses, and the testing of the hypotheses by experiment. 

Scientific inquiry is important and essential, but not all encompassing. I can experiment and hypothesize all I want, but eventually, I have to trust someone else that something is true. I have not calculated the universal gravitational constant, nor have I measured the mass of a single hydrogen atom with a mass spectrometer. I trust people that they have calculated these quantities to the best of their abilities. I have never been in a space shuttle to experience near weightlessness, nor have I actually made sure that a photograph of a solar flare is not just an artist's rendering. (*cough*dinosaurs*coughcough*)

I must trust those who have been before me if I want to go beyond our current collective understanding. Granted, one must be picky about who one trusts, but one still must trust them, right? I trust that Rutherford didn't lie to me about alpha particles and gold sheets. I trust the guy who wrote the textbook that told me that. Scientists have to be, to a certain degree, historians, constantly checking their sources and assumptions. They must place their faith in the people before them and in their peers. 

(This is one of the underlying reasons why I believe that faith and reason are not incompatible ideas. You at the very least have to trust your own senses and reasoning to get you somewhere first.) 

Remember, science calculates probabilities that something could happen based on what we have observed. Historians relate what they actually did observe. 

So in conclusion, science has a place in the pursuit of knowledge, but it cannot get us to everywhere. Every individual must have some degree of faith if the whole group is to learn more. 

Edited by Curiosity

I usually just make a conspiracy of the most unlikely event i can think of.

Making random conspiracies about different characters and shows that randomly air on tv is also High in my Conspiracy list.

Have you ever had a song that when played, makes you feel incredible nostalgia towards another time in your life?

Basically all pokemon games do that to me. :(

The music is beautiful.

...Titan: I am indeed a grapheme-color sysnesthete. (I suppose I have made that obvious with some of my other posts here.) Other forms that I am fairly confident that I experience include number form and ordinal linguistic personification. (See here for clarification.) However, I find myself liking the label "ideasthete" more and more, since my impression of my username "Curiosity" is different than my impression of the word for and concept of what killed the cat. The username impression is very similar to the multicolored appearance of Aon Sao, somewhat bubbling and slightly green, slightly purple, with snatches of red and gold thrown in. Curiosity as a word and concept is primarily red, but when used the context of "killing the cat", yellow is thrown into the mix as well (might have originated from a children's book: Kat Kong, anyone?). C is pink/red (not a mixture of paints, more of a fusion, sort of like gummy worms); u, i, and o are all vowels without much color; r is slightly brown (the color isn't strong, but it's not a faded color); s is boringly black, t is a strong blue; y is black with a little brown.  ...

Wow - a fellow grapheme synesthete! I'm more of a classic version, though - each letter and each number has its own color; always has, & no idea where it came from: my childhood ABC book was primary colors. All my number/letter colors are from Crayola's box of 48, which we never had when I was little (& dinosaurs roamed the earth) because they were too expensive for us. I memorize names by the color of people's initials, same with addresses/phone numbers, etc. Very handy when I was in school.

For me, "Curiosity" is pink--raw umber--burnt sienna--silver--white--red--silver--black--olive green.

I see that I need to ask a question: When you are working, do you listen to music with or without lyrics? and what music helps you most when doing mentally challenging work? [For me, it's the POTC soundtracks and Devo's "Easy Listening" album.]

• 3 weeks later...

So in conclusion, science has a place in the pursuit of knowledge, but it cannot get us to everywhere. Every individual must have some degree of faith if the whole group is to learn more. 

I read an interesting article the other day on how both science and religion rely on faith, and both have concepts that are taken as dogma that started out as an idea rather than actual truth, but people assume that they are cannon/proved. It was very interesting, and showed that science and religion are a lot closer than most people would like to admit.

I am mostly apathetic towards low-quality stuff like Heroes of Olympus and Divergent (neither of which I finished).

I haven't read Divergent, but I did suffer my way through Heroes of Olympus. It was bad. I liked the Percy Jackson series, but everything Riordan has done after that has been slight variations on a theme, but not nearly as funny and with random poorly written romance sections that are a waste of space. I'm mad, because he is now doing a Scandanavian mythology series, and now every pre-teen, wannabe nerd, and fanboy/girl will suddenly consider themselves experts on what I have been into since fourth grade.

That being said, if you like the general modern myth premise, Loki's Wolves was pretty good (I can't remember the series name at the moment).

Sermon over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

What's your favourite mythology?

