How much should be read before taking on Secret History? (I know, I know, up to Bands Of Mourning) I am talking about cases like people who read only Mistborn books. Should they read Stormlight Archive before Secret History?

Well, maybe Elantris.

Definitely Elantris and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. I'd also highly, highly recommend both Way of Kings and Words of Radiance before reading Secret Histories. You should also be reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

Now, if you don't care about noticing Cosmere things, then just Elantris and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Edited by Blaze1616

Uh-oh. I myself have read most of cosmere, I was just asking to know how to adjust spoiler policy on FB group I'm in (and to adjust Reading Order). Since 90% of the group has only read SA and first four Mistborns...

SfSitFoH is currently unavailable in my country and I doubt it will be translated before Oathbringer.

Uh-oh. I myself have read most of cosmere, I was just asking to know how to adjust spoiler policy on FB group I'm in (and to adjust Reading Order). Since 90% of the group has only read SA and first four Mistborns...

SfSitFoH is currently unavailable in my country and I doubt it will be translated before Oathbringer.

I don't want to say more at risk of breaking the current spoiler policy, so if you'd like a bit more details without plot spoilers then PM me.

How much should be read before taking on Secret History? (I know, I know, up to Bands Of Mourning) I am talking about cases like people who read only Mistborn books. Should they read Stormlight Archive before Secret History?

I would suggest reading all of them, for the UTTER AMAZINGNESS residing in each book.

But before Secret History you really only need to know what happened on Sel. So Elantris, and maybe TES.

It's never necessary to read anything else though.

The cosmere references will just go way over your head, which defeats the point of reading cosmere books.

I just thought it was a great companion to the original trilogy. The cosmere stuff was definitely interesting, but not the main focus, I think.

Okay. I haven't been on here in a while, so I'll just answer a ton of questions now.

RE The Emperor's Soul (can't find the specific post where the conversation began): I'll make it yellow. I think it works better.

If we're including the short stories in this graphic, you're missing The Eleventh Metal, a Mistborn short story that's set prior to The Final Empire. Other than that, this is a cool concept, and I can't wait to see it expand as the cosmere grows. Hopefully one day Shadows for Silence and Sixth of the Dusk will have connections to the main series as well.

I'll get onto that. Thanks for the heads up.

The Young Bard, navybrandt, can I... borrow... that image? I want to post it on the polish site of Sanderson works. I would translate it, and of course I would credit you both.

You're more than welcome to borrow it as far as I'm concerned. I did this for other Sanderfans, so it makes sense that they should be able to see it. (Sorry for the delay. I only just saw this.)

Well, I'd put a loose tie before Elantris. It's not a "must-do" to read, but it helps a lot. (I can't really say more, or admins will start editing this post. :(). SSFH I can understand, but I don't actually recall the particular character appearing in SSFH at all, so I probably wouldn't if it were me. If I did, I would also put a loose tie from SSFH to WoK when he was painting the bridgeman.) I don't recall any Roshar references though...

So, unless someone/something changes my mind, that's a loose tie to Elantris. (It might become a firm tie though. I'm trying to work out how confusing it would be from a non-Elantris aware person.)

Edited by The Young Bard

• 1 month later...

The reading order I'd recommend very much fits into this :). The order I'd suggest is:

The Final Empire 

The Well of Ascension 

Hero of Ages

Warbreaker

Elantrias

The Emperor's soul

Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Alloy of law

Shadows of Self

Bands of Mourning

Secret History

Spoilered for length :)

You MUST read war breaker before WoR, otherwise one of the biggest cliffhangers and surprising moments is lost..

Personally, I think it's a should rather than a must. I read Warbreaker before WoR, but I didn't know what the Cosmere was and didn't pick up on the link until later.

• 4 months later...

How about a completing a reading order which is optimized for maximal cosmere-awareness? I mean an order which puts Way Of Kings after Mistborn First Era, Elantris and White Sand solely because of the Purelake worldhoppers?

We want to minimize the amount of missing references and easter eggs. We also want to keep as consistent as possible - Eleventh metal is a prequel to Final Empire, so it had to be read in the least time apart.

Of course, it can't be avoided with Secret History, as in such order it has to be read last of the currently avalaible cosmere.

Bolded segments are to be read in that order, the same color can be switched around. So it's always Blue-> Green -> Orange. Spoiler for length.

