The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

Comatose

I just finished watching this truly exquisite film.  Words are failing me now, but PLEASE, someone tell me that they too have watched it so that I have someone to gush about it with?  

I mean, seriously, I could not tear my eyes away from the stunning animation.  I won't get to into the story for fear of spoilers until I know that someone else has watched it, but WOW.  As the ending credits came on, I was literally crying slow tears that gently streamed down my face, like in the movies.  I didn't know that even happened.  Just... ugh.

I'll get myself together soon and be able to have more of a frank and detailed discussion of the themes, plotting, voice acting, etc, but for now, please tell me somehow else was as impressed with this movie as I was!  I'm very glad to see that even without Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli is still a force to be reckoned with!

Seriously, there are just too many shivers.

I watched it in theatres, and later at home with my family! It's not my favourite effort by Isao Takahata (the award goes to Only Yesterday, but I haven't finished Anne of Green Gables which has the potential to turn out awesome, and I can't decide if I like Heidi more), but Kaguya is definitely the culmination of his oeuvre.

It takes the original tale and fills the holes, notably by adding an explanation for Kaguya being sent on Earth (to experience the beauty of mortal life as well as the tragedy of losing it). Fittingly, it also expands a lot on Kaguya's time on Earth and the beauty of life, depicting at lengths the vibrance of nature and using long shots of character animation uncannily realistic and detailed for its scroll-inspired art style. It's a very similar effect to Takahata's lingering shots of wildlife in Heidi, Anne of Green Gables' magnified appreciation of life and Only Yesterday's artistic praise of country life and longing/nostalgic portrayal of childhood. This film is not only an adaptation of the oldest extant Japanese prose tale, it's the culmination of Takahata's career as an animation auteur, reportedly seven years in the works (like the famous Redline) with Oga Kazuo's greatest background art yet and remarkable animation by several animators even by Ghibli's standards. It's as much about the original folktale as it is about the transient beauty of life, a theme that the director knows how to animate best and added himself into the movie.

Haven't watched it, but... it's Studio Ghibli. I don't follow them as much as I used to, but I remember them being, basically, the anime-equivalent of Pixar. So the fact that they've done a good movie isn't exactly surprising.

That being said, it's certainly shot up my "To Watch" list.