What is the extent of your knowledge of bleach related injuries?

Where is my brother right now?

Edited by Gargoyle

Wow - a fellow grapheme synesthete! I'm more of a classic version, though - each letter and each number has its own color; always has, & no idea where it came from: my childhood ABC book was primary colors. All my number/letter colors are from Crayola's box of 48, which we never had when I was little (& dinosaurs roamed the earth) because they were too expensive for us. I memorize names by the color of people's initials, same with addresses/phone numbers, etc. Very handy when I was in school.

For me, "Curiosity" is pink--raw umber--burnt sienna--silver--white--red--silver--black--olive green.

I see that I need to ask a question: When you are working, do you listen to music with or without lyrics? and what music helps you most when doing mentally challenging work? [For me, it's the POTC soundtracks and Devo's "Easy Listening" album.]

Sorry! I was pretty sure I answered you already. 

While, say, cleaning up the house, music can be a good thing. I don't mind lyrics in my music, but most of the time I find that I have to sit down and really listen before I catch the lyrics and can appreciate them. Because of this, I tend to avoid lyrics unless I have the time to digest them, since I don't want unsavory or empty words and messages zipping through my head all the time. My music of choice: Movie scores (my collection of these is rather small because I tend to be bored by the scores from movies that I haven't seen). 

While working on mentally challenging work, I find that music becomes a distraction. If there is music, it cannot have a narrative structure or interesting flavor to it. Although Hans Zimmer has some really good music, most of the interesting points are subtle enough that I won't notice them, so usually Inception or the Dark Knight trilogy is my go-to for studying and writing (though math homework, if not too abstract, can be done to any accompaniment). Classical guitar is also fantastic study music. 

A question that I'm curious about: Do you ever see shapes or colors when you listen to music? What's your preferred genre? (I rather like the POTC scores, but I'm not too attached to them as a whole, since I only saw the first movie. But The Kraken is super fun to listen to.)

Questions:

What's your favourite mythology?

What is the extent of your knowledge of bleach related injuries?

Where is my brother right now?

Amen to the sermon. 

Mythology? I'm most familiar with Greco-Roman, followed by Norse. Everything else after that is vague associations: Mesopotamian, Egyptian (Riordan messed up what I thought I knew about that) and smatterings of Mayan/Aztec. None holds a special place in my heart, though I do enjoy seeing how each culture takes similar elements I suppose I'm most fond of the mythologies that I have half-made up over the years.

[random_worldbuilding]

A group of men, entrusted with power over different aspects of the world, become corrupt and divided. I wanted to tell a prequel to the story of how these Stewards (seen as gods of Platonic elements) were replaced by a new order of more abstractly based Stewards (Perhaps fundamental forces or virtues or some combination of the two). Yeah, there's a prequel there. Somehow involving the question theme of how to be at peace while not understanding everything. I also wanted Fate to be a freckled, red-headed ten year-old. 

[/random_worldbuilding]

Um... Bleach... Depends on how concentrated the solution is. Most household dilutions should be rinsed off of skin. If it gets in your eyes, rinse out under running water for 15 minutes. If swallowed... I guess I would drink a glass of milk and call poison control. Yay. Sodium hypochlorite. 

Re: Your brother

My guess? Where I'd last expect him.

I would guess that you are a mythology buff. Do you have a favorite lore? What's your favorite lore that comes from a fictional world? Are you interested in any other aspects of historical anthropology? (Not sure if that is where mythology belongs academically, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are you a morning or a night person?

When meeting someone for the first time, after basic introductions, what question do you normally ask first?

What is your favorite non fiction book? or author.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is a necro, but I realized that I had not answered this and I feel bound to do so. I essentially made a promise in the OP and I don't think I've kept it very well. Special apologies to you, Scott.

Definitely a morning person. I can do much more in the morning than in the late night. The quality of the work I do after 10PM is highly suspect. 

The first question I ask is highly context dependent. For example, if I'm meeting someone in college, then I'll ask what their major is and work my way from there to more interesting territory. Sometimes small talk is necessary to dig into an interesting conversation. I don't have a consistent plan, since every situation and person is different.

Non-fiction book? The Bible. Another great one is How to Read a Book, by Mortimer J. Adler. I think that both of these books hold quite a bit of wisdom that isn't necessarily widely held right now. 

@Scott: 

If you're doing homework, morning or evening? How many quesadillas do you consume in an average week? And what's your preferred method of getting to know someone? If conversation, where and when?