Paradox Fears

RandomRevival

Um...just a random thought, but, after epics rose, and were taking over everything, they should have become nightmare fuel for like, everyone, right?

So...why weren't many of the new epics that appeared afterwards weakened by epics?

David himself many times in Firefight and Steelheart tells us how much people in Newcago feared epics and how they hid in the córners and other whiny stuff, In Firefight while driving to Babilar they see scavanger groups and Prof comments that every once in a while one of their own becomes an epic and kills his fellow scavengers.

Wouldn't they fear the very same people that destroyed their homes and drove them to desperate means of survival?

David mentions a LOT in Firefight how he hid when epics came and bla bla bla. Epics, being overpowered demigods, cruel selfish monsters. But sure, why not be afraid of water? I think David's secret fear are epics. This...sounds like a pretty good theory to me. I think water was A fear...but not THE fear, you know? And what if Calamity knew that already? Regalía mentioned that what finally convinced Calamity to give him powers was the blood of so many epis he had spilled...he had faced his fear, several times. Now, im sure someone is going to come over and say "But wait, Prof gifted him powers afterwards and bla bla bla. But...think about It. Do we really know if an epic who has faced his fear can be gifted powers? Megan's powers increased significantly when she faced hers. Edmund (who we assume also did) Had the power to gift an entire fracking city, that is a LOT. What if facing your fears granted you all sorts of other perks???????

Think about It.

intersting idea. on the other hand, we don't know of any epic whose weakness is another epic, and i am fairlly sure that the rules of the epicness states that your weakness would potentially allow any normal human to kill you. I don't think your weakness can be a specific person or groupp of people.

I like the general idea, but a few thoughts:

• Megan's powers didn't increase because she faced her fears. Earlier in the novel she mentions that her powers are always more god-like just after she's reincarnated. Similarly, we have no reason to believe that Conflux's power level has increased at any point in his Epic life time. It's equally possible that he's simply an exceptionally powerful Epic in his own right, like Steelheart or Obliteration.

• The argument that Epics who have faced their fears can be gifted powers doesn't really hold water for me. It's true that we don't know as a fact that they can't, but the same can be said for Epics who brush their teeth four times a day or know all the lyrics to "Yankee Doodle."

So while these things could be true, and while Calamity may very well prove them, I personally don't think they hold up to analytical scrutiny at the moment.

Of course, we'll have to wait till the third book to actually find out for sure. :) Steelheart.gif

Not only that, but Brandon Sanderson confirmed in this year's AMA that paradox fears wouldn't work unless the fear itself was more specific. The example he used was water: An Epic with water as a weakness wouldn't have water powers, since the powers would continually be canceled out by the weakness. The only way that would work would be if the weakness itself was something like water with dye in it, leaving un-colored water alone. 

So in other words, if David's true fear were Epics, becoming an Epic would most likely set off his weakness.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Quick note: This should probably be moved to the Firefight section, for some reason the Calamity subforum isn't protected so people browsing the main site can see the title which is a bit of a massive spoiler, albeit not an obvious one.

On to the actual topic at hand, I'd reiterate Kobolds point that Megan didn't get more powerful because of facing her Weakness, indeed all signs are that this is definitely temporary since she showed that she can easily best Prof in a fight when her powers are that strong which would kind of reduce any kind of tension from him as an antagonist.

Awwww... You guys ruin the magic :(

I suppose your arguments do make sense...

Also, sorry for the lack of structure of my post (i jumped from one topic to another completely diferent one in a nanosecond :P) i was in a hurry

But oh ever so soon i shall discover Brandon's Master plan!!!

• Chaos locked this topic