Blurb for Words of Radiance

Arran

I saw this link on another forum and thought it might be of interest here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=6&group=search&keywords=sanderson+brandon&searchContext=&searchOrgID=&searchCatalogID=&searchMailingID=&sku=0765326361

Having met the challenge of a posthumous collaboration with the great Robert Jordan to complete his classic, bestselling fantasy series The Wheel of Time® with three #1 New York Times bestsellers in a row, Brandon Sanderson is at last free to return to the decade-spanning task of creating his own multi-volume epic, one that he hopes will make a comparable mark on the field. That epic is The Stormlight Archive and it began in 2010 with Tor’s longest, most elaborately embellished novel ever, The Way of Kings.

In that first volume, we were introduced to the remarkable world of Roshar, a world both alien and magical, where gigantic hurricane-like storms scour the surface every few days and life has adapted accordingly. Roshar is shared by humans and the enigmatic, humanoid Parshendi, with whom they are at war. Among those caught up in the conflict are Brightlord Dalinar Kholin, who leads the human armies; his sister Jasnah, a renowned scholar; her student Shallan, a brilliant but troubled young woman; and Kaladin, a military slave who, by the book’s end, had become the first magically endowed Knight Radiant in centuries.

In Words of Radiance their intertwined stories will continue and, as Sanderson fans have come to expect, develop in unexpected, wonderfully surprising directions. The war with the Parshendi will move into a new, dangerous phase, as Dalinar leads the human armies deep into the heart of the Shattered Plains in a bold attempt to finally end it. Shallan will come along, hoping to find the legendary, perhaps mythical, city of Urithuru, which Jasnah believes holds a secret vital to mankind’s survival on Roshar. The Parshendi take a dangerous step to strengthen themselves for the human challenge, risking the return of the fearsome Voidbringers of old. To deal with it all, Kaladin must learn to how to fulfill his new role as leader of the restored Knights Radiant, while mastering the powers of a Windrunner.

With this second book, the Stormlight Archive grows even more richly immersive and compelling. Sanderson’s fans, old and new, are likely to lift it at least as high on the bestseller lists as its predecessor.

The part that really surprises me is the apparent restoration of the Knights Radiant, with Kaladin as their leader. I thought the KR's restoration, with official approval and support from Alethi and perhaps other nations, would wait at least until the end of of book 3. Though if the Parshendi really strenghten themselves, Kaladin might have to reveal his powers to protect the human armies. Or it could mean that Kaladin decides to secretly reform the Order, while people worthy of becoming Knights Radiant start finding their way to him for one reason or another. Shallan and Jasnah, who both seem destined to become KR of other Orders, are already on their way to the Shattered Plains. In any case, I'm really looking forward to the interaction between those characters.

Are we sure this blurb is legit? I don't recognize the website, and I can't find anything else online (especially not Tor or anything Brandon-related) to substantiate this. Things also appear to be moving a bit quickly: I would have thought Urithru was a more long-term goal.

Humm, it does seem to make sense. Then again, I don't see Dalinar leading anyone anywhere at his age and without his Plate. I thought it was implied that he wouldn't be leaving the warcamps anymore, but I could be wrong. Even if he hangs back, that's still significant danger for a highprince.

WoR spoilers

The dangerous new step for the Parshendi does make sense though. They've rediscovered stormform, which is terrifying if it's bringing them closer to becoming Voidbringers.

I do think the "Where's Urithiru?" plot line will be brought to a close before too many books. Brandon's said he intends most of the obvious mysteries to be cleared up quickly, with new ones appearing that had subtle hints in the other books.

Someone tweeted Brandon asking if this was legit. He responded:

Book isn't done yet, so the length is a guess. But we hope to have it out in November. Brandon's tweet

I don't know if he was just looking at the release date or if he read the whole synopsis. I agree that the part about Kaladin being leader of the Restored Knights Radiant seems odd, since he only discovered his powers a few months before the second book and doesn't know much more than stories about them. He doesn't even know anyone else who has powers, so how could he be their leader? It's possible for future books, but I was surprised when I read that as a synopsis for Words of Radiance.

I wish he at least stated what his source is. Is it speculation? Did he get a synopsis from Tor/Brandon? Read a part of the draft? We don't really know.

