Site Upgrades! What do you think?

Rubix

Quick Thoughts!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Initial Reaction?

• I love it!
    • On the whole, I think I like it.
    • I'm not completely sold, but give it time.
    • Why is it different?!?
    • CHANGE IT BACK!!!!
    • I can't find feature (X)!!! I'll post it below.
  2. 2. New Forum Layout?

• Awesome!
    • This seems... Different.
    • It was far superior in the former arrangement!!!!
    • I can't find forum (X)!!! I'll post below.
    • WHY DID YOU LOCK MY FAVORITE RP (X)?!?
  3. 3. Sidebar?

• This is what I've been missing from my life. THANK YOU!!!
    • These could be put in a superior order. I'll post it below.
    • It's a little different, but I'll get used to it.
    • Why?!?
    • The site looks all squished now. I dislike it.

Not anymore. They changed it in IPB 3.2. I can only presume that it is to draw your attention to topics you care about (unread, and ones you've participated in). The default icon is a bit smaller and perhaps made more sense. 

Welcome to change :P

@Chaos Thanks for the blueness, it's a nice relief. :)

I have dutifully de-changed my signature, and it is much less harsh now.

I'm on iOS 6.1 (too lazy to re-jailbreak), so that might be the problem. Still not working on Safari as of 2 minutes ago.

EDIT: The "Reputation" tab started working again. I'm not sure if I like the change. It gives you less information and takes more space to do it. You can't really tell if a single post has been both up-voted and down-voted, for one, and it no longer tells you when the voting occurred.

I found this level of detail useful when checking whether a spike or drop in someone's Rep is due to a Rep-war (like in my Should Quotes be Attributed thread) or a vindictive/beneficent person going on a spree (also like in my thread, actually). This all sounds a bit narcissistic, but I've also used it to check if "counter voting" was called for, in borderline cases.

EDIT 2: I just hit "Use Full Editor" in the middle of writing the first edit, and it killed all my next-lines, turning it into a single block. Then it deleted everything when I tried to modify it. I hit CTRL+Z and got everything back (though still not with lines), but still...

Edited by Kurkistan

No need for an NDA :) I'm happy to send you the file and help how I can. I'll send it to your forum email.

EDIT: Apparently, this is a built in feature to IPB 3.2 and higher, which is why the hook was never updated. Go to the dropdown menu (upper right) and go to View New Content. In the "Other" tab, click "Items I have participated in". This will show unread replies in topics you've posted in :)

Excellent! Thank you! Upvote!

'm going to assume that the site remembers which theme you were last using - just logged in on desktop to find myself staring at the mobile site, which was a little strange. Easy enough to change, obviously, but a little disconcerting at first.

This especially happens if you use chrome on both and sync things, I haven't noticed it using android's native browser

@Chaos Thanks for the blueness, it's a nice relief. :)

I have dutifully de-changed my signature, and it is much less harsh now.

I'm on iOS 6.1 (too lazy to re-jailbreak), so that might be the problem. Still not working on Safari as of 2 minutes ago.

EDIT: The "Reputation" tab started working again. I'm not sure if I like the change. It gives you less information and takes more space to do it. You can't really tell if a single post has been both up-voted and down-voted, for one, and it no longer tells you when the voting occurred.

I found this level of detail useful when checking whether a spike or drop in someone's Rep is due to a Rep-war (like in my Should Quotes be Attributed thread) or a vindictive/beneficent person going on a spree (also like in my thread, actually). This all sounds a bit narcissistic, but I've also used it to check if "counter voting" was called for, in borderline cases.

EDIT 2: I just hit "Use Full Editor" in the middle of writing the first edit, and it killed all my next-lines, turning it into a single block. Then it deleted everything when I tried to modify it. I hit CTRL+Z and got everything back (though still not with lines), but still...

Psh, well who cares about Safari :P I kid, I kid.

Unfortunately the new Rep tab is a built in feature of 3.4. Admins will still be able to see who explicitly did downvotes, so we will just need to be more vigilant. I don't really like the change.

That's weird how it killed all the lines. I've been trying to replicate it, but I haven't figured out why it happens (though obviously it does, since it happened earlier). Very bizarre.

I'm going to assume that the site remembers which theme you were last using - just logged in on desktop to find myself staring at the mobile site, which was a little strange. Easy enough to change, obviously, but a little disconcerting at first.

I just tested this. Here's how you can fix that. Let's assume your desktop is set to the desktop skin. Then on your mobile device, you'll be directed to the desktop site (well, actually, initially I was auto directed to the mobile site, but nevermind that right now). If you would prefer to have the mobile site on your mobile device, don't tap "Change Theme" on it; instead there is a "Use Mobile Version" button just to the left of Change Theme. The Use Mobile Version button will set it for just that device, whereas Change Theme will change it for all devices. I've just tested this and it definitely works.

Use Mobile Version only appears on a touch device, by the way, so you don't see it when you're on a desktop or laptop. 

Edited by Chaos

New error! Yeah! :D

Sometimes, when I edit an existing posit (in the thread view after clicking "Edit", not using the full editor), I click "Save Changes", the little "stuff is happening" box pops up, and then it goes away and nothing happens. I'm still looking at the text-editor. If I refresh the page, my post has changed appropriately, but it doesn't show up to me until I refresh. This happens even if I hit "Save Changes" multiple times.

