Favorite Stormlight Archive Scene?

SingTheSorrow

Hello everyone! 

As I patiently await the next Stormlight book I spend a lot of time thinking back on how awesome the series has been thus far. There were so many good scenes!

One that has stood out to me though since the moment I read it is the scene where Kaladin meets Wit/Hoid. I think that it was SO vivid, the way Sanderson wrote it with the smoke and the way that the music echoed in the chasms. I also thought the story Wit told was intriguing and was a cool way to have Kaladin change his frame of mind and snap out of his slump. 

Would love to hear other people's favorite moments and reminisce on these great books! 

My personal favorites in WoR:

1) Shallan taking over the caranaver and finally asserting herself. I was worried early on in WoR I would be reading about Shallan not doing anything to help herself. It was a pleasant surprise to see her story take a different turn.

2) Kaladin goes horse ridding. I loved this one and I truly laugh at it.

3) Adolin realizing he does not have any friends. This may not seem like a significant scene, but this is when I started rooting for him as I emphasize so much with his pain as I have too often felt the same.

4) Adolin and Shallan's first date. I laugh my head out over them and days later, I was still laughing out loud.

5) The 4 on 1 duel. For all book, I had a feeling of impeding doom for Adolin and his dueling spree. I was not surprised to see it turn sour, but I truly felt for Adolin, for a second, I thought he was a goner.

6) Kaladin stepping in to help Adolin. All the while I read the scene, I was rooting so hard for Kaladin to jump in, so when he finally did, I was nearly jumping in my living room.

Part 3 as a whole was ma favorite, mostly because it had the most Adolin in, but I also thought it was a well rounded part which a true cliffhanger and a denouement. I also love each and every single scene with both Adolin and Kaladin. Their endless banter made me laugh and I thought they made a good team.

7) The last fight on the Plateau: Adolin losing the Thrill and dropping his Blade, Adolin and Dalinar trying to fight Szeth, Adolin being beaten out by Szeth, Kaladin coming to the rescue at the last possible moment, Kaladin finally taking his revenge on Szeth and Shallan hugging injured Adolin at the end, forgetting for the split of a second her task of unlocking the Oathgate.

As if you couldn't tell by my signature but..... the part where Kaladin and Shallan are trapped in the Chasms and Kaladin finally realizes all the pain that Shallan has been through. The emotions that Sanderson portrayed in those scenes really gave me the feels! 

Another one was the scene when Amaram is finally shown as who he really is in front of Dalinar, Kaladin, and the rest of Bridge Four. I was literally yelling out loud, "YES! It's about dang time!!!" 

As if you couldn't tell by my signature but..... the part where Kaladin and Shallan are trapped in the Chasms and Kaladin finally realizes all the pain that Shallan has been through. The emotions that Sanderson portrayed in those scenes really gave me the feels!

This!! Such a great scene, the whole conversation and then when they ride out the high storm, just phenomenal emotional conveyance by Sanderson.

I also loved the scene where Amaram gets called out, such a great feeling of justice!

On a more simple note I love the scene when Kaladin and Bridge Four continue to eat stew outside once they are in Dalinar's camp :) and when they go out drinking the one time. Builds the feeling of comraderie and makes me feel like they're really friends.

Also loved the whole scene where Dalinar and Adolin fight to survive after Sadeas betrays them. I love the emotion and tension and then how Kaladin and the bridge crew abandon their mistrust of lighteyes to act with total honor. It was so epic and adding Eshonia to the mix made it even cooler.

