Alethi Bookmarks

Okay everyone, I am wanting to get your opinions. I am considering selling custom, hand made bookmarks. You would be able to chose a short phrase, and I would write it in Alethi and send it to you. (And you could know for sure it was the right since I have actually been taught by Isaac how to write in the women's script. :D)

You would be able to choose both the color of the bookmark and the writing (one color for each of the ten Surges, based on the gemstones).  There would also be a choice of a few "fonts" to chose from. The bookmarks would be 2 in x 6.5 in. The bookmark would be made of cardstock, and would be covered by some heavy duty lamination. I would ship them between two pieces of cardboard to make sure it doesn't get bent.

I am currently thinking the cost would be $10 for a bookmark with Alethi written on only one side, and $13 for Alethi on both sides, plus shipping (so the most expensive one would be about $19 total).

My question is this: How many of you would not only be interested in buying one, but would be imediately able to do so? I'm thinking right now I can get the supplies and get things started if I can pre-sell at least ten of them, and I was checking to see if there's enough of a demand for it.

If you would be able to, please just reply and let me know. Also, if you have a question feel free to ask!

Well, I would love one, perhaps double-sided with the first ideal of the Radiants on one side and the second ideal of the Windrunners on the other. 

HOWEVER, I do live in the UK, and so shipping would be different. If you can ship to the UK, then great. If not, I understand.

I would love to buy one, but just regular paper sounds... fragile. I've been using my epic bookmark for about an year now, and it's peeling off around the corners and some edges. I am afraid that anything of lesser quality wouldn't last even this long.

I'd hate to sound skeptical (which I am not, I just like information), but have you considered other mediums? Also, what exactly were you planning to do with the background - solid color, or something a tiny bit fancier (e.g. solid color with shades/gradient)? And finally, were you planning on doing everything entirely by hand, or are digital technologies on the table as well (for things such as the "fancier" background I mentioned above)?

Hope I am not being too picky! :)

I would love to buy one, but just regular paper sounds... fragile. I've been using my epic bookmark for about an year now, and it's peeling off around the corners and some edges. I am afraid that anything of lesser quality wouldn't last even this long.

I think Mi'ch's comment about "regular paper" only referred to Krelian's request of wanting to see what one would look like. After all, she said:

The bookmark would be made of cardstock, and would be covered by some heavy duty lamination. I would ship them between two pieces of cardboard to make sure it doesn't get bent.

:) Is that better?

I will try to get a quick mock up made up tomorrow and post it then.  I'm still debating on bookmark sizes, which is why you haven't seen something yet.

Also, for now everything would be hand written.  For the backgrounds I don't plan on doing anything too fancy, simply because if I were to print something it would be with a normal printer, and that would just look kind of cheap.  Also, I have a few "font" choices you could chose from as well, so that could help spice things up.

Edit:

So, here's a super quick mock up of a bookmark.   :D  The size is going to be 2 inches by 6.5 inches.

vfvWCueh.jpg

For some reason I feel like the script shouldn't cover so much of the height of the bookmark... But that's probably because I am used to seeing Western (and Cyrillic) writing, and in the density of ink on the line (for the lack of a better phrase) is higher closer to the bottom of the line; Alethi script is more symmetric, which is why I am probably thrown off.

On a side note, didn't we have an idea a while back about creating a (computer) front to mimic the Alethi writing? I imagine having something like that would allow for a lot more customization with much less effort. Though there is definitely an argument to be made about the... individuality of manual labor.

Will do! I hope I'll be able to get them started soon.

For some reason I feel like the script shouldn't cover so much of the height of the bookmark... But that's probably because I am used to seeing Western (and Cyrillic) writing, and in the density of ink on the line (for the lack of a better phrase) is higher closer to the bottom of the line; Alethi script is more symmetric, which is why I am probably thrown off.

On a side note, didn't we have an idea a while back about creating a (computer) front to mimic the Alethi writing? I imagine having something like that would allow for a lot more customization with much less effort. Though there is definitely an argument to be made about the... individuality of manual labor.

The size would vary with each bookmark. A longer phrase (I help those who cannot help themselves) I'll have to break onto two or three lines in order to fit. So, they may not all be perfectly centered.

As for the font, currently all of the fonts I've seen have errors in them. Plus, again, I would be using my home printer which would print at a lower quality than I'm wanting. Maybe later in I'll see if I can do something that is printed.

Edited by Rubix
Combining double post <3

I would be interested in buying some. Ideally, I would like "Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." on one side, and "First Ideal" on the other side. I'm thinking that a set of ten would be awesome, one for each color/surge/gemstone.

I would buy one immediately. Already thinking of phrases I would like to have. 

Sweet!  I will pm you soon with details.

I would be interested in buying some. Ideally, I would like "Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination." on one side, and "First Ideal" on the other side. I'm thinking that a set of ten would be awesome, one for each color/surge/gemstone.

I have to say, I'm willing to do the quotes, but they might be a bit hard to all fit in the space.  However, if I can fit it, I'm totally willing to.  :D