World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

Does anyone else do this?

Sometimes I end up imagining things in books happening in places I know from real life. For example: in my mind this one battle from a non-Sanderson book was going on (in a very extended version of) my backyard. And it's annoying. And I know that's not what it's supposed to look like. But I can't get the freakin image out of my head! >.<

Sound familiar to anyone else, or is that just my messed up brain?

Sometimes I end up imagining things in books happening in places I know from real life. For example: in my mind this one battle from a non-Sanderson book was going on (in a very extended version of) my backyard. And it's annoying. And I know that's not what it's supposed to look like. But I can't get the freakin image out of my head! >.<

I do the same thing.

Coming from reading the newly released Shadows of Self prologue I now have a new one.

I always thought of Weathering as a town out of an old western movie. Which the town itself and the vibe the man-made parts give off actually are to the T, but the actual environment appears to actually be a savannah complete with lions, giraffes, and acacia trees.

One misconception I have is Shallan's name. WoB puts it as Shuh-lawn and I've heard many others pronounce it Shal-un (or Shal-on).

For some reason I've never like how either sounds and so I've always pronounced it as Shay-lan. (EDIT: the lan portion I say more like Len or Lyn) Has a sort of Celtic name sound to it.

Cheers!

Edited by SingTheSorrow

Adolin as Arthas... I didn't realize it until now, but I did imagine him this way.

And I don't know why you have this russian impression of Rock... for me he was always from Hawaii ;) Also for me Delinar is just Jeremy Irons playing Tiberius in Kingdom of Heaven. Renarin is indeed Milo from Atlantis (Disney). 

Also I pictured Ham from Mistborn looking like Kensei Muguruma from Bleach.

That's it, Szeth is now officially Aang in my head (older than in the tv show, and of course darker and more conflicted emotionally).

jW

Well, Aang is the conflicted bald airbender, minus the dark part and never actually killing anyone.

The more murderous bald airbender would be Zaheer, but he's never conflicted. Hmm.

Numuhukumakiakiaialunamor'''''' (place apostrophes where appropriate) I picture as a GIANT Scot with a Polynesian accent.

I used to think he was just straight up Polynesian/Islander, but then I read his description.

Well, Aang is the conflicted bald airbender, minus the dark part and never actually killing anyone.

The more murderous bald airbender would be Zaheer, but he's never conflicted. Hmm.

Now I imagine a fight in WOR looking like this:

318.jpg

*Glances sideways at own avatar* It's possible I imagine Renarin looking like Watanuki Kimihiro from 'Holic. And that means that in my head (at least until I hear differently) the Nightwatcher looks like Yuuko Ichihara. :ph34r:

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor] (place apostrophes where appropriate) I picture as a GIANT Scot with a Polynesian accent.

I used to think he was just straight up Polynesian/Islander, but then I read his description.

Done. Shallan's fake name has three, I think, but Rock's just got one.

The way I remember it is that there's almost like... two rhyming sets, and then the apostrophe.

1. Numu-huku
  2. maki-aki
  3. APOSTROPHE!
  4. aia
  5. lunamor

It helps break up that "iaia" too, so that they're not all smushed together. 

For some reason I just can't help but picture Lopen as a total stud: rock solid abs, perfect pecs, bulging biceps (er um I mean bicep), flowing, beautiful locks of golden hair and a Zoro-like mustache. And for some reason all he wears is a banana hammock. Mmm ;)

That is definitely not something I thought I would read today haha.

In my head Lopen is a closer scrawny-ness to Ragetti the one eyed pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean. Only of course one armed and blue finger nails. (His people have blue quartz like finger nails right)

And I don't know why you have this russian impression of Rock... for me he was always from Hawaii ;)  

^^this

Ahh yes now I recall my mistake. I remember reading crystalline finger nails and blanking out the slate part, thus my mind thought "Oh sparkly blue crystals".

Another misconceptionon on my behalf I suppose

Well, Slate is often a blue-ish gray color, so you're not totally wrong.

Ahh yes now I recall my mistake. I remember reading crystalline finger nails and blanking out the slate part, thus my mind thought "Oh sparkly blue crystals".

Another misconceptionon on my behalf I suppose

Well, as this thread runs to ten pages, I'd say you're certainly not the only one. Between us all, we have lots of unusual ideas about Sanderson's worlds!

All Sanderson worlds are so brilliantly created in such a lot of detail but, even so, there's always room for imagination to run amok!

For me, it's spheres. I know from early on in WoK (don't have my copy to hand to quote) that they're the size of a fingernail and slightly flattened on one side to prevent rolling but I only noticed that on my second read through by which time they were thoroughly established in my "head-Roshar" as being the size/shape of Christmas baubles :ph34r:  :rolleyes: . In my head, most people are carrying unwieldy, lumpy heavy bags of spheres (I know, entirely practical for soldiers like Kaladin!) and anyone remotely wealthy would need a couple of parshmen pushing a wheelbarrow to carry their small change! I know it makes no sense but I can't shift my initial picture.

Anyone else have things like that when reading fantasy books?

Oh god I've been picturing spheres wrong all along. 

When I first read Way of Kings, Rock had a rather thick Russian accent. 

Syl was green, but she's shifted towards blue. 