Edited by SingTheSorrow

Here's my favorite:

"Meanwhile, Lopen and the other Herdazians were back at camp pumping some iron and getting a glorious sweat-sheen swole worked up. As Lopen counted his 18th one-armed pull-up, he couldn't help but sense something was amis. 'Hey cuz!' He yelled to one of his companions. 'I'm gettin the feeling that something ain't right with gon. He's up at the king's palace and I'm thinkin we should go check up on him.' As he dropped his muscular bod from the pull-up bar, his sense of foreboding grew suddenly. 'Cmon guys! No time to put our shirts back on, we gotta go pronto!' With that, the glistening troop of Herdazians rushed off. Barely panting, due to their incredibly conditioned physical conditions, the group neared the palace. They could hear shouts from within. 'I knew something was up' said Lopen. 'Onward!' With that, they stormed in to the castle and followed the sounds of a fray. Finally, they arrived at a terrible scene: a figure in flowing white garb with a shardblade was amidst a fight with Kaladin, Dalinar and Adolin. Lopen stood, frozen for a split second. Quickly, he began to sprint down the hall, he knew what to do. He gracefully bounded through the air with a mighty shout, each rippling muscle right beneath his glistening skin showing every sinew of muscle. 'This is Herdaz!!' He shouted as he threw a muscular leg at the assassin who was just about to swing his blade down on Dalinar. With a sickening crunching sound, the assassin in white screamed and flew backwards, thrown by the hulking physique of the one-armed stud. He plummeted out the odd hole that had been cut into the wall and was never sseen again. 'Lopen!' Said Kaladin in surprise. 'You're a hero!!' Said Dalinar. Dazed, he got to his feet. 'That, that was incredible' he said, obviously distracted by the troop of glistening, muscular Herdazians before him. 'No need to thank me gon' replied Lopen, 'just doing what a one-armed Herdazian can.'

That scene just really got to me. Inspired me to lay off the chouda and get myself in shape. I owe the fact that I became the Hot Herdazian to that scene. Truly inspirational.

Edited by HotHerdazian

Saw this topic, came here to say this.

Very few things that anyone has written, ever, (that I have read) have resonated as strongly and truthfully as those few sentences.

The entire chasm scene was great, and imo, some of Sanderson's best work.  I have read the scene many times more than I have read the novel itself.  It's actually a pretty amazing work, because the chasm scene works well as an isolated short story, as well as fitting an integral part of the overal novel, and also a section of it that you can cut off entirely and use as a very effective piece of flash fic.  It is also, perhaps, most striking to me because Kaladin really, really annoys me in WoR, but the chasm scene would only be substantially weaker without him, if it were a different character (although I think that Shallan/Lopen in the chasm would have been wondrous in a completely different way.)

Yes, there are just so many of them.. Kaladin realizing that he is a Knights Radiant, Adolin and Kaladin fighting against the four shardbearers, Dalinar exposing Amaram and also the incredible talk between Dalinar and the Stormfather at the end..

Dalinar acting with honour, and honour assisting him back. Or, when Kaladin and Bridge Four went to the Kholin army's rescue at the end of Way of Kings.

For sheer imagery, the aftermath of that fight. Sadeas in his red Plate, Dalinar in his grey, with Oathbringer drove into the centra of the Justice glyph.

Kaladin finally swearing the third ideal, and Moash filling his Shardplate.

"Oh, that's right. You'll probably want me to be a spear instead."

Kaladin flying over the shattered plains with the windspren.

Practically anything Lopen is involved in.

Practically anything Rock is involved in.

The Whitespine Uncaged. The entire chapter.

Oh, Storm it... The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

For me, I get really exited when ends meet. So basically, any scene where characters finally meet or get to know each other. Kaladin saving Dalinar's army, the "ho! bridge boy" encounter, Amaram coming to camp (that actually made me more apprehensive than excited), like every one else is saying: the chasms scenes, Szeth attacking Dalinar and failing because of our favorite wind runner, and of course: boots. Boots, for me though, was more then just a side splitter (though it was that too). I had been waiting for Kaladin and Shallan to meet ever since I saw their very first POVs and Sanderson made their meeting better than I had ever imagined it too be.

There are so many - some of which have already been referenced, like the chasm scene and Kaladin joining Adolin's duel. This one stood out to me too:

Kaladin picking up a spear in the chasms and performing a kata with it. I love the different effect it has on the various bridgemen and Kaladin's internal monologue as he runs through the moves.

