World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

Yeah well the red head probably got you distracted... Somehow I thought red head and black skin worked... It was such a nice mental image. I re-read WoK recently and when I stumbled on it I thought: "YES, this is why I thought he was black, it said TAN right here." Imo, black and tanned are not the same thing, but my brain thought so at the time :unsure:

Shallan though is definitely described as "white".

All those Alethi thinking she's exotically pale. Adolin said her skin was "almost like a Shin." She does still have the epicanthic folds, so not totally "white" looking. I've pictured Korean actresses for Shallan before, but that's probably because I listen to too much kpop...

All those Alethi thinking she's exotically pale. Adolin said her skin was "almost like a Shin." She does still have the epicanthic folds, so not totally "white" looking. I've pictured Korean actresses for Shallan before, but that's probably because I listen to too much kpop...

Well, my husband has the "epicanthic fold" and he is very milky white so I tend not to take much head to these... I thus see Shallan as rather white, but with sightly almond eyes: the two are not mutually exclusive, but if Korean works better for you... then go for it :P They are supposed to be rather mixed in terms of appearance so I guess it is hard to go wrong. Mixed ethnicity children in my entourage tells me it can swing madly... anything is possible as long as you keep the majority of the demography faithful, you are probably close enough.

For myself, I see Shallan as the picture inside WoR. Beautiful  :lol:

I know Defending Elysium is not even near Cosmere, but I just have to share this. There is now way for me not to imagine Jason Write as Matt Murdock from Netflixs Daredevil. That is just perfect fit.

Mine is mainly names:

Elhokar - Elkohar

Alethkar - Alekthar (It never even occurred to me even when I see Alethi in book >.>)

Seeing Wit as kinda Elfish with long black hair and glasses (probably half-moon, with a wry twinkle in his eyes) Reminds me a bit of a librarian :blink:

Or Syl constantly changing shape, can only ever see her in the young woman form

Edited by ParadoxSpren

• 3 weeks later...

Giving Kaladin and the rest of the Alethi the proper colored skin in my head took a little bit of work, but I did get it, giving them the correct eyes though....Still having a hard time changing that part.

Rereading WoK again and I've realised that the buildings in Kharbranth are multi-coloured (and, indeed colour-coded!). I had been imagining it as pure white.

Something like Greek island of Santorini?

above-blue-suites-santorini-gen.jpg

I have a lot of problems:

-I can't help but see Rock as Baz

-oh Almighty above, THE SKIN TONES!

-Sadeas looks COMPLETELY different

-Syl looks like Fi from the Legend of Zelda

-I swear that Wit/Hoid looks like a strange elderly man

-I'm convinced that Elhokar is Marth

-I used to and will sometimes still see Kaladin as Magnus from Kid Icarus Uprising, but I don't think it was too far off.

-Tyn looks like a Drow Elf to me.

-oh Almighty above, THE HAIR COLORS!

-Lopen is the bean guy from Zelda: Ocarina of Time but with only one arm

-Parshendi war forms look somewhat like this Goron from Zelda

I'm probably still forgetting a few and may add them later, but this is it for now.

EDIT

-Jasnah looks like Bayonetta

-Gaz is unquestionably the carpenter from Zelda

Edited by Amrynn

-Jasnah looks like Bayonetta

This so much.

Also, Rock was always black in my mind during my first reading of the Stormlight Archive. I dunno why but I always thought he was the same kind of character as Galladon was to Raoden, and I just got them mixed up. Also, I was pretty much annoyed when everyone said Horneaters had red hair, and the only example of a Horneater we had was a black man (in my mind at least :P)

During my second reading, I noticed the "Red hair" thing when Brandon describes him... And then I imagined some kind of Scottish big guy with radioactive white skin and a mop of red hair.

I'd not been until I did read this thread that I learned that Rock is neither of those, but a red head with TAN skin. It's pretty hard to wrap my head around this particular idea.

Also, BS likes to troll us with the "asian" thingies. At first I thought that the Shin were asian (they are SMALL, and have that particularly-asian-like-ish name), then I thought EVERYONE else was Asian, because Shin have round eyes and pale skin. Now, I decided that Roshar is unlike our world. In Roshar, when your mother is blonde and your father brunette, you end of having locks of either color instead of a healthy in-between... So... I decided that Alethkar inhabitants have "european" eyes, tan skin and mostly black hair. Shin people, are small and pale, and have EXCEPTIONALLY round and big eyes. And no-one is asian. Well, maybe those with the extra-long eyebrows...

Well, maybe those with the extra-long eyebrows...

Yes, the eyebrows also mess me up because it''s so... unnatural. And on the subject of Rock, when I read about his RED sideburns, I rethought everything I knew about character appearances at that point, leading me to realize most of the bullets on my list.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I've said this before, but I always think of Sadeas as pretty fit, but in his PoV in WoR he gets described as portly I think. It totally threw me off and I still struggle with the conflicting images.