I do think the "Where's Urithiru?" plot line will be brought to a close before too many books. Brandon's said he intends most of the obvious mysteries to be cleared up quickly, with new ones appearing that had subtle hints in the other books.

A valid point. That seems more like a book 3 mystery, though, maybe even book 4, just from my reading.

I doubt he's read part of a draft. The idea of Shallan going into battle with the Alethi army seems fishy to me as well, what with how strong the gender roles are in Alethkar.

I also doubt this is based on a reading of the draft, but I have to disagree on Shallan. The blurb says she's tagging along, not joining them in the fighting. If the entire army is going, then they'll need their support base, and the court (including Jasnah and her apprentice) will most certainly come along too.

I also don't think things are that cut-and-dry so far as women being at least near active fighting goes: we know from Dalinar that most officers function as a single unit with their wives, so anything more logistically demanding than a single battle would probably need women along for the ride.

Edited by Kurkistan

Are we sure this blurb is legit? I don't recognize the website, and I can't find anything else online (especially not Tor or anything Brandon-related) to substantiate this. Things also appear to be moving a bit quickly: I would have thought Urithru was a more long-term goal.

I have no idea if this is legit. I saw the link on another forum, and the blurb appeared to me to be at least plausible, though I had reservations (especially the KR being reformed so quickly). So I decided to post it here to see what people more knowledgeable than I about the series and Sanderson himself thought of it. Urithiru being found quickly in book 2 would also be odd, though spending time combing through its ruins and/or analysing whatever writings and magical objects might be found there would give a lot of compelling limelight to the more scholarly characters like Shallan, Jasnah and Navani.

I found this one

Vanessa @wilde4fitness

@BrandSanderson is this legit? http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/...

Peter Ahlstrom @PeterAhlstrom

@wilde4fitness Assuming Brandon finishes the first draft in April, yes.

on Peter's Twitter, but I'm not sure whether he's only answering to the release date (his answer hints to this possibility) or whether the summary there is "legit".

edit: Ooops, Yemeth got Brandon's answer already. Both of them do not help us about our questions and confusion.

Edited by Meg

Brandon has read a parshendi pov section. Can't find the link at the moment. In it there are some lines that hint at the shattered plains being...more than they look. Urithiru hidden under centuries of crem?

Edited by Leuthie

I think it's legit, just going on writing style and quality. It's a professional advertisement by someone with years of experience.

The only thing I saw as "new" to us is "restored Knights Radiant". Still, the reviewer could be taking liberties. It says Kaladin was a KR by the end of Book 1, and that's not quite true. "Restored Knights Radiant" could also be slightly misleading.

Also, notice no mention of Szeth's assassination attempt? I wonder if it'll happen before these main events, or after, or during.

My impression of the blurb was someone who is just making a lot of assumptions and doesn't know a thing more than we do. For one, he states that Kaladin becomes a Radiant by the end of TWoK, which isn't entirely accurate.

This was the one thing I was struggling with as well. I was just thinking that maybe I was being stupid or everyone else had realized something I hadn't. I think that there is a lot more to becoming KR than discovering some powers.

Much of it is accurate, but not as accurate as what will eventually end up on the book's cover flap.

I'm sorry for me not really understanding:

accurate == precise, exact

or

accurate == true, correct, genuine

Thanks in advance.

If Kaladin is really the first Knight Radiant in centuries, he would have little choice but to lead the order: he's the only member. But what does that make Szeth and Jasnah, who had their powers long before he did?

Well Szeth isn't a KR, he isn't even bound to a spren, so he's not exactly going to contest the claim. As for Jasnah, it remains to be seen whether she's spoken the Ideals yet, or is simply at a "level 0" bond with one or more Truthspren, leaving her behind Kaladin so far as reaching full KR-status goes. We also have the fact that Nahel bonds seem to have existed before the KR, assuming that the guy in Dalinar's vision was actually Nohadon (on whom's book the KR were based), so Jasnah could have the powers of an order indefinitely without becoming a member of it.

Edited by Kurkistan

If Kaladin is really the first Knight Radiant in centuries, he would have little choice but to lead the order: he's the only member. But what does that make Szeth and Jasnah, who had their powers long before he did?

Well since the KR's were a primarily military order which is a masculine art, I'd say that while she may be more experienced at using her abilities in a practical and creative setting, Jasnah is probably a fair way behind Kaladin in terms of fighting strength and strategy.