What Do You Look Like?

Guest Cognizantastic

Kaymyth, ginger is good.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  I myself am not a ginger, but my husband is, and I love it.

I'm similar to my ponified picture except for skin color and, obviously, the fact that I am not a pony but am a human.  I have fair skin and burn way too easily in the sun.  I've been told my facial structure looks very much like that from my ancestral country, Germany.  That's the bulk of my heritage mixed with some Czech and some mix from Great Britain.  No one in my family quite knows where in the isles they originally sailed from. 

Kaymyth, ginger is good.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  I myself am not a ginger, but my husband is, and I love it.

I quite agree.  Again, my color adjustment comes not from a dislike of ginger, but a belief that I was simply not ginger enough.  And possibly also a bit of a reaction to growing up believing (thanks, Mom) that I was blonde.  I look back at pictures of myself as a kid now and wonder how on Earth I didn't realize that I had red hair then.  Teenaged-me, I give a pass, because I was always getting blonde highlights (again, thanks, Mom) which disguised my true nature.  But that had faded out by the time I was a senior, and I look at my senior pictures and go, dagnabbit, that is red.

I have no clue at all if this is too personal to ask so feel free to let me know if so: what's annoying about shaving vs having a beard?

Shaving is a chore. A few minutes every anywhere from a couple of days to a week doesn't sound like much, but it gets really tiresome after several months. On the other hand, once a beard - well, facial hair in general - grows more than a few millimeters, it starts to itch. Often. Not all the time, but often enough. When it gets to a little over a centimeter, or about half an inch, your mustache starts getting into your mouth, and that's a whole new level if annoying. 

So there are no winners in Game of Beards. You win or you shave. Beard is coming. A Lannister always shaves his head. Unbent, unbowed, unshaven. And so on, it's amazing how easy it is to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones to be all about facial hair...

I too am comfortable sharing my picture, as they are all on the Book of Faces and public anyway: 

11011893_362720803938807_787637458331956

That's me on the left, and my amazing girlfriend on the right.  :wub:

Edited by mail-mi

Shaving is a chore. A few minutes every anywhere from a couple of days to a week doesn't sound like much, but it gets really tiresome after several months. On the other hand, once a beard - well, facial hair in general - grows more than a few millimeters, it starts to itch. Often. Not all the time, but often enough. When it gets to a little over a centimeter, or about half an inch, your mustache starts getting into your mouth, and that's a whole new level if annoying.

So there are no winners in Game of Beards. You win or you shave. Beard is coming. A Lannister always shaves his head. Unbent, unbowed, unshaven. And so on, it's amazing how easy it is to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones to be all about facial hair...

And if you grow a beard to a serious length, does it still itch? Like, is it a growing-itch or just beardness?

Thanks for answering my weird questions. :)

And if you grow a beard to a serious length, does it still itch? Like, is it a growing-itch or just beardness?

For me, my beard always itches at a certain length (just beyond the peach fuzz state) and is itchy for a few weeks or so, before it starts getting longer and the itchiness goes away. It seems like there's a certain length where its short enough and rigid enough that small movements cause the hairs to rub you the wrong way or something.

I too am comfortable sharing my picture, as they are all on the Book of Faces and public anyway: 

That's me on the left, and my amazing girlfriend on the right.  :wub:

Y'all look weirdly familiar.  :huh:

Edited by Slowswift

Perrin never complained of his beard when he had it that I recall, but Matrim bloody Cauthon hated every bloody minute of his so there's the WoT's expert opinions on the matter ;)

And yeah, it's just annoying how no matter how much you shave it, the everbeard facial hear grows. Add to that risk of nicks, the feeling that there's a better way to spend the time, and such I find it really irksome.

As a woman, I have to say it: I hate beards  :ph34r: And I am in complete disarray to know they are now fashionable: all the young guys nowhave beards at work. 

I think they would all look better if they shaved, except one. He does have the "Perrin" look  :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

As a woman, I have to say it: I hate beards  :ph34r: And I am in complete disarray to know they are not fashionable: all the young guys nowhave beards at work. 

I think they would all look better if they shaved, except one. He does have the "Perrin" look  :ph34r:

Fashion is really in the eye of the beholder.

I must admit, that I am quite glad my husband dislikes facial hair as much as I do.  It's not just the scratchy factor when kissing, either; I'm beard-blind.  For me, looking at a person with a full beard is like looking at someone with a mask over half their face.  I can't lock onto facial features and have more trouble reading their expressions, not to mention the fact that my facial recognition brain insists that I do not know what this person looks like.

I have similar issues with things like clown makeup and mascot costumes and the like.  The "humanoid person" part does not match up with the "but where is their face?" part.  It's a brain processing issue.  I have a 5-year-old niece with the same issue but even more pronounced - she is absolutely terrified of people in masks, as well as men with beards.

Fashion is really in the eye of the beholder.

I must admit, that I am quite glad my husband dislikes facial hair as much as I do.  It's not just the scratchy factor when kissing, either; I'm beard-blind.  For me, looking at a person with a full beard is like looking at someone with a mask over half their face.  I can't lock onto facial features and have more trouble reading their expressions, not to mention the fact that my facial recognition brain insists that I do not know what this person looks like.

I have similar issues with things like clown makeup and mascot costumes and the like.  The "humanoid person" part does not match up with the "but where is their face?" part.  It's a brain processing issue.  I have a 5-year-old niece with the same issue but even more pronounced - she is absolutely terrified of people in masks, as well as men with beards.

For myself, I just do not like beards, much to the dismay of my husband who wants to grow one  :rolleyes:  :ph34r: I tried telling him it wouldn't be such a good idea because 1) he still has spots were the hair won't grow, 2) his beard would be grey  :o

Now, he figured since most of his hair are grey (he was cursed with premature grey hair), a grey beard would not be so bad  :blink:

I told him it was a matter of divorce  :o

He STILL wants to grow his stupid beard, so I gave up. I told him he could try it, during our vacations. Our daughter thinks he'll have a beard like Santa Claus  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

So I'll have a bearded husband sometimes in August  :unsure:

For myself, I just do not like beards, much to the dismay of my husband who wants to grow one  :rolleyes:  :ph34r: I tried telling him it wouldn't be such a good idea because 1) he still has spots were the hair won't grow, 2) his beard would be grey  :o

Now, he figured since most of his hair are grey (he was cursed with premature grey hair), a grey beard would not be so bad  :blink:

I told him it was a matter of divorce  :o

He STILL wants to grow his stupid beard, so I gave up. I told him he could try it, during our vacations. Our daughter thinks he'll have a beard like Santa Claus  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

So I'll have a bearded husband sometimes in August  :unsure:

Well, at least it's a time of year when it's most likely to make him too hot and get disgusted and shave it off.  :D

In all seriousness, as a compromise, there is a thing that exists called No-Shave November.  A lot of the guys at work like to do it.  They do it for a month, they have their fun, and then go back to normal.  There are two who do the full-on crazy beard all the time, though, and them I tease about them putting dwarf braids into their beards.