The Final Empire

• Eleventh metal

The Well of Ascension
Hero of Ages

Elantris

• Hope of Elantris

The Emperor's soul

White Sand

Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Words of Radiance

• Edgedancer

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Sixth of the Dusk

Alloy of law

• Allomancer Jak and Pits of Eltania

Shadows of Self
Bands of Mourning
Secret History

Did I miss any cosmere work?

Edited by Oversleep

On 8/6/2016 at 0:18 PM, Oversleep said:

How about a completing a reading order which is optimized for maximal cosmere-awareness? I mean an order which puts Way Of Kings after Mistborn First Era, Elantris and White Sand solely because of the Purelake worldhoppers?

We want to minimize the amount of missing references and easter eggs. We also want to keep as consistent as possible - Eleventh metal is a prequel to Final Empire, so it had to be read in the least time apart.

Of course, it can't be avoided with Secret History, as in such order it has to be read last of the currently avalaible cosmere.

Bolded segments are to be read in that order, the same color can be switched around. So it's always Blue-> Green -> Orange. Spoiler for length.

Hide contents

The Final Empire

• Eleventh metal

The Well of Ascension
Hero of Ages

Elantris

• Hope of Elantris

The Emperor's soul

White Sand

Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Words of Radiance

• Edgedancer

Sixth of the Dusk

Alloy of law

Shadows of Self
Bands of Mourning
Secret History

Did I miss any cosmere work?

Using the idea of keeping things consistent and as close together as possible why is era 2 Mistborn being read so long after era 1? Why not just do all of Mistborn in one go and then pick up where Elantris is? As in,

Spoiler

The Final Empire

• Eleventh metal

The Well of Ascension
Hero of Ages

Alloy of law

Shadows of Self
Bands of Mourning
Secret History

Elantris

• Hope of Elantris

The Emperor's soul

White Sand

Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Words of Radiance

• Edgedancer

Sixth of the Dusk

41 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Using the idea of keeping things consistent and as close together as possible why is era 2 Mistborn being read so long after era 1? Why not just do all of Mistborn in one go and then pick up where Elantris is?

Because:

On 6.08.2016 at 9:18 PM, Oversleep said:

Bands of Mourning for example have references to White Sand and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. Secret History has references to multiple stories (or rather worlds) and it should be read in close proximity of Bands of Mourning (I'd say SH cannot be read before BoM, but some people argue it could be).

So the segment of Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning and Secret History is the last.

@Oversleep: Those are good points. I worry that waiting to read Secret History until the very end will greatly lessen its impact as most people will take a long, long time to get through all of the other books. Unless a reread of era 1 is done right before I would almost recommend reading Secret History right after era 1 and then use the knowledge obtained from M:SH to help you find easter eggs in the rest of the works.

In regard to Secret History, I would personally support the reading it after Era 2. As Oversleep noted, Secret History contains a spoiler for Bands of Mourning. More importantly in my opinion, however, is that it's actually kind of nice to give Secret History a read when it has been a while since you visited the first Mistborn trilogy. Reading it like this reminds you a lot about the story, even though it is still new content. I suppose for this ends, you could just reread the first trilogy after the second one, but Secret History is perhaps a nice alternative if it hasn't been too long.

In regard to the major series. I would probably just say read Stormlight Archive after you have read the other ones. The existing Stormlight Archive books are best read after you have at least read the first mistborn trilogy and Wabreaker. Beyond that the order in which each series is more or less interchangeable.

Edited by Drake Marshall

On 10.08.2016 at 11:39 PM, Drake Marshall said:

More importantly in my opinion, however, is that it's actually kind of nice to give Secret History a read when it has been a while since you visited the first Mistborn trilogy. Reading it like this reminds you a lot about the story, even though it is still new content.

Yeah, the first sentence of Secret History has taken me on a trip through the memories back to First Era... although I have to admit that I've read Final Empire about 14 months ago, so it's not that long.

EDIT: I'm doing my own chart. So many arrows pointing at Secret History...

Edited by Oversleep

A question. I haven't read White Sand yet, so any connections to the cosmere? Since it's currently the last published story, I guess it doesn't have any major connections (like Warbreaker -> WoR) and minor connections, since it's so early in chronology?

On the other hand, I recall something about Purelake Wordlhopper being from White Sand (prose). Does it still stand?