This is not a constant bug, but has happened two or three times by now.

Edited by Kurkistan

I don't know whether others had this problem but I couldn't print threads (each try with different browsers ended in a white page and not getting back to the forum itself) -- and now it works! Thanks! :)

Well, I can't say I ever tried the Print feature, but uh, yay that it's working? :P

New error! Yeah! :D

Sometimes, when I edit an existing posit (in the thread view after clicking "Edit", not using the full editor), I click "Save Changes", the little "stuff is happening" box pops up, and then it goes away and nothing happens. I'm still looking at the text-editor. If I refresh the page, my post has changed appropriately, but it doesn't show up to me until I refresh. This happens even if I hit "Save Changes" multiple times.

This is not a constant bug, but has happened two or three times by now.

I don't even know how you manage to find these errors that I can't replicate :P What system and browser are you using?

I don't even know how you manage to find these errors that I can't replicate :P What system and browser are you using?

Chrome, Windows 8 64 bit. Have fun with it. ;)

Edited by Kurkistan

Chrome, Windows 8 64 bit. Have fun with it. ;)

I suppose I'll test it more when I get home :P

EDIT: I have now fixed some critical layout issues with the main www.17thshard.com on mobile so it is now usable.

Edited by Chaos

The amount of SUCK that this new layout is equal to is significantly more than being a Zombie Elantrian/Drab/Coppercloud. I think we need to immediately go back to the previous layout. Even better would be if we revert to the site that I signed up for in 2010, I'm sure that everyone would agree with me on the fact that that layout was the best this site has ever had. I'm extremely disappointed  with the admins decision to change to this new format, the entire thing is awful.

[/sarcasm] 

Just kidding! this new layout is better than Jesus flavored ice-cream :)

Edited by SOM1else

I just tested this. Here's how you can fix that. Let's assume your desktop is set to the desktop skin. Then on your mobile device, you'll be directed to the desktop site (well, actually, initially I was auto directed to the mobile site, but nevermind that right now). If you would prefer to have the mobile site on your mobile device, don't tap "Change Theme" on it; instead there is a "Use Mobile Version" button just to the left of Change Theme. The Use Mobile Version button will set it for just that device, whereas Change Theme will change it for all devices. I've just tested this and it definitely works.

Use Mobile Version only appears on a touch device, by the way, so you don't see it when you're on a desktop or laptop. 

Apparently that Use Mobile Version button doesn't appear on WP8...

Double post, because I have a few enhancements I wish to announce.

I've made several improvements to the mobile site. On the posting side of things, you can now see the community statistics at the bottom of the board index. Okay, not life changing for sure. Perhaps more useful would be that you can now upvote and downvote posts on the mobile site.

Now on the navigation side of things, we now have a bit of navigation that makes sense, in that "Forums" is now the top level, rather than it being labeled "Home". I've also made it so the dropdown in the mobile site has more navigation in a more logical place. You can also access the front page from the dropdown now, which for some unfathomable reason is not built into IPB. So, yeah, I think all this makes the mobile site more usable.

Uhm, sorry, if this has been mentioned before: 

Internal server error! Something isn't quite right. However, if you are attempting to access the Coppermind, you are seeing this error intentionally. The Coppermind has been why the server has been very slow (and breaking), so I am temporarily turning it off. Don't fret, the wiki is all still there and we will figure something out soon. However we thought it better to have the main site operational. Best, Eric (If you aren't on the Coppermind and you see this error though, yeah, we're doomed :P)

This error occured after hitting the "post preview" button. Maybe I forced it (trying to play around with the quote-tag), BUT: I didn't in any way wanted to access the Coppermind. :) So, "yeah, I'm doomed". 

HItting the "back" button in my browser left me with the blank editor-window. :/ 

my netbook doesn't like you any more Eric, the site is now wider than its screen :P

It is still 1040 pixels wide, as it was in the previous skin. That shouldn't have changed. I don't remember if there was some minor scaling to scale the width down, but I'll investigate that later. Still, I'm pretty sure it's always been 1040 wide.

Please bear with me but this editor is REDACTED. I see writing this posting what the "real problem" is: Especially around quotes it's REDACTED. I hate it when the text gets so squashed. That's hard to read (for grandmas with bad eyes :P). Why doesn't it take my "returns". The posts get so crowded. :( And neither in the true text version nor in the wysiwyg-version the result after sending the post is the same than it was shown to me in the preview.

*cry* :)

Is there a "workaround" or something else?

But the rest of the new forum is fine and I got used to it quickly. Especially I'm happy that now I see in which threads I posted something. With this new symbols it's far more clear.

Please bear with me but this editor is REDACTED. I see writing this posting what the "real problem" is: Especially around quotes it's REDACTED. I hate it when the text gets so squashed. That's hard to read (for grandmas with bad eyes :P). Why doesn't it take my "returns". The posts get so crowded. :( And neither in the true text version nor in the wysiwyg-version the result after sending the post is the same than it was shown to me in the preview.

*cry* :)

Is there a "workaround" or something else?

But the rest of the new forum is fine and I got used to it quickly. Especially I'm happy that now I see in which threads I posted something. With this new symbols it's far more clear.

I noticed that too. It's annoying. I'm looking into it, but there may not be a way to change it.