• Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Cosmereism
    • Atheist/Agnostic
    • Other
    • Christian - Other

2 hours ago, Argent said:

I just realized that a tiny downside of atheism is that we don't get special days and cool things to say during said special days... =\

Don't be silly.  You have Arbor Day!  And Star Wars Day!  And Talk Like A Pirate Day!

3 hours ago, Argent said:

I just realized that a tiny downside of atheism is that we don't get special days and cool things to say during said special days... =\

Nah, it's an advantage! An opportunity for us atheists to exercise our most cherished characteristic: being pretentious!  ;)

Some guy: Happy Holidays!

Us Atheists: Well, that's a nice thought... But I wish all your days are happy!

Some guy: God, just take a well wishing!

Us Atheists: *Confused* I don't understand why everyone hates us so! 

:P

Also, we got national holidays like V-day, Independence day, and Boxing Day!

Edited by Orlion Determined

On 6/17/2016 at 11:27 AM, Eccentric Hero said:

It seems like I am one of the few Muslims here.

Currently it is Ramadan, fasting month for us.

Ramadan Mubarak!

Ayyye, more muslims!! I was actually gonna ask who was a Muslim here. But it appears they have revealed themselves here.

BTW I am a muslim as well. And I'm hungry :) Ramadan Mubarak too you all as well

6 muslims so far :) 

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

43 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Do you have water during the day, or absolutely nothing at all?

Must be insanely hard to do that for a month. One day of Yom Kippur is hard enough for me.  

nothing from dawn till dusk.

5am aprox to 5pm aprox

It's not that hard after some time. You learn to control the hunger pangs. Unless your like me and play soccer while fasting and die at the end :) 

Oh my god you do what. 

So Yom Kippur is 25 hours, but we have more minor fasts that go from dawn till dusk basically which sounds more like Ramadan time. And.....you do this for a month and you play soccer :o. I'm in awe. I usually sleep in and try do nothing all day....plenty people work (I'm just lazy when i can get away with it :P) but still, that's one day. You're amazing. 

So what's the reason/purpose of Ramadan?

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Do you bother getting up for breakfast at 4?

Why yes. Me and my family actually stay up till dawn. Eat, pray then go to sleep. It isn't as bad as it sounds, you get used to it after a day or two

33 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

What happens when a Muslim ends up beyond the Arctic Circle where there is arctic day?! :o or, you can go easy and go for arctic night?

I once saw a documentary about a Muslim family in Finland during Ramadan, I don't remember exactly but I think follow the local time and fast during the day hours. Don't know how they manage though 

@Daniyah so you sleep during the morning? What about work/school? Do you have specific things you do all night or do you just read or whatever? 

so on Shabbat ie Friday dusk to Saturday dusk, Orthodox Jews don't do work. I remember reading back when Matisyahu was orthodox, he played a concert on Friday night in Alaska because Shabbat only began at like 11. That's crazy.  

And I think for Jews it generally not reccomended to live in the poles because it's just far too complicated. They did get kosher space food for the Israeli austronaut Ilan Ramon though. That's cool. :)

BTW let me know when the questions get annoying. :)

Edited by Delightful

3 hours ago, Delightful said:

Oh my god you do what. 

So Yom Kippur is 25 hours, but we have more minor fasts that go from dawn till dusk basically which sounds more like Ramadan time. And.....you do this for a month and you play soccer :o. I'm in awe. I usually sleep in and try do nothing all day....plenty people work (I'm just lazy when i can get away with it :P) but still, that's one day. You're amazing. 

So what's the reason/purpose of Ramadan?

I will try and be modest at you calling me amazing by saying that people do far more than me when fasting, like Mohammed Ali, who fasted no matter what ;) 

The reason and purpose is varied. I recommend you google it for  more precise answer I am about to give you. The reason is to instill discipline, self control and rememberance of the poor people in the world who "fast" on a daily basis. It reminds us on how much we rely on what God gives us, food, water etc etc and to be thankful and grateful at Allah's mercy that we were born in such fortunate families, among the top 6% richest people in the world.

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Do you bother getting up for breakfast at 4?

Haha, here my mother wakes up an hour before us to prepare breakfast then wakes us up. She's amazing.

56 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

What happens when a Muslim ends up beyond the Arctic Circle where there is arctic day?! :o or, you can go easy and go for arctic night?

