• Hindu
    • Cosmereism
    • Atheist/Agnostic
    • Other
    • Christian - Other

30 minutes ago, Delightful said:

You're Mormon? 

Is that like....lent? I think?

so does that mean you skip meals, or you don't eat or drink anything at all for the time of two meals?

(I'm asking cause I was told as a kid that when most people say fasting it means drinking and sweets but nothing else and when Jews fast it means nothing at all. I am questioning this. And my only other point of reference, fasting blood tests, go better when you've been drinking water)

Yeah, I am. :)

It's technically supposed to be 24 hours of fasting. Start after dinner on Saturday, then go until dinner on Sunday. For us it means no food or drink, while praying for something that is very important to us. Like more self control or a mild hurricane season. Then we give the money we would have spent on those two meals to the church, who uses the money to give food to the poor. :) 

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Especially if that place was the Internet. :D

We have a sort of similar thing that we face Jerusalem when we pray but if we don't know where Jerusalem is relevant to our current location, we just think about it. And we pray for rain in the rainy season in Israel regardless of the country we're actually in.

And we face Kaaba which is in Mecca when we pray.Theoretically though, if Ramadan is 11 days earlier every year, over 30-something years it'll have been in basically every season? 

Theoretically though, if Ramadan is 11 days earlier every year, over 30-something years it'll have been in basically every season? 

As they say, the more you know,the more you know you don't know. 

Yes, basically :D 

Edit: @Daniyah, did you see Brandon when he was in the UAE this year? Was he anywhere near you?

I am ashamed to say that when I found out he was here it was too late and I couldn't make it. Not only that, he came here last year as well, to Sharjah Expo which is like at 5 minutes walk from my house, and that time I had no idea who Brandon Sanderson was and I just hate myself for that. 

58 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

It's technically supposed to be 24 hours of fasting. Start after dinner on Saturday, then go until dinner on Sunday. For us it means no food or drink, while praying for something that is very important to us. Like more self control or a mild hurricane season. Then we give the money we would have spent on those two meals to the church, who uses the money to give food to the poor. :) 

Not true. That's a common misconception, but you're simply supposed to fast two consecutive meals in a 24 hour period on Sunday. Lots of families do the whole, 'start right after dinner on Saturday, go till monday' that most of my community does., but that's never been said by an apostle or prophet to be the 'correct way' to do it.

8 minutes ago, Daniyah said:

And we face Kaaba which is in Mecca when we pray.Theoretically though, if Ramadan is 11 days earlier every year, over 30-something years it'll have been in basically every season? 

Yes, basically :D 

I am ashamed to say that when I found out he was here it was too late and I couldn't make it. Not only that, he came here last year as well, to Sharjah Expo which is like at 5 minutes walk from my house, and that time I had no idea who Brandon Sanderson was and I just hate myself for that. 

Don't hate yourself! :(

(okay you probably didn't mean it like that...I'm just a little over sensitive about people being mean to themselves. It happens too much). 

32 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Don't hate yourself! :(

(okay you probably didn't mean it like that...I'm just a little over sensitive about people being mean to themselves. It happens too much). 

Okay, if you say so XD

43 minutes ago, The Only Joe said:

Not true. That's a common misconception, but you're simply supposed to fast two consecutive meals in a 24 hour period on Sunday. Lots of families do the whole, 'start right after dinner on Saturday, go till monday' that most of my community does., but that's never been said by an apostle or prophet to be the 'correct way' to do it.

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I've actually been wondering about that. 

8 hours ago, Delightful said:

@Daniyah Where do you live? Can't Ramadan end up at any time of year because it's based on the lunar calendar?

is it easier in summer because no school, or harder because it's harder to do fun stuff?

@Darkness Ascendant kosher is a bunch of laws about food that can and can't be eaten, similar in some respects to Halal I think. There are definitely some products that are both. The basic principle of kashrut* is not mixing meat or milk, and not eating certain animals, but it gets a lot more complicated from there. 