My picture of Syl varies a little but she's generally somewhere in the green-blue-aqua spectrum. I'm actually pretty pleased with this drawing of her I did:

QNzM8M0.png

Ardents are air benders minus the tattoos and beads.

Oh my god yes. 

The thing that probably trips me up the most is pronunciations. Redoing all of mine after finding out they were wrong is still difficult, even though I'm someone who reads them aloud a lot. Notable examples, with my bad pronunciations:

• Renarin (I said RIN-uh-rin instead of ren-AHR-in) - my darling son and I don't even know how to say his name???
  • Shallan (I said SHAH-lin instead of shuh-LAWN) - girl, why is your name weird like that
  • Jasnah, Jah Keved, Jakamav, Jezrien - all those "J's" are probably supposed to be "Y" sounds right?
  • Adolin (I said AH-doh-lin instead of AY-doh-lin) - I get tripped up on Adonalsium too. Why those long A sounds???
  • Demoux and Renoux (I said ren-OH and dem-OH instead of ren-OO and dem-OO) - Literally there's no excuse for this one even. I SPEAK FRENCH. It rhymes with genoux and roux??? If it were "oh" it'd be "eaux". French Pronunciation 101 and Feather messed it up.

Other kinds of misconceptions are, but not limited to:

• Forgetting that Shallan is allergic to flowers (She's a botanist who's allergic to flowers, how do I forget that?)
  • That whole thing about Dalinar supposed to be unhandsome (Lol Brandon, you're wrong, Dalinar is definitely a hot dad)
  • Forgetting that Denth is supposed to be a bad guy (But I liiiiiike him)
  • Mraize is probably not actually as sexy as I imagine him (Sorry, meanwhile I'm being garbage over here)
  • Spheres are way smaller than I usually think of them (Thumbnail sized? Really??? That's so tiny!!!)
  • Marsh probably had blonde hair (I forget that Marsh and Kelsier looked similar soooo often)

...okay looking over these I see that "characters are probably not actually as attractive as I imagine them to be" seems to be a trend. Welp. *shrugs*

Whoa what? ShuhLAHN? Is that supposed to be it? It's totally SHALL-an to me, never gonna convince me otherwise.

I also say Jasnah with a J sound (sometimes more like a "zh"). Usually Jah Keved too, I go back and forth with Jakamav.

Neither of those are how I say Adolin - I put the emphasis on the second syllable, uh-DO-lin. Is that wrong too? :(  I'm so confused and disillusioned...

Yeah I kinda do this sometimes. Often with rooms/houses.

I don't know if I have particularly unique or weird mental images of most characters. Though I do often pull in associations from other media.  Like Renarin totally looks like Kyoya from OHSHC.  Oh and Lift is TOTALLY Sette Frummagem from Unsounded.  And (switching to Mistborn) this is kinda weird but I always pictured Breeze kinda like Benjamin Franklin.

Edited by nutellaspren

<snip>

Whoa what? ShuhLAHN? Is that supposed to be it? It's totally SHALL-an to me, never gonna convince me otherwise.

I also say Jasnah with a J sound (sometimes more like a "zh"). Usually Jah Keved too, I go back and forth with Jakamav.

Neither of those are how I say Adolin - I put the emphasis on the second syllable, uh-DO-lin. Is that wrong too? :(  I'm so confused and disillusioned...

<snip>

Don't be disillusioned! As you can see, lots of us say the names in a plethora of different ways. I say SHALL-an, exactly as you do. As someone (maybe more) has already said on this thread, Sanderson has said he is very relaxed about pronunciation. He has no problem with fans riffing/mangling (*delete as applicable) his creations. Just as well, really, as this thread proves!

I picture Rock as more Parshendi looking, with unnaturally black skin and red patterns to go along with his hair.

That's kind of amusing, since I believe Rock is actually the palest of the bridgemen. Light skin, red hair (which is why he calls Shallan "cousin"). Sigzil, as an Azish, is the darkest.

That's kind of amusing, since I believe Rock is actually the palest of the bridgemen. Light skin, red hair (which is why he calls Shallan "cousin"). Sigzil, as an Azish, is the darkest.

Rock is physically described as being very tanned..... I have always seen him as darker than most, except Sigzil. I initially pictured him as a black man because of his descriptive in WoK, but realized I got it wrong... It said "tan" not "black". Not the same thing. In any way, he is not described as being white skinned, unless I missed another quote, which is entirely possible.

Rock is physically described as being very tanned..... I have always seen him as darker than most, except Sigzil. I initially pictured him as a black man because of his descriptive in WoK, but realized I got it wrong... It said "tan" not "black". Not the same thing. In any way, he is not described as being white skinned, unless I missed another quote, which is entirely possible.

Ack, I just looked it up and you're right. Tan skin is how Rock is described. I guess he probably matches the rest of bridge 4!

Ack, I just looked it up and you're right. Tan skin is how Rock is described. I guess he probably matches the rest of bridge 4!

Yeah well the red head probably got you distracted... Somehow I thought red head and black skin worked... It was such a nice mental image. I re-read WoK recently and when I stumbled on it I thought: "YES, this is why I thought he was black, it said TAN right here." Imo, black and tanned are not the same thing, but my brain thought so at the time  :unsure:

Shallan though is definitely described as "white".