There are different laws as such when it comes to this circumstance. To end up beyond the Arctic Circe means to travel there. And a travelling muslim is allowed to take it easy in things like prayer,fasting etc etc

6 minutes ago, Delightful said:

@Daniyah so you sleep during the morning? What about work/school? Do you have specific things you do all night or do you just read or whatever? 

so on Shabbat ie Friday dusk to Saturday dusk, Orthodox Jews don't do work. I remember reading back when Matisyahu was orthodox, he played a concert on Friday night in Alaska because Shabbat only began at like 11. That's crazy.  

And I think for Jews it generally not reccomended to live in the poles because it's just far too complicated. They did get kosher space food for the Israeli austronaut Ilan Ramon though. That's cool. :)

You guys get it easy XD, But I guess seeing as we have Jumah on Friday, which means we are exempt from work, except for necessary and important things, in which case we can only take time off to pray. In Muslim countries Jumah is like the weekend for us. Here in Australia however, we are still expected to keep up and continue working. 
also, what is kosher?

School is off, you know, summer vacation XD Parents do go to work though, if only a bit later than usual sometimes. As for what we do all night, I just read after I'm done praying and everyone else does whatever. 

Yep, Friday (Jumma) is weekend here

@Daniyah Where do you live? Can't Ramadan end up at any time of year because it's based on the lunar calendar?

is it easier in summer because no school, or harder because it's harder to do fun stuff?

@Darkness Ascendant kosher is a bunch of laws about food that can and can't be eaten, similar in some respects to Halal I think. There are definitely some products that are both. The basic principle of kashrut* is not mixing meat or milk, and not eating certain animals, but it gets a lot more complicated from there. 

So on Jumma are you exempt from work or forbidden from it? What do you do in Aus? 

*kosher describes the food, kashrut is the concept. 

In summer it's easier because there's no school, though it's really hot outside, and I prefer to stay indoors lest I get too thirsty.

Well, Ramadan doesn't end up at any time of the year, but every year Ramadan starts 11(?) days earlier than the previous year.

I live in the UAE

And no, we aren't forbidden from work, it's just that Friday holds importance and significance to Muslims and we have a special Friday prayer (Jumma prayer), so most Muslim countries take that into consideration and give Friday as a day off, and instead making Sunday a working day. It's like that here in the UAE too, schools, offices, etc

Edited by Daniyah

3 hours ago, Daniyah said:

I once saw a documentary about a Muslim family in Finland during Ramadan, I don't remember exactly but I think follow the local time and fast during the day hours. Don't know how they manage though 

I've heard that in 'impossible' situations, some choose to use the time in Mecca rather than the local time as a reference. I don't know if that's widespread, or even true, but...

56 minutes ago, Quiver said:

(As someone whose ignorance of both Judaism and Islam laps 'stupefying' to become 'vaygely impressive', can I just chime in to say this is a really interesting and enlightening conversation to read)

:D 

31 minutes ago, Eki said:

I've heard that in 'impossible' situations, some choose to use the time in Mecca rather than the local time as a reference. I don't know if that's widespread, or even true, but...

I read it somewhere too, it's probably true

16 minutes ago, Daniyah said:

:D 

I read it somewhere too, it's probably true

Especially if that place was the Internet. :D

We have a sort of similar thing that we face Jerusalem when we pray but if we don't know where Jerusalem is relevant to our current location, we just think about it. And we pray for rain in the rainy season in Israel regardless of the country we're actually in.

Theoretically though, if Ramadan is 11 days earlier every year, over 30-something years it'll have been in basically every season? 

@Quiver your ignorance is running laps around itself? That in itself is impressive. :P

As they say, the more you know,the more you know you don't know. 

Edit: @Daniyah, did you see Brandon when he was in the UAE this year? Was he anywhere near you?

Edited by Delightful

Just now, The Honor Spren said:

I would like to chime in and say I am also a little in awe. We fast every first Sunday of the month, but that's only for two meals. 

You're Mormon? 

Is that like....lent? I think?

so does that mean you skip meals, or you don't eat or drink anything at all for the time of two meals?

(I'm asking cause I was told as a kid that when most people say fasting it means drinking and sweets but nothing else and when Jews fast it means nothing at all. I am questioning this. And my only other point of reference, fasting blood tests, go better when you've been drinking water)

7 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

I thought Ramadan moved around! I was confused somewhat for a bit, but now I got clarification!

Yeah, it follows a lunar calendar, which effectively means it moves around the solar calendar most people are familiar with.