So on Jumma are you exempt from work or forbidden from it? What do you do in Aus? 

*kosher describes the food, kashrut is the concept. 

Huh, your right, It's almost exactly the same as Halal/Haram. Funny when you think just how similar Judaism/Christianity/Islam are, and then you think the wars fought between them and the general rivalry, of course that doesn't exist any more (mostly)

Nah, your choice if you want to work or not here in Aus. But like I said before, in Muslim countries it's basically a holiday

@Daniyah Your soooo lucky that school's off for you guys. There are still two weeks left till the holidays here :( 

7 hours ago, Daniyah said:

In summer it's easier because there's no school, though it's really hot outside, and I prefer to stay indoors lest I get too thirsty.

Well, Ramadan doesn't end up at any time of the year, but every year Ramadan starts 11(?) days earlier than the previous year.

I live in the UAE

And no, we aren't forbidden from work, it's just that Friday holds importance and significance to Muslims and we have a special Friday prayer (Jumma prayer), so most Muslim countries take that into consideration and give Friday as a day off, and instead making Sunday a working day. It's like that here in the UAE too, schools, offices, etc

Yeah it's eleven days.

UAE? Where there? If it's Dubai or Abhu Dabi, then I might be around when we go on holidays to visit family :) Mum was born there (Dubai)

6 hours ago, Eki said:

I've heard that in 'impossible' situations, some choose to use the time in Mecca rather than the local time as a reference. I don't know if that's widespread, or even true, but...

Yeah I've heard this too

6 hours ago, Quiver said:

(As someone whose ignorance of both Judaism and Islam laps 'stupefying' to become 'vaygely impressive', can I just chime in to say this is a really interesting and enlightening conversation to read)

Good on you mate

5 hours ago, Delightful said:

Especially if that place was the Internet. :D

We have a sort of similar thing that we face Jerusalem when we pray but if we don't know where Jerusalem is relevant to our current location, we just think about it. And we pray for rain in the rainy season in Israel regardless of the country we're actually in.

Theoretically though, if Ramadan is 11 days earlier every year, over 30-something years it'll have been in basically every season? 

@Quiver your ignorance is running laps around itself? That in itself is impressive. :P

As they say, the more you know,the more you know you don't know. 

Edit: @Daniyah, did you see Brandon when he was in the UAE this year? Was he anywhere near you?

You face Jerusalem when you pray? All the more we are similar, we face the Kaba in Mecca when we pray :) 

Never thought of Ramadan like that :) 

This thread is moving wayyyy to fast. Take it easy with the forum-time guys. Or I will be forced to make even longer posts every 5 hours :)

5 hours ago, Eki said:

Yeah, it follows a lunar calendar, which effectively means it moves around the solar calendar most people are familiar with.

Right on the money Eki

4 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Yeah, I am. :)

You give the money you would have spent. I like that idea more than our version. We have to give zakah during Ramadan, and I think pay Fitra, which is like 10 dollars per person every day

Sorry about the double post, wouldn't let me edit <_<

39 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Daniyah Your soooo lucky that school's off for you guys. There are still two weeks left till the holidays here :( 

Yeah it's eleven days.

UAE? Where there? If it's Dubai or Abhu Dabi, then I might be around when we go on holidays to visit family :) Mum was born there (Dubai)

Two weeks? Ramadan will be over by then! Right? 

Sharjah, actually :) 

1 minute ago, Daniyah said:

Two weeks? Ramadan will be over by then! Right? 

Sharjah, actually :) 

Sharjah? I just checked with mum to see where she was actually born (I wasn't sure) but Sharjah is in fact where she was born! wow

Ye Ramadan should be over, Can't wait for Eid (I want money :))

Eh gtg to school now :( 

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Sharjah? I just checked with mum to see where she was actually born (I wasn't sure) but Sharjah is in fact where she was born! wow

Ye Ramadan should be over, Can't wait for Eid (I want money :))

Eh gtg to school now :( 

That's cool

Ah time zones, it's 1:30 am here XD

Wow I am going to have to come back when I'm not so tired and read this entire thread! I've just read a couple of the 19-thus-far pages, and have come to the conclusion that you all are amazing. This is how it should be: people respecting others who are different from themselves and learning about their beliefs freely, with no pressure or judgement. It is incredible and wonderful that we're so diverse and can have this type of (virtual) dialogue.

