Ask Chaos Anything!

Chaos

I guess but I generally would expect people to think it weird that a professor would join them.

Hardly.  Professors are people, too, and you're really young.  I imagine you have a lot more in common with some of the grads and undergrads than many of your technical "peers".

Hardly. Professors are people, too, and you're really young. I imagine you have a lot more in common with some of the grads and undergrads than many of your technical "peers".

Besides, it might be a way to meet a girl.........

You might be thinking too much in terms of your formal relationship to each other. Teacher, student, very clear cut etc. Imagine you were meeting the same people at a bar or something with no other context. They're close to your age with similar interests, try see them as (potential) friends first, and people who happen to study at your college second.

Unless you actually teach them and then I'm not sure. But I think the barrier here might be like awkwardness - it's only there's as much as you think it's there. You know? I'm not speaking from experience though so maybe take this advice with a pinch or two of salt.

Edited by Delightful

Reason why I'm asking is because Montanna State is one of the top colleges that I'm currently considering, and wherever I go, there's a very high chance I'll be doing calc 2 as a freshman.

That's awesome! What will your major be?

Hardly.  Professors are people, too, and you're really young.  I imagine you have a lot more in common with some of the grads and undergrads than many of your technical "peers".

I suppose.

Besides, it might be a way to meet a girl.........

You might be thinking too much in terms of your formal relationship to each other. Teacher, student, very clear cut etc. Imagine you were meeting the same people at a bar or something with no other context. They're close to your age with similar interests, try see them as (potential) friends first, and people who happen to study at your college second.

Unless you actually teach them and then I'm not sure. But I think the barrier here might be like awkwardness - it's only there's as much as you think it's there. You know? I'm not speaking from experience though so maybe take this advice with a pinch or two of salt.

Yeah, I guess that's valid.

I was happy the other day. In one of our food courts, the girl who always takes my lunch order was totally astounded that I was actually a professor, and not any kind of student. So I guess I can pass for it.

Just cause you have a title doesn't make you ancient and unlikeable. Seriously. :)

^

This!

I think you're unnecessarily isolating yourself socially.  You're young.  A whippersnapper, even.  There is nothing wrong with interacting with people on a personal basis.  There are a ton of people at that college who are not and never will be your students.  Go ahead and let yourself hang out with folks a little.

Edited by Kaymyth

Hmmm. How to build trust.....

Introduce them to What Happened in Oregon so they can see craziness? Pretend spambots are actual users and Chaos is therefore likely to use babaji magic on them? :P

I mean it's more of a trolling mad King dictatorship thing here....

Edited by Delightful

Just cause you have a title doesn't make you ancient and unlikeable. Seriously. :)

To be fair this kinda depends on the title. Professor? Sure. But Dark Lord of the Underworld? Probably ancient and unlikable.

To be fair this kinda depends on the title. Professor? Sure. But Dark Lord of the Underworld? Probably ancient and unlikable.

Mmm depends if he's good looking and brooding. :P. (Paranormal romance authors will make anything attractive.....or attempt to) :rolleyes: Edited by Delightful

^

This!

I think you're unnecessarily isolating yourself socially.  You're young.  A whippersnapper, even.  There is nothing wrong with interacting with people on a personal basis.  There are a ton of people at that college who are not and never will be your students.  Go ahead and let yourself hang out with folks a little.

How am I supposed to be on 17S and play Guild Wars 2 if I go outside! Sacrilege ;)

You've previously stated that you enjoy RPGs. WHat's your opinion on THe Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Did you enjoy the gameplay? The lore?

Their extreme open world nature actually makes them quite unappealing to me. It also doesn't help they are designed to be in first person. I don't know. I've actually never had any desire to play those Bethesda games. I have also heard they lack depth.

Oh and besides, forget being a professor. Just tell people you moderate a legitimately friendly, calm and polite Internet forum and the ladies will swoon.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Hmmm. How to build trust.....

Introduce them to What Happened in Oregon so they can see craziness? Pretend spambots are actual users and Chaos is therefore likely to use babaji magic on them? :P

I mean it's more of a trolling mad King dictatorship thing here....

Hey, I thought I was the dictator here...

Unlimited power?

Mmm depends if he's good looking and brooding. :P. (Paranormal romance authors will make anything attractive.....or attempt to) :rolleyes:

I mean it isn't really that hard to cyberstalk me--my name is in Brandon's acknowledgements--but it's pretty standard nerd fare :P

Which classes do you enjoy in GW2?

My main is Guardian. I have all classes at 80 and geared: All characters are in full ascended armor (just finished my 12th set of it today!), with all the important weapons. But I don't spread love to my alts evenly. I play on most everything in dungeons/raids except Mesmer and Ranger. Thief used to be in that category but Condi Thief is kind of hilarious and pretty good.

Do you play mmo's?

Guild Wars 2 is an MMO! Hearthstone forced me to play WoW for a bit to get an alternate hero skin, and man... I had never played WoW, but god I hated every second of it. Made me really like the quality of life in Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2 is an MMO! Hearthstone forced me to play WoW for a bit to get an alternate hero skin, and man... I had never played WoW, but god I hated every second of it. Made me really like the quality of life in Guild Wars 2.

What did you hate about WoW? And, on the flip side of the coin, what do you like about GW2?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not get paid, and we are not looking for additional administrators. If we were we have an extensive list of people we could select. There is no application process.

Stormgate, I will reply to your PM eventually. The request was unusual and I am very busy, so I have not had time to craft a proper response. (We are volunteers, after all.)

The plan is that people get paid eventually. This will mean ads on the site. We will make sure the ads are not obtrusive.

Minor things that are nice quality of life improvements:

1. You can now undo up or downvotes. Thank Harmony.

2. You can now tag users in posts, and users (if your notifications are set correctly) will get a notification.

Wait, has this happened yet? If so, it seems like it'd be really useful, how exactly does one do these things?

Wait, has this happened yet? If so, it seems like it'd be really useful, how exactly does one do these things?

In the next update. It will be very obvious when this happens as the site will look very different.

• 3 weeks later...

What advice do you have for someone coping with the fact that free will is an illusion?

Realive that it doesn't really matter as long as you can derive happiness from your existence. Also, it's not such a big deal if all of reality is an illusion as well.

Realize that it doesn't really matter as long as you can derive happiness from your existence. Also, it's not such a big deal if all of reality is an illusion as well.

And to this I say - AMEN.

@Chaos: Would you say that your life is musically oriented? If you could break down your entire existence into 10 songs (or any number of them really), what songs would you pick and why?