Theory: everyone is a Rithmatist (they just don't know it)

WayneSpren

It is an interesting thought, actually. If everyone has the potential to be a Rithmatist, as the church claims, then the population should have a much more random dispersion. But at the end of the book the Forgotten/whatever/thing that is now Nalizar, he mentions that the Shadowblazes didn't want Joel. So something happens on a entity-by-entity level that determines who gets the power and who does not. The gears that Joel sees when he enters the little box seem significant. They only line up at certain times. Perhaps some families with enough money can buy off the church to get their children in the proper order of alignment? Sounds like this could get a lot more serious the further a non-Rithmatist like Joel delves into it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, kinda new here, but I've been reading the books a while. Hope it counts. Anyway, it is a very interesting theory, but I swear he told melody about it and she flipped... May be wrong, its been a while, and I am known to dream about stories I've read. Either way, I remember melody flipping out over what happened, but still refusing to give specifics only saying it was wrong. Another flaw, I distinctly remember him forgetting he wasn't a rithmatist temporarily. Very interesting, but its a stretch, especially considering some of the kids would believe so much and want if so much they would practically know they were rithmatists, yet still be normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/8/2015 at 4:31 PM, Slowswift said:

Yay! Snickerdoodles are the best. And props on the interesting theory!

NO, Slowswift! Don't take the cookies!

Do I get any kind of reward for spotting @WayneSpren as a DA member? Probably not. Worth asking though.

As for the theory, I very much doubt this is the case. Fitch knew the line of silencing was rithmatic, but he had little reason to believe he could make it work this time, despite what Joel said. He'd drawn it a lot of times before and it didn't do anything then. The book "Origins of Power" talks about stuff like "chaining of a shadowblaze," which implies that one need not be incepted to become a rithmatist, instead seeming to say that you need to find and capture one of these creatures, much like the Nahel bond, now that I think about it. 

Edited by Narcoleptic Axolotl

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/8/2015 at 10:55 PM, Shadowspren said:

I'll agree that it is any interesting theory. The only thing is that I don't think Brandon would use something so simple... I have a feeling that is more complicated than that... then again I know that I'm not the only or first person to think this 

He wouldn’t do something so simple in the cosmere. The big Reckoners secret

Spoiler

That their weakness is tied to fear

Is quite simple 

• 5 months later...
On 3/12/2016 at 1:14 AM, Shardcellist said:

What about the claim that there could only be a certain number of Rithmatists at a time (another could not be made until a previous Rithmatist died)?

I think this is exactly right because when one Rithmatist dies, then the Shadowblaze(totally plausible that they're immortal) returns to its inception chamber and makes a new Rithmatist.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 11:49 AM, Darth Woodrack said:

One problem; Their is a fixed number of Rithmatists. If everyone was a rithmatist, but didn't believe it the number of rithmatists would be constantly  fluctuating. Good theory though.

Maybe it's a remnant of the time when Rithmatist was in the Cosmere? Because it almost sounds like measuring spren. Once people figured out that there is a "fixed" number of Rithmatists, and once the society/world started believing that en-masse, that's when it became "true." And that could also tie back into the original theory. Potentially. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the process seems similar to bonding a spren. Nalizar and Harding became Rithmatists by being posessed by Forgotten.

if you don't get to see a Shadowblaze you won't get to "bind" it.

Nalizar and Hardings example show that people can become Rithmatists at any moment in their life. which means, technically everyone is possibly a Rithmatists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Maybe it's a remnant of the time when Rithmatist was in the Cosmere? Because it almost sounds like measuring spren. Once people figured out that there is a "fixed" number of Rithmatists, and once the society/world started believing that en-masse, that's when it became "true." And that could also tie back into the original theory. Potentially. 

This theory is good because Mr Whatever who is Nalizar but is not, said that time is fictional, it was created by humans, they started believing it so it became truth, or something of the sort. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2015 at 1:53 PM, WayneSpren said:

This theory is based off of the fact that Rithmatic lines only work if you believe they will work and know what they do at the same time.

I LOVE THIS THEORY! The moment I saw saw the title I immediately started theorizing on how this could work. I haven’t re-read the rithmatists in a while so I couldn’t point out some of the holes in this theory I’m sure there are, but, overall, this is such a cool thought!