• Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Cosmereism
    • Atheist/Agnostic
    • Other
    • Christian - Other

5 hours ago, Delightful said:

What I'm asking is, is it a yearly holiday, or a once in a lifetime holiday? I thought Haj was once a lifetime?

Hajj isn't exactly a holiday, it's a pilgrimage to Mecca. It happens every year in the last month of the the Islamic year and all adult Muslims are required to perform it at least once in a lifetime, and that too only if they are financially and physically capable of travelling to Mecca and carry out Hajj. It's Eid al Adha that's the holiday, and it's at the end of Hajj.

EDIT- huh, as a matter of fact, we do get holidays during the days of Hajj. 

Edited by Daniyah

9 hours ago, Delightful said:

I thought Haj was a pilgrimage to Mecca. What's Hajj?

I assumed you were asking how Hajj was different from Haj since you already seemed to know what Haj was :P oops

Double post :ph34r: oops again

Edited by Daniyah

The thing about prophecies is that if it means nothing to the people receiving it at the time (ie, it speaks of technology and events that won't happen for millennia) it's unhelpful and pretty much gibberish.

The other critique: if it speaks of future events, how come these events are never seen as part of the prophecy until after they occur? How come a biblical illustrator never drew anything resembling a helicopter in relation to Revelations until after helicopters existed? If the meaning does not occur to people until well after the event, it's gibberish (This is my main critique for Nostradamus)

4 hours ago, Orlion Determined said:

The thing about prophecies is that if it means nothing to the people receiving it at the time (ie, it speaks of technology and events that won't happen for millennia) it's unhelpful and pretty much gibberish.

The other critique: if it speaks of future events, how come these events are never seen as part of the prophecy until after they occur? How come a biblical illustrator never drew anything resembling a helicopter in relation to Revelations until after helicopters existed? If the meaning does not occur to people until well after the event, it's gibberish (This is my main critique for Nostradamus)

Well, it's sure more helpful than the Song of Solomon!

8 hours ago, Elenion said:

Well, it's sure more helpful than the Song of Solomon!

Shir HaShirim is one of my favourites.

( Not as prophecy. )

How do you see it, because I'm sure the way I've learned it is very very different. 

Edited by Delightful

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Shir HaShirim is one of my favourites.

( Not as prophecy. )

How do you see it, because I'm sure the way I've learned it is very very different. 

I am a Mormon, and the first prophet of our church, Joseph Smith, actually made a note on this subject that is now incorporated into a footnote in our Bibles. It states, "the Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings." For this reason it is rarely referred to in our church. For more information, see this entry on the church website: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/song-of-solomon?lang=eng (JST in the entry stands for Joseph Smith Translation).

What are your views on the book?

26 minutes ago, Elenion said:

I am a Mormon, and the first prophet of our church, Joseph Smith, actually made a note on this subject that is now incorporated into a footnote in our Bibles. It states, "the Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings." For this reason it is rarely referred to in our church. For more information, see this entry on the church website: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/song-of-solomon?lang=eng (JST in the entry stands for Joseph Smith Translation).

Really? I never knew that. Are there any other books in the bible he declared uninspired?

Just now, The Only Joe said:

Really? I never knew that. Are there any other books in the bible he declared uninspired?

No others that I know of, although my personal opinions target the books of Chronicles as reruns of Kings.

47 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Wow. And Rabbi Akiva (the same one who taught "love your neighbour as yourself" ) calls it the Holy of Holies. 

I don't have time to explain right now, but the short version is that it's about G-D's relationship with the Jews as told through the metaphor of two human lovers. 

Just now, Delightful said:

Wow. And Rabbi Akiva (the same one who taught "love your neighbour as yourself" ) calls it the Holy of Holies. 

I don't have time to explain right now, but the short version is that it's about G-D's relationship with the Jews as told through the metaphor of two human lovers. 

What religion are you, if you don't mind my asking?  You use some different religious terms than I am used to, and am wondering which religion I need to learn more about.

Just now, Elenion said:

What religion are you, if you don't mind my asking?  You use some different religious terms than I am used to, and am wondering which religion I need to learn more about.

I'm Jewish :)

And I also have to go right now. Feel free to PM me. :)

After reading all of this I have realized I knew basically nothing about any religion being talked about above. And it's good to have more knowledge of them through this thread ^_^  and not having to read long Wikipedia pages for it.

On 07/07/2016 at 0:23 PM, Delightful said:

(Awesome)

I thought Haj was a pilgrimage to Mecca. What's Hajj?

Haj is the pilgramage to Mecca, Hajj is also the name of the last month in the islamic lunar calendar, it's called Zul-Hajj

EDIT-Also, seeing the topic of prophecies. What if the point of creating "prophecies" is to sort of give people the idea of creating something to fulfill it?

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

7 hours ago, Daniyah said:

After reading all of this I have realized I knew basically nothing about any religion being talked about above. And it's good to have more knowledge of them through this thread ^_^  and not having to read long Wikipedia pages for it.

I recommend the website of the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance.  Lotta info there.

I wish I'd joined this discussion 21 pages ago. It's fantastic to see an Internet discussion about religion where everyone is happy, friendly and curious. I love it :D

Just a heads up - I'm a Christian (Protestant if you want to be more specific, Evengelical if you want to be EVEN MORE specific, Plymouth Brethren if you want to be ridiculously specific, and open church if you care about minutia). 

On the Song of Solomon - my knowledge of it is mostly the same as @Delightful: a beautiful metaphor of the Love of God for his believers. This is how it's generally considered among the Christians I know.

However, as is the case for most of scripture, it also showcases another important thing: that marriage (and sex within that marriage) is a beautiful, wonderful God-given joining together of two people. That married people are supposed to enjoy each other completely - their company, their personalities, and yes, their bodies. 

• 3 months later...

I don't know if there is a separate thread for this and couldn't find it, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed how much Sanderson's religion has influenced his work. There are a few things unique to the Lds church I think I have noticed (although I may be wrong) and was wondering if anyone would like to discuss?

14 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I don't know if there is a separate thread for this and couldn't find it, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed how much Sanderson's religion has influenced his work. There are a few things unique to the Lds church I think I have noticed (although I may be wrong) and was wondering if anyone would like to discuss?

I know it's come up, but I don't know if I've seen a thread specifically talking about it.  There's definitely a lot of influences, and I've argued some that haven't been confirmed too, like the definition for Dominion (which a lot of people regard negatively, even if they don't treat it as exactly evil).

4 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I've argued some that haven't been confirmed too, like the definition for Dominion (which a lot of people regard negatively, even if they don't treat it as exactly evil).

I'm still a little confused on what Dominion is..is it the part of the shattered god that seeks to control others? What do you think it is?

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

We do have one. It's a few years old, but here's the link. :)

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

I'm still a little confused on what Dominion is..is it the part of the shattered god that seeks to control others? What do you think it is?

In the Bible, God has Dominion over the earth, which He then gives to man as well. Basically, it's considered to be both rule and responsibility; you tend and develop and also rule over. Now, part of that might be too close to Cultivation, but the concept I think is sound when it comes to applying it to the Shard of Dominion. It's about benevolent rule and care.

11 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

It's about benevolent rule and care.

It could be about benevolent rule and care. The Shard by itself is just about ruling. Now, how the Shardholder interprets the Intent, however... Imagine Dalinar Ascending to Dominion. Now, imagine Straff Ascending to Dominion.

10 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It could be about benevolent rule and care. The Shard by itself is just about ruling. Now, how the Shardholder interprets the Intent, however... Imagine Dalinar Ascending to Dominion. Now, imagine Straff Ascending to Dominion.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the Cosmere - showing what can happen when certain parts of God are isolated.

He bears the weight of God’s own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context.

Anger, and even hatred, can be good, and useful - but only with the proper context.