"Meanwhile, Lopen and the other Herdazians were back at camp pumping some iron and getting a glorious sweat-sheen swole worked up. As Lopen counted his 18th one-armed pull-up, he couldn't help but sense something was amis. 'Hey cuz!' He yelled to one of his companions. 'I'm gettin the feeling that something ain't right with gon. He's up at the king's palace and I'm thinkin we should go check up on him.' As he dropped his muscular bod from the pull-up bar, his sense of foreboding grew suddenly. 'Cmon guys! No time to put our shirts back on, we gotta go pronto!' With that, the glistening troop of Herdazians rushed off. Barely panting, due to their incredibly conditioned physical conditions, the group neared the palace. They could hear shouts from within. 'I knew something was up' said Lopen. 'Onward!' With that, they stormed in to the castle and followed the sounds of a fray. Finally, they arrived at a terrible scene: a figure in flowing white garb with a shardblade was amidst a fight with Kaladin, Dalinar and Adolin. Lopen stood, frozen for a split second. Quickly, he began to sprint down the hall, he knew what to do. He gracefully bounded through the air with a mighty shout, each rippling muscle right beneath his glistening skin showing every sinew of muscle. 'This is Herdaz!!' He shouted as he threw a muscular leg at the assassin who was just about to swing his blade down on Dalinar. With a sickening crunching sound, the assassin in white screamed and flew backwards, thrown by the hulking physique of the one-armed stud. He plummeted out the odd hole that had been cut into the wall and was never sseen again. 'Lopen!' Said Kaladin in surprise. 'You're a hero!!' Said Dalinar. Dazed, he got to his feet. 'That, that was incredible' he said, obviously distracted by the troop of glistening, muscular Herdazians before him. 'No need to thank me gon' replied Lopen, 'just doing what a one-armed Herdazian can.'

ney8p.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

anyway...

For comic relief: certainly when Hoid is randomly driving Adolin's carriage and several plot points converge

For coolness: when Shallan is discovering the cryptics lurking in her sketches

For abject awe: the 4:1 duel - ALL OF IT

My desperate attempt to single out one scene amongst perfection. I'd have to go with Kaladin's arrival at the final battle on the shattered plains. This one really resonated with me, I think it's what the word choice implies given the context of Alethi society.

"His eyes afire with a light that somehow made the assassins seem dull by comparison, he wore the uniform of a bridgeman, and bore the glyphs of slavery on his forehead."

"To kill the wind" takes the cake as far as whole chapters go. Brandon is so good at manipulating the reader that it can be frightening. I spent that whole chapter pacing my living room fist-pumping the sky waiting for Kaladin to explode with light and wreck everyone.

I had my own head-cannon going for how it would happen, basically the showdown with Moash but with Adolin as the one in need. I partially predicted the oath, oh man I thought I had it all figured out. I was wrong. And I was emotionally devastated when it ended the way it did. To me, the ability to stimulate such strong emotions has always been the hallmark of great writing. So there's my up of the hat to Brandon for the ruthless gut punch being so well delivered.

Cheers!

ney8p.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

anyway...

For comic relief: certainly when Hoid is randomly driving Adolin's carriage and several plot points converge

For coolness: when Shallan is discovering the cryptics lurking in her sketches

For abject awe: the 4:1 duel - ALL OF IT

I literally bursted out laughing when I saw this.

On Topic:

I can't believe nobody said this yet: When Syl goes shardspear. 

the part where Kaladin and Shallan are trapped in the Chasms and Kaladin finally realizes all the pain that Shallan has been through. The emotions that Sanderson portrayed in those scenes really gave me the feels! 

Yes, this entire sequence... I joined the forum just to say it, and am pleased to see how many people agree.

I like these two -- from their banter when the meet in the woods, to their banter when they run into each other outside the meeting hall.  It is a fantastic back and forth that starts with tension and anger and dislike, and eventually breaks into understanding and honesty.  He wrote it brilliantly, and it was so unexpectedly fulfilling.

I also liked the few random lines he injected later on, showing how much those events touched the characters as well... when Shallon is considering the things she likes in Adelin and suddenly seems to trip into thinking about Kaladin.  For characters that have spent two books hiding who they really are, it was great to see them finally break free, and to each other no less.  It was all very touching, and done with just the right amount of delicacy.