Tor Releases the Prologue for Shadows of Self

Argent

Then we should suspect Threnody instead!

Also, Wax totally just scared off a bunch of armed thugs by posing like an idiot. I guess having a thing worked out.

Doing the thing has never been funnier.

Edited by natc

I really liked it. I know some of you had issues with the humor, but it's important to remember that in AoL, Wax is, well, old and has been through some terrible things, so yeah I imagine his demeanor would change over time. I think it makes sense that he would crack jokes like that, but that's just me.

And yeah, when I got to the giraffes, I had to reread that sentence a couple of times to make sure I read it right. :D 

It also took me a while (longer than I'd like to admit) to realize that it took place only a year after Wax left to the Roughs, but I thought it was super funny to watch him awkwardly try to be some super cool bounty hunter when really he was just being a dork, but I guess the pose worked at the end.

The only error that really stopped me in my reading:

"'Just stay with the horses. And try not to talk to anyone.' Waxillium shook his head, pushing into the saloon, feeling an odd spring to his step. He was filling his metalmind a smidge, decreasing his weight by about ten percent. Common practice for him these days, ever since he’d run out of stored weight during one of his first bounty hunts a few months back."

That spring in his step would no longer be an "odd" feeling if he's been regularly storing for the past several months.

I wondered if there were a few Easter Eggs in this for Sanderfans?

Like using "god beyond", referencing Threnody. I also wondered about the significance of the empty room with the pair of boots and wondered if it was a playful reference to Shallan stealing Kaladin's boots in SA?

I don't know if I'm reading too much into it though! Anyone spot any other cross-cosmere references?

Took me a moment to realize we're in the past here, but after that everything was fun :) I didn't find the humor forced or anything. Wax was young, full of hopes and plans for fixing the Roughs and most of all he didn't experience years of fighting crimes, killing people, failing to save others and most of all he didn't kill Lessie. 

And honestly, I wasn't that shocked about giraffes or lions. We already knew that Scadrial is very earth-like so a giraffe or two is not a big deal for me  B)

Took me a moment to realize we're in the past here, but after that everything was fun :) I didn't find the humor forced or anything. Wax was young, full of hopes and plans for fixing the Roughs and most of all he didn't experience years of fighting crimes, killing people, failing to save others and most of all he didn't kill Lessie.

And honestly, I wasn't that shocked about giraffes or lions. We already knew that Scadrial is very earth-like so a giraffe or two is not a big deal for me B)

No, we all knew it had mostly Earth-like creatures. Giraffes are expected. What shocked us is that a giraffe appears here of all places. The place that so far always sounded like a town out of an old western complete with saloons, gunfights, and that one lawman that just has to be where he shouldn't be. Evokes desert imagery. THAT place is actually anAfrican savannah. That's what's shocking.

I really liked it. I know some of you had issues with the humor, but it's important to remember that in AoL, Wax is, well, old and has been through some terrible things, so yeah I imagine his demeanor would change over time. I think it makes sense that he would crack jokes like that, but that's just me.

I wouldn't say that he's "old" (he's only 42/43), though, I guess that makes him relatively old in protagonist land...(but I wouldn't expect someone to get back to their past self either after losing their spouse...) He also matured, middle-aged, etc.

Wax explained/mentioned this in AoL (60, hardcover; where Wax and Wayne are discussing Wayne trading things the first time):

"My humor isn't lost, Wayne," Waxillium said, "just strained. What I told you was true, and this bullet doesn't change anything."

Also, Wax is a bit more..."humorous" in the prologue before Lessie gets shot. When she was killed, his sense of humor went with her (to an extent...).

i wonder about vayne. in AoL, vayne claimed that he was a small criminal, he accidentally killed a guy during a robbery, was sentenced to death, and wax decided instead to put him on a rehabilitation program. Now, I don't have my copy of AoL here, but I remember that Vayne ony met wax after the latter became sheriff of wheatering, which hasn't happened yet in the prologue. how do the two things  reconcile?

He then winds up the best of the best, and all this urging to improve his shooting skills got to the point where he can hit bullets out of the air and into someone at an angle with a second bullet.

Determined guy.

i wonder about vayne. in AoL, vayne claimed that he was a small criminal, he accidentally killed a guy during a robbery, was sentenced to death, and wax decided instead to put him on a rehabilitation program. Now, I don't have my copy of AoL here, but I remember that Vayne ony met wax after the latter became sheriff of wheatering, which hasn't happened yet in the prologue. how do the two things  reconcile?

It's Wayne, actually. :)

I don't think the timeline on that was ever stated in AoL.  This actually makes more sense; if Wax was roaming around after bounties his first few years, he's a lot more likely to have stumbled onto Wayne's trial.  Weathering is a long, long way from Far Dorest.

Personally, I'm really latching onto Lessie in this. She seems almost too contrived -- and in Sanderson, that doesn't mean she's not well written, that means you need to be suspicious. With people picking out the fact she mentions the God Beyond, I'm starting to wonder if there's a lot more going on that meets the eye. 

Also, Wax can only push in a general direction with his metal lines, as we can see when he tries to push their aim off but throws his own gun away in the process.We've never really seen inexperienced Coinshots with their abilities, so I guess with more experience comes more precision? Or am I just being silly and have they ever only been able to push in a general direction -- never being able to single out which line in particular to push on  :D

Yeah, that's another thing I picked up on. Present Wax is one of the best coinshots depicted so far, being able to control the push enough to hold something against a table without pushing the table away. Most people can't maintain or precisely control push intensity, IIRC. Even for breaking falls coinshots usually use multiple strong pushes instead of controlled deceleration.

Past Wax is like, absolutely terrible at every skill he ends up being infamously good at. It's hilarious.

The only error that really stopped me in my reading:

"'Just stay with the horses. And try not to talk to anyone.' Waxillium shook his head, pushing into the saloon, feeling an odd spring to his step. He was filling his metalmind a smidge, decreasing his weight by about ten percent. Common practice for him these days, ever since he’d run out of stored weight during one of his first bounty hunts a few months back."

That spring in his step would no longer be an "odd" feeling if he's been regularly storing for the past several months.

I should have read through this thread earlier, so I could have told Tor earlier that they were using the wrong version of the text and to please update it to fix those errors that were already changed in the latest text.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank the God Beyond people started posting about this in the meme thread because I totally missed this. Took me a while to figure out this was in the past too. I was thinking he went back to the Roughs after AoL. One thing I was surprised (not offended in the least though) was there was a little raciness. Now to read chapter 1 and 2!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic