So does that mean that at the end of the cycle the forged-Arbiter reverts back to his old faction? Or does he stay with his new faction?

First, noted. I've changed the bit about the Bureaucrat Essence Mark to reflect that. Thank you for catching it :)

Second, no, the Arbiter does not. Once the Arbiter's role reverts, the incorruptibility now applies to his new Faction.

Edit: Major announcement!

I've reconsidered the docs issue after some discussion with Wilson and Wyrm. Here's how things are now going to work. (I will update the rules post in a bit to reflect this.)

1. All players need to privately PM me the email address attached to the Google Account they wish to use to play this game. While I've been trying to avoid the original Google Account set-up of MR1, I think this cannot be helped. (This would get rid of the issue with link-sharing, too.) Upon my honour, I promise that I will not do anything untoward with the email addresses, such as sacrificing them to Babaji for some vashikaran ritual :ph34r: If you are uncomfortable giving me a personal email address, then please create a throwaway Google Account that you will be using to play this game. :)

2. You will still be getting a new Faction doc every cycle. And the rules about not copying and pasting content from past cycle docs to another doc are still in force. (Except in the noted exception of the Discovery Faction.)

3. Since access is now locked via Google Docs, I will be leaving the Faction docs of previous cycles up, and set to 'View only.'

Thank you, and I apologise for the change. I'd hoped to make things work without Google Accounts, but alas, it is not to be.  :)

Edited by Kasimir

First, noted. I've changed the bit about the Bureaucrat Essence Mark to reflect that. Thank you for catching it :)

Second, no, the Arbiter does not. Once the Arbiter's role reverts, the incorruptibility now applies to his new Faction.

And you switched back to real Kas!!!

If I have the description of 'Slayer of the Fourth Wall' for my character, I'll have to keep re-using the joke until it gets old. I'd like to change my character name to Baatar Zaofu; the extra A makes a world of difference. I can deal with the title for now.

I might be offline for the first two cycles, though I'm not entirely certain. I'm saying this now so that I don't get lynched during them before I'm even active in the game; you can check when I was last online from my profile.

Just a few gentle reminders:

1. I'd like to remind those who haven't yet PMed me the Google Account they will be using for this game to do so. I will always reply to acknowledge receipt, so if you haven't received a reply, please prod me again. I might've missed that PM, for one reason or another. Without the account, you will not be able to access your Faction doc, so this is of middling importance.

2. Thank you and welcome to those who have signed up! :) This announcement is especially for those who haven't played MR1 before. I'd recommend taking a careful look at the rules, because this game is a reboot of MR1. As a result, it diverges from traditional Sanderson Elimination rules at some points, including a less informative write-up and the fact that the only votes I will be counting are those sent to me (like actions) in the role PM.

3. Note that while my first preference is for rule clarifications to be posed to me via PM rather than in-doc or in-thread, I will also post the anonymised questions and answer on the thread itself, for everyone to check up on.

4. Having said that, I've been asked in a PM what my threshold for a 4-faction game is. At anywhere between 24-28 players, I will run a 4-faction game instead of the current 3-faction set-up. So any lurkers who are still trying to decide, you may want to take that into consideration :P

So that looks to me like we just got to 4 factions?

Put it this way: I gave a range for a reason, that being of balance. 24 is therefore the bare minimum required for a fair distribution between 4 factions. That being said, for other considerations of balance, I might still go with a 3-faction set-up.

Ideally at this point, I'd like 1-2 more players before saying for certain that it will be 4-faction. (And of course, more are always welcome ;) )

I will be joining this game as Ynla Ka.

He is an old man who uses a sword as a cane. He claims that he is actually only 30 years old and was a great warrior until an evil Forger used her powers to turn him into a crippled old man. As such he still acts like a young man which leads to him being injured almost constantly. He also apparently has a very poor understanding about how forgery works.

I'll sign up as Slave, a poor boy, who knows no other name, and carried bridges for the first 16 years of his life before running away and being taken in by a kindly old arbiter, who then died the next week. Slave, not knowing what else to do, runs all the errands that his master used to need, does all the paperwork that he used to need to do, puts perfumes on the dead body in the closet every day to keep people from noticing the stink, and in general, pretends that his master is merely sick, and is still up and running. But he's not. Poor, poor, Slave.

Edit: Looked at main post. Looked up Sartrean bad faith. Laughed. Posted summary here for you guys. "The phenomenon where a human being under pressure from societal forces adopts false values and disowns their innate freedom hence acting in-authentically."

Yes to this, and kudos to Kasimir for knowing what in the world that was.

Edited by Bridge Boy