Jurassic World

Quiver

Well, the movie was released in the UK today, so some friends and I are going to see it this evening.

I have... some nostalgia for Jurassic Park. It's one of those movies which I know was a big deal in my childhood, and which I always wanted to see... but I never really did. I saw it more recently- channels have been running reruns of the trilogy leading up to this, obviously- and while I like it, I'm not going into Jurassic World with particularly rose-tinted glasses.

Anyone else planning on seeing the film?

Well, that was far far better than 2 or 3, that's for sure. As good as 1 though?......nawh.

Without going into any detail, I have to say that almost every single character was a complete idiot. I don't mean that in a survival situation I'd make different better choices, the business characters seem to have no management or people skills, the guys with guns think with their guns, and the boys.....well I guess they were fairly normal really. Pratt's character was easily the best, and as I haven't seen him in anything else, there's much less bias there.

The dinosaurs were really amazing, the park making me want to go there desperately, the hark-backs heart-warming, and yeah, anything not to do with human intelligence was fantastic. Still not sure about Pratt and the raptors though.....

Hmm.

So, ultimately? I enjoyed it. It was a fun movie, with good action and dinosaurs. To an extent, that's all I wanted.

But.

I feel like they missed a serious opportunity here. 

This is the first film in the franchise that's really doing something different; a functional Dinosaur theme park. The first movie was built around "here is the theme park", and watching it go amok. The second and third films more-or-less dispensed with that conceit, because the dinosaurs were already there, so we didn't need an excuse for their existence.

This movie- the very concept of a Jurassic World- immediatly does something different with the franchise, and I think the early scenes show that best. Every moment where the theme park is being a theme park was wonderful to me; the giant dinosaur fish tank, the baby dinosaur petting zoo... even Owen Grady being an animal handler. Those are brilliant concepts and ideas.

Particularly the last one; the film mentions that Owen used to be in the Navy, but it's his animal handler skills that I find more interesting and which ultimately save the day.

My problem is that, by the end of the movie, the Park is trashed (again), meaning that this potential and possibility will never be explored in future movies (and they clearly set themselves up for future films, what with the geneticist getting away and talking about "my deal"). Maybe I shouldn't have hoped they would do something different... but we've seen "dinosaurs chase people and kill them" for three movies already. The theme park- and the need by management to keep the iRex away from the tourists- should have given the movie more of a purpose than just adding more warm bodies for dinosaurs to munch on.

After all, the park runs based on their ability to keep the guests safe from dinosaurs. I was sort of hoping that maybe the iRex and the others would get close- very close- to breaking through the park defenses... and losing at the last minute. The kids- clearly traumatised- are bundled away on the cruise ship... as the next ferry load of guests arrive, unaware that the security protocols the Island has really aren't good enough; they might not have escaped now, but it's own a matter of time...

...Of course, thats just the movie in my head. The one on-screen was alright; it was a fun way to spend an afternoon, and I saw a raptor and a T-Rex tag team a dinosaur. I just... wish they had done something more adventurous with the concept than "dino's escape, everybody dies" again.

Edited by Quiver

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to watching this, and for the most part, I was impressed.

The two parts I felt let the movie down was...

They really leapt on the 'family crisis' bandwagon that so many Hollywood movies do. I mean, you had the parents divorcing, the estranged sisters, the failed relationship, the teenager's first love, all with a bit of brotherly rivalry thrown in for good measure. The movie was about dinosaurs running amok, not one family and their social problems.

My second issue was that these so-called dinosaur experts were blind. I looked at the iRex and immediately knew it was part raptor, yet the person who was practically part of a raptor pack didn't notice how much the iRex looked like an overgrown raptor until it started talking to them.