Emoticons

Haelbarde

Hey there o/

Dunno if you can tell, but upon occasion, I have dabbled with digital art. 

Now, a particular area of interest of mine is pixel/emoticons. I shared a bunch over here awhile back.
I've done a few more since then: Chaos.GIF.1413a8f4e295b6e2ba57f0bf1b71bf11.GIF595c5312c9432_New20Year202015.GIF.06974d16d824d4845897dbf184016d5c.GIFCat.GIF.4d4d55c3e141228574e9d54ac0366b68.GIFGingerCat.GIF.96b6722d2c5243e6c5f4cc8315b73e0b.GIFOctopus.PNG.e67a5ca221500a27623a2e65c8da16e6.PNG595c53162538a_Cake20Small.GIF.42ca60ef054d29edda70a84f6a16e6b7.GIFCakeSlice.PNG.5c64bc955abfb82b7e4cfaa9d13c828b.PNGFatCuteCatAnimBig.GIF.e5a3a69027182c476e9525347072dcf1.GIF

Now the last one I made ( evilgrin.png) is what leads me to this topic.

What I was thinking of doing, is trying to make an extended set of emoticons that could be potentially added to the forum to deal with more of the various smilies people you around the forum. That last one would work as a nice replacement for
>

So my question for you is:

What smilies should I make emotes to replace?

Bonus points if you give me a suggestion for how it could look.

EDIT: By which I'm asking, 'What smilies do people use that you'd rather were auto-replaced with emotes'.

As in how

gets replaced with :). For example, I would use >: D, o/ or \o/ upon occasion

Edit: Current list:
O-O.pngWS.gifAoL.gifWoR.gifWoK.gifWarbreaker.gifLegion.gifSteelheart.gifElantris.gifwinktongue.pngsuspicious.pngraisedeyebrow.pngevilgrin.pngevilbiggrin.pngcrying.pngvampire.pngXD.pngdiceroll-1.gif

Edited by Haelbarde

That angry one is one I've wanted often. XD would be nice too. 

How do these look: XD%20joined.png XD.png

Which one works better?

What if we make an emoticon.

About BRANDON SANDERSON???

This could be a good start: Typewriter.gif (typewriter)

Edited by Haelbarde

Honestly, it took me a second to notice the difference, but I'd say the one on the right.

My sister agreed with you that that was the better, but suggested I move the right eye another pixel over (to make it symmetrical), so have a third variant: XD-2p.png.

If you wanted to use these, you could copy the link, and use when you post (or you could save the file, then attach it to a post, then it'd appear under 'My Media' as an attachment). Otherwise, I'll try convince Chaos to add these for everyone.

I talked with Chaos once very briefly about adding some inquisitor-emoticons to the site, like the ones in my sig (click the spoiler tags). He said he would want something in the style of the site's current emoticons, and that's about where the conversation died. Having all the Allomantic symbols in my sig as emoticons would be awesome, too. I can't take credit for those though- I believe it was Claincy who came up with them.

As far as more traditional emoticons go, I would love something to replace :\ and -__-

EDIT: Belated update:

I should note that at steelministry.com (where all of the emoticons in my sig came from) we use 3:( and 3:D for the angry and happy inquisiticons, respectively.

Edited by Herowannabe

I talked with Chaos once very briefly about adding some inquisitor-emoticons to the site, like the ones in my sig (click the spoiler tags). He said he would want something in the style of the site's current emoticons, and that's about where the conversation died. Having all the Allomantic symbols in my sig as emoticons would be awesome, too. I can't take credit for those though- I believe it was Claincy who came up with them.

I made the font, but I didn't add the emoticons to steelministry so I don't know if that's where tec got the images for them.

I made the font, but I didn't add the emoticons to steelministry so I don't know if that's where tec got the images for them.

Actually, reading this triggered my memory. Yes, I WAS the one who did the allomancy emoticons :lol: As I recall, I grabbed screenshots from the PDF of the Mistborn Adventure Game manual and then condensed them down to emoticon size.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I was going to completly redo all the emoticons (Brandonify all the standard emotes, and all that), then vector graphics is probably the way to go. But I'm pretty sure that the low-res emotes on the site aren't just scalled down versions of the HD ones. The HD ones look like they could have been made as vector graphics, I suppose. But I digress. For the most part, the ones I've made have been made by basically taking elements from a couple of the existing emotes, sticking them together, and then doing some pixel edits as necessary. And I've got things like a blank circle emote template, or a template project for the annimated book ones now. 

Plus, I'm not sure if the forum is designed to use vector graphics. A question for Chaos, I think. I mean, if it did support vector graphics, then I'd be open to converting the current ones into vector format. 

Hmm... Now brandonifying the emotes would be cool... I'd need some suggestions for what to do with each emote, I think...

15 minutes ago, CarolaDavar said:

O.O Okay. wow. fast. efficient. How about the one i just used? O.O (That would be fun!)

winktongue@2x.pngwinktongue.png 
A bit longer than 5 minutes, sorry. And I'm not super happy with it. I think it needs eyebrows...

And I'll see what I can do. What do you use that to mean? Because there is this one built in: :blink:

Edited by Haelbarde

Just now, Arraenae said:

I think O.O, o.o, and :blink: all have slightly different meanings.

O.O Major shock, as in "WHAAAAAT"?

o.o Minor shock, as in "what?"

O.o Skeptism.

:blink: Skeptism, same as O.o, but O.o doesn't convert automatically to this.

:blink::huh: Are ;blink; and ;huh; using colons instead of semicolons. I believe Chaos is open to changing them to O.o and o.O, but I think he's busy atm...

I'll see what I can do.