Fractured States of America Map of Epics

Blackhoof

Hello Sharders! I made a map of the distribution of Epics across the United States, working on average. This uses the Brandon-supplied ratio of 1:10'000 Epics at the beginning, and my own surmised ratio of 1:100 High Epic/Epic ratio

Map%20of%20FSA%20Epics_zpszh8mypyd.gif?t

Its spoilered because it is a bit big

Some interesting results, now that one can see the map and the numbers laid out like this.

In regards to Newcago (with 1000 Epics and 10-15 High Epics) it seems like it simply has all the Epics in Illinois, minus a few that were killed in turf wars and the Collapse before Steelheart solidified his control over Newcago.

Alaska seems to have statistically between 1 and no High Epics at all, so Khione must be the only one  :P

California is swimming in Epics though! 3880! and 38 Highs! 

Edited by Blackhoof

Exactly. California has probably been throughly destroyed from all the Epics fighting over it. The main cities, at least.

Same with Texas, and Florida. Florida especially is quite cramped given its small size.

Edited by Blackhoof

Exactly. California has probably been throughly destroyed from all the Epics fighting over it. The main cities, at least.

There are probably a few that remained standing long enough for Obliteration to find them, but I think those would be like Newcago—rare bastions of civilization with long stretches of wasteland in between. Arizona might be nearly deserted, what with non-Epics fleeing the harsh conditions at the first sign of trouble, Epics following because there was no one to rule, and a few tough stragglers coming in after the mass exodus to eke out a living in the desert. But so far as California goes, I think there were quite a few Epics who left when they saw how crowded the state was. :P 

There are probably a few that remained standing long enough for Obliteration to find them, but I think those would be like Newcago—rare bastions of civilization with long stretches of wasteland in between. Arizona might be nearly deserted, what with non-Epics fleeing the harsh conditions at the first sign of trouble, Epics following because there was no one to rule, and a few tough stragglers coming in after the mass exodus to eke out a living in the desert. But so far as California goes, I think there were quite a few Epics who left when they saw how crowded the state was. :P

well Obliteration did blow up San Diego after all. But SD has a pop of 1 million, which means about 100 Epics and 1 High Epic (maybe Endless Dreams?) compared with the rest of Cali with a population of nearly 39 million (literally nearly twice the population of Australia XD)

So San Diego at least was still together enough for him to bother blowing it up, even if that is only a fraction of the population and Epics in the state.

yeah exactly, some states and areas are probably completely deserted. Without modern technology it would be hard to make even a base living out there, despite the lack of Epics.

well Obliteration did blow up San Diego after all. But SD has a pop of 1 million, which means about 100 Epics and 1 High Epic (maybe Endless Dreams?) compared with the rest of Cali with a population of nearly 39 million (literally nearly twice the population of Australia XD)

So San Diego at least was still together enough for him to bother blowing it up, even if that is only a fraction of the population and Epics in the state.

yeah exactly, some states and areas are probably completely deserted. Without modern technology it would be hard to make even a base living out there, despite the lack of Epics.

I thought he blew up Houston?

Houston first, but San Diego and Albuquerque (I believe) were also named as cities he destroyed.

Ah, I knew he blew up some, but did not know which.

Hawii might be the nicest state to live in now. Only one High Epic and they are waterlocked? Does not seem too bad.

Ah, I knew he blew up some, but did not know which.

Hawii might be the nicest state to live in now. Only one High Epic and they are waterlocked? Does not seem too bad.

Unless that High Epic is as big a fan of Spam as the rest of Hawaii, refuses to let anyone eat anything else, and drowns anyone who dares break the monotony with toast. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing that i was considering is the rate at which Epics appeared.

31'800 Epics across the first year of manifestations divided by 365 works out to be an average of 87 new Epics a day! Wow!

Now, I really doubt that it was actually this- it would have started out low and gotten higher and higher numbers per day imo. But still, that means that (assuming an even progression) the first 6 months manifested less Epics thsn that, and the second manifested more. Imagine even 10 Rendings in a single day. The news and country would go berserk. Even 10 mass shootings in a day would be unbelievably tragic and unusual. Imagine the media even trying to keep up.

"This just in, a Boston neighbourhood has been destroyed in a massive fire, and police suspect an arsonist is- oh wait, breaking news, an earthquake has just struck Austin! The devastation is immense, the death toll is already estimated in the hundreds, perhaps- oh, this just in! A woman has gone on a shooting spree in New Jersey, details are unclear at the moment but witnesses describe loud bangs and have been unable to identify what weapons she might be using."

The chaos would be incredible.

Then imagine a hundred, two hundred a day. Crazy.

Another thing that i was considering is the rate at which Epics appeared.

31'800 Epics across the first year of manifestations divided by 365 works out to be an average of 87 new Epics a day! Wow!

Now, I really doubt that it was actually this- it would have started out low and gotten higher and higher numbers per day imo. But still, that means that (assuming an even progression) the first 6 months manifested less Epics thsn that, and the second manifested more. Imagine even 10 Rendings in a single day. The news and country would go berserk. Even 10 mass shootings in a day would be unbelievably tragic and unusual. Imagine the media even trying to keep up.

"This just in, a Boston neighbourhood has been destroyed in a massive fire, and police suspect an arsonist is- oh wait, breaking news, an earthquake has just struck Austin! The devastation is immense, the death toll is already estimated in the hundreds, perhaps- oh, this just in! A woman has gone on a shooting spree in New Jersey, details are unclear at the moment but witnesses describe loud bangs and have been unable to identify what weapons she might be using."

The chaos would be incredible.

Then imagine a hundred, two hundred a day. Crazy.

I suppose a good chunk of those could be cut by assuming the Epics in question were rather minor and might even not have had a Rending but still that's a lot and then the news from more or less the same happen outside the country as well. It really is no wonder that the time shortly after the outbreak was pure chaos... and yet still had banks giving out loans... really the more we know the more this is bugging me.

I suppose a good chunk of those could be cut by assuming the Epics in question were rather minor and might even not have had a Rending but still that's a lot and then the news from more or less the same happen outside the country as well. It really is no wonder that the time shortly after the outbreak was pure chaos... and yet still had banks giving out loans... really the more we know the more this is bugging me.

That is true, Brandon stated only more powerful Epics had Rendings. Still, even a Rending a day over a week would be more tragedy and violence in any developed country than its citizens, media and government would be used to.

I think until that first year had passed, the chaos was mostly confusion and no-one knowing what was going on. Banks don't stop operating during wartime, nor during most emergencies. Realistically they have no reason to, not if they are in denial about what is happening.

• Chaos locked this topic