For myself, I am a Christian/Protestant - have been since the 60s - but through the years it's been interesting to have friends with other beliefs (including atheists) tell me that I simply cannot be a Christian because "you're not like those people - you're normal!" I just believe in respecting others; IMO tolerance is not enough - do you want to be "tolerated"? wouldn't you rather be respected? I know I would, and it's up to me to respect others first. Sorry - don't mean to "preach" - it's just something I care about.:)

Edit/addition: For Christians of any persuasion - Have you heard any of the "new Irish hymns"? Complex words, but the Celtic-style tunes are really catchy! And for others: I can well imagine that hymn-singing could strike you as strange. In western culture today, we don't sing routinely as our ancestors did or as other cultures do now. With MP3 players (and older technologies), music has become a spectator activity for us, like much of sports. Maybe someday it'll change back, but probably not soon. Interesting to think about...

Edited by old aggie
add comment re: hymns

7 hours ago, Delightful said:

@old aggie I don't know about you but I sing all the time. Usually when I'm alone, and of various musical quality. I'm willing to bet most people do that. :)

Yes, me too - especially in the car.

About the only time there's an opportunity to sing in public these days is the National Anthem at sports events; at baseball games, you get a bonus of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and "God Bless America" @ the 7th inning stretch.

Come to think of it, I've read where sporting events in the US kind of fill the place that religious rituals do in other cultures ... perhaps the OP should add "Professional Sports" to the list of poll options for "Religion." :D

On 6/21/2016 at 7:04 AM, old aggie said:

Come to think of it, I've read where sporting events in the US kind of fill the place that religious rituals do in other cultures ... perhaps the OP should add "Professional Sports" to the list of poll options for "Religion." :D

That is fairly accurate although you can see it in other countries depending on the sport. I'm American and our major sports have insane followings. To go even further, college handegg (American football) is obsessed upon, especially down here in the South. I personally think the adoration and praise placed upon professional sports is unsettling.

But then none of this compares to the effect that something like actual real football globally. I mean, look at World Cups.

2 hours ago, Kythis said:

That is fairly accurate although you can see it in other countries depending on the sport. I'm American and our major sports have insane followings. To go even further, college handegg (American football) is obsessed upon, especially down here in the South. I personally think the adoration and praise placed upon professional sports is unsettling.

But then none of this compares to the effect that something like actual real football globally. I mean, look at World Cups.

"Handegg" = the best name for Murrican football ever.

On 6/24/2016 at 10:58 AM, Kythis said:

... I'm American and our major sports have insane followings. ...

Agreed, & here's an example: 1.3 million people flooded downtown Cleveland last week for the victory parade for the Cavaliers winning the 2016 NBA championship. People flew in from out of state (Kansas, the Carolinas, Boston, etc.) for the celebration! Sounds like a pilgrimage, eh? ^_^

A mix of Ezekiel 38 and Daniel 2, mostly. And probably a bit of Dan 11. The general idea being an expectation of Russia (Gog/King of the North) gaining significant power in Europe, and occupying areas in the middle east, particularly Israel, with Britain being more part of the King of the South/Merchants of Tarshish in opposition. So for that to really work, Britain couldn't really be tied to Europe through the EU, and if it left, it would make the EU more open to work with Russia.

17 hours ago, Mestiv said:

What prophecy? :P

If I'm not incorrect, he may be referring to (John's) Revelation. It's the final book of the Protestant Bible, and it gives a probably metaphorical prophecy of what will happen during the end of the world. The book gives no date when it will happen, so every time something like